Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Alternatives To Nytol?

I have problems sleeping and will normally wake up at least twice before I get up. Also, I stay awake for ages (usually from 9am-12/1am) and don't sleep long.

I mentioned this to my doctor, because of self harm, he says he can't give me sleeping tablets. (and they're addictive) Nytol doesn't help me at all. Is there anything else I could try?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They have sleeping pills that are non addictive now, or melatonin supplements. I'm surprised your doctor didn't discuss things more throughly with you than just saying he can't give you one particular type of many options.
  • Options
    Because of overdoses, I know I still wouldn't be given them by my doctor. :(
  • Options
    bwah wah, if I knew the answer to this I'd be awell rested bunny. Are you on ADs for your self-harm or anything. You could ask your doc to put you on ones to help you sleep.
  • Options
    No I'm not. My doctor refused to give me anything for my self harm as well. (why he's convicned I'm going to overdose, I really don't know)
  • Options
    oh, ok. What has he done then, does he listen to you, and ask how you're feeling? Has he refered you for other help, at all? If you do not feel he is being helpful or taking your problems as seriously as they seem to you, you can see another doctor, or even change practice.
  • Options
    He has refered me for help.
  • Options
    Have you talked to the other help about this?
  • Options
    No I haven't. As my sleeping isn't getting any better (it's getting worse and it's becoming stupid as I usually want to go to bed around 8pm) it looks like I'm going to have to back to the doctors.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    He has refered me for help.

Ah ok, well that's something. You will just have to ride it out through all the waiting. A warm bath, glass of warm milky drink, right temperature bedroom, comfy mattress, and trying not to worry should help. Though only if you can stop your brain from worrying about things at bedtime, which I find hard to do. Writing a list of things you are worried about is supposed to help. Or, you could do what I do and fuck around on the internet drinking until you are too battered to stay awake any longer! lol

Do you drink tea or coffee? I stop drinking caffeine drinks after about 3 in the afternoon, unless it's mixed with alcohol.

Try and set your alarm for the same time every morning, and get straight out of bed when it goes off.

These tips were brought to you by katralla and in no way replace medical advice.
  • Options
    Thanks. I've stopped drinkiong tea and coffee all together now. TBH, it never woke me up, apart from once. (the first time I had it or something)
  • Options
    Have you tried essential oils e.g. lavender? If you want more info on blends and mixtures just say, I have a few books on it :)
  • Options
    http://www.biovea.net/product_detail.asp?PID=396&CID=0&POS=6&PageNo=&Total=19

try these, they put me to sleep fine but i have vivid dreams and wake up alot although my friend thinks they are great. work for some but not others i think
  • Options
    If you can import melatonin from abroad that's usually really good. otherwise try kalms?
  • Options
    If you can import melatonin from abroad that's usually really good. otherwise try kalms?

Never heard of melatonin and haven't tried Kalms yet.

Thanks Kirsty. Haven't tried any oils yet.
  • Options
    Canabis
  • Options
    Never heard of melatonin and haven't tried Kalms yet.

Thanks Kirsty. Haven't tried any oils yet.

Melatonin is a hormone naturally produced in the body. Its released in dark and supressed by light. Levels are typically higher before bed. It is often used for insomnia, or short things like jet lag, sleep disturbance patterns and its also an antioxident ;) Not too long ago I was talking to a woman that was praising it, oddly enough. It's just in the store's by the supplements and/or sleep aids, I'm sure you could buy it from Amazon or some place.
  • Options
    Thanks. Will try adn see if I get that somewhere in town.

No thanks Calvin. (or were you joking?)
  • Options
    Just be careful of the dosage and such though. I"ve read a couple places the dosage used for the antioxdent effect can have adverse reactions on sleep. It can also interfear with some ssri's and cause stomache troubles. I'd say it sounds more of something you should take up with a doctor first. Maybe something you could ask the other doctor you were refered to? I think your-babe's idea is nice. My mom can't often sleep. She has a bed spray of lavender. It's made to be sprayed on your pillow and sheets. A lavender bath before bed too maybe. Also, I know you said you don't drink tea, but there is some caffiene free tea which I've had, cammomile and sleepy time by celestial seasonings (which has cammomile and spearmint) which are ment to help.

Also a set pattern helps. Even if you can't sleep, just lay in bed. Getting up and doing things, even watching tv will only stimulate you and make it even harder. Tired or not, try to sleep at the same time and wake up at the same time. One of those eye patch thingies might help. I've also been told to use your bed only for sleep. Don't read in bed, watch tv in bed, computer in bed and all that. Get your body accostumed to bed=sleep.
  • Options
    Maybe something you could ask the other doctor you were refered to?

Only seen him once and don't know if I'm going to have to see him again.
    I've also been told to use your bed only for sleep. Don't read in bed, watch tv in bed, computer in bed and all that. Get your body accostumed to bed=sleep.

Which I always do.

I don't use those eye things you're talking about, but do use earplugs.
  • Options
    Thats a good idea. Have you ever tried "relaxing" music or noises or white noise? That helps some too. I'll ask my mom for more and harass you with them later :p
  • Options
    I have problems sleeping and will normally wake up at least twice before I get up. Also, I stay awake for ages (usually from 9am-12/1am) and don't sleep long.

I mentioned this to my doctor, because of self harm, he says he can't give me sleeping tablets. (and they're addictive) Nytol doesn't help me at all. Is there anything else I could try?

How about "Sounds of Nature"?

some rain forest sounds, ocean sounds - usually good for help people go to sleep.
  • Options
    I'm not sure it's available in english stores. my brother used to use it and it was always bought from america cos it's unavailable here. maybe that's changed.