Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Another step towards Cold War II

Just like they did during the Cold War, Russian nuclear bombers have once again taken to the skies on 'patrol' missions. The MoD has just announced it scrambled fighter jets 4 days ago to intercept a Tu-95 headed for the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6957589.stm

Things get better by the day eh?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Russia isn't the USSR - its lost about half its population. And whilst it wants its 'place in the sun' it not ruled by an expanionist ideology, so it won;t be passing out AKs to all and sundry.
  • Options
    Nonetheless Putin worries me.

It is all perhaps to be expected after the other side decided to erect a missile 'defence' system on his doorstep, but still... We're going backwards at the moment with each side tearing up another arms treaty every month.
  • Options
    I think they'll be a cooling of relations and exchanges of harsh words. But I don't think my children will be in West Germany training in preperation for a Russian Guards Army crossing the border.

The USSR used to be a world power, now Russia is a regional one.

historically the good relations between the UK and Russia after the fall of the cold war was the historical oddity
  • Options
    The USSR used to be a world power, now Russia is a regional one.

I wonder if they would harrass the Chinese which make up most of their south eastern border? If I was Putin, I would consider any possible danger would come from there - not faff about testing British airspace. China is far more than a regional power and if push came to shove, my money would be on China to win a scrap. I am sure Putin knows that, so is concentrating his sabre-rattling elsewhere.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    my money would be on China to win a scrap.

I would have to put my money on Russia, Russia has 16,000 Nuke warheads, over 5,830 active, China has 130.
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    Teagan wrote: »
    my money would be on China to win a scrap.

I would have to put my money on Russia, Russia has 16,000 Nuke warheads, over 5,830 active, China has 130.

Ouch! Ok. Everyone be nice to Mr Putin, y'hear??? ;)
  • Options
    We still have enough nukes 200+ to make Mr Putin think twice as well, plus most of ours are hidden from view. He decided to keep most of his in an ageing Backfire fleet and silos.
  • Options
    Don't underestimate the Ruskies-'look what happened to Hitler and Napoleon'. As far as their so called "sabre rattling" on the world stage is concerned, i'd say it's an inevitable response to the monotous provocations by the "world's only superpower."
    As regards Russia and China, if recent joint military excercises are any indication, their relationship is very sweet indeed!
  • Options
    To be honest I think, unlike Hitler and Napoleon, we have no immediate plans to march on Moscow.
  • Options
    if i was putin i'd be rattlin me sabre too.
    the one super power is bullying the world like never before ...we need a balance.
    the one super power is causing utter chaos in the middle east and threatening more ...with Iran. russia has a lot of biz with Iran ...you can't expect anyone to keep rolling over while more and more of their interests are being threatened.

scarier than bombers is putin disconnecting the gas!
  • Options
    What the hell is Vladmir Putin actually up to? I'm baffled.
  • Options
    Georgia fires at 'Russian plane'

Georgian forces have fired at an aircraft they believed to be Russian after it violated Georgian airspace, a senior government official said.
    Tbilisi could not confirm whether the plane was shot down, but said that a nearby section of forest, in Abkhazia's Kodori Gorge, was on fire.

Russia dismissed the claim, and an air force spokesman called it "the latest provocation aimed against us".

The two ex-USSR states' relations have been strained since a 2006 spy row.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6963081.stm

I know relations between neighbours can be strained but shooting at airplanes during peacetime seems a tad full on does it not?

The thing is I don't see Georgia as a warmongering nation so I suspect they felt they had to make a point.

Putin worries me more and more...
  • Options
    There's been a history of clashes between Georgia and Russia. I don't think there's much doubt that Russia is trying to bully its direct neighbours, but its a regional threat not a global one.
  • Options
    It's just pathetic hot air. Russia trying to flex it's dwindling muscles (they have more abortions than births there apparently) as per usual.The missile shield is a defensive weapon it poses no threat to them at all. They're a proud bunch, they just don't want to go quietly into the land of the second rate power/satellite state of the U.S. Still, that's no excuse to go around killing ex-KGB agents in London. It won't be a Cold War 2, it'll just be like in the 19th century when we were a bit wary of each other, we have a long and dignified history of being wary of each other, we shouldn't throw away that tradition.

oh, and how hot are those new Euro-Fighter Typhoons? That's a bloody sexy bit of kit that is.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6963081.stm

I know relations between neighbours can be strained but shooting at airplanes during peacetime seems a tad full on does it not?

The thing is I don't see Georgia as a warmongering nation so I suspect they felt they had to make a point.

Putin worries me more and more...

Haven't Georgia learned recently the dire consequences of fucking with Putin? As if the embargo on Georgian products (including the miraculous Borjhomi water which I used to love) and cutting the gas subsidy didn't teach them...

Like most sane people, I totally understand Vlad's sabre-rattling as a natural response to the US being provocative dickheads as usual.

I think the West should be verrrrrry careful about pissing off the Kremlin, especially if we want any oil and gas for the next 50 years, not to mention diamonds, gold, lumber etc.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    The missile shield is a defensive weapon it poses no threat to them at all.

Of course it is, because it discounts the Mutually Assured Destruction situation that we're currently in..
  • Options
    Of course it is, because it discounts the Mutually Assured Destruction situation that we're currently in..

Not really. The Russians say they have missiles that can penetrate the defense shield.