Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hostels...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

My mate is 6 months pregnant and she's living with her mum, she applied to council but they said she isnt priority because its just classed as over crowding. So, tomorrow she's going "homeless" and she knows she gonna have to go in a hostel, was just wondering if anyone has experienced it and if so how long does it normally take?

Cheers in advance

Lisa And Sam.
x

Comments

• Options
    Would she not be better of at home with her mum until she can get a council property another way?
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Would she not be better of at home with her mum until she can get a council property another way?

I agree. A hostel is no place for a 6 month pregnant woman.
  • Options
    I agree with the above, a hostel is no fit place for someone who is 6 months pregnant, especially if they've got somewhere better they could be.

It's also unlikely to work because it'll rapidly become apparent when she 'goes homeless' that she's just left her mums so she still won't be a priority.
  • Options
    Agreed with the above - whats wrong with staying with her Mum?

Surely her Mum would not want her to leave to stay in a hostel anyway, especially since she's pregnant!
  • Options
    i've stayed in a hostel before, all though not because i needed council housing or any thing. basically they are absolute shit holes (- and i don't say that lightly) full of hard core druggies, alcoholics and the like. you cannot leave you stuff for 5 mins when you go and take a shower or whatever 'cos turn your back and your stuff will be gone. it certainly 'aint no place to go to if you have a choice in the matter.
  • Options
    Well, she wants somewhere before she has the baby, and if she stays at her mums they'll never give her anywhere anytime soon. Her mum said she needs somewhere by the time she has her baby.

Hmm, hard one.
  • Options
    GhostGirl wrote: »
    Well, she wants somewhere before she has the baby, and if she stays at her mums they'll never give her anywhere anytime soon. Her mum said she needs somewhere by the time she has her baby.

no. but once she has the baby she will be a priority.
    why can't she stick it out at her mums till then?
  • Options

Hmm, hard one.

What's wrong with her staying at her mum's after the baby is born?
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    no. but once she has the baby she will be a priority.
    why can't she stick it out at her mums till then?
    Nope, we have a mate in same situation and her baby has just gone one.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    What's wrong with her staying at her mum's after the baby is born?
    Cos she shares with her little sis so theres no room.
  • Options
    Surley she should be a priortiy as it will be overcrowded?? On my old street a girl got pregnant and she was sharing with her sis, council got her a house straight away. I suppose it varies in each county tho.
  • Options
    Doesn't sound ideal either way but better to try the hostel thing I guess before the kid is born then be in similar accommodation afterwards
  • Options
    has she not got any money saved from a job which she can use to get somewhere on her own or is she just automatically entitled to a free house cos she is pregnant? :grump:
  • Options
    It's all well and good saying that she should stay at home with her mum but if she really needs a place, the ONLY way to go straight to the top of the list to be classed as homeless, and for that to happen her mums needs to write a letter saying she can not stay there anymore from x date.
    The council will not take her seriously until then. Overcrowding is still not priority as you have a roof over your head.

As for hostels, where i live they often put you in b&b instead of hostels, and even in the hostels, some are actually very nice!

ETA she will only stay in these places until a more permanent place becomes avalible. I am pretty sure she wont be that prioity for a permanent place until shes had the baby.
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    has she not got any money saved from a job which she can use to get somewhere on her own or is she just automatically entitled to a free house cos she is pregnant? :grump:
    Everyone is entitled to a "free house" its just the lists are huge and they grade you on how far up or down the list you should be.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    It's all well and good saying that she should stay at home with her mum but if she really needs a place, the ONLY way to go straight to the top of the list to be classed as homeless, and for that to happen her mums needs to write a letter saying she can not stay there anymore from x date.
    The council will not take her seriously until then. Overcrowding is still not priority as you have a roof over your head.

As for hostels, where i live they often put you in b&b instead of hostels, and even in the hostels, some are actually very nice!

ETA she will only stay in these places until a more permanent place becomes avalible. I am pretty sure she wont be that prioity for a permanent place until shes had the baby.
    This is true, her mums written her a letter etc. Here the hostels I imagine would be horrible. She could stay with me coz I've got a 3 bed flat and its only me but that isnt gonna help her get her own place. And shes thinking, if she goes in a hostel now before she has the baby rather than when shes had the baby. I would never let her then tho, I'd make her stay at mine, regardless as to how bad she needs a place. I dont think she'd do it with a child anyway.

Shes thinking of borrowing the money now to rent.
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    has she not got any money saved from a job which she can use to get somewhere on her own

Real World<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>> You.

If it was that easy, don't you think that she would have done that?
  • Options
    She could stay with me coz I've got a 3 bed flat and its only me but that isnt gonna help her get her own place.

If anything it will make it harder to get support from the council because she will be consider "housed" and therefore very low on the priority list.
    Shes thinking of borrowing the money now to rent.

Beware, she could find it really difficult to pay it back and she'll have enough on her plate without worrying about debts...
  • Options
    If anything it will make it harder to get support from the council because she will be consider "housed" and therefore very low on the priority list.

Beware, she could find it really difficult to pay it back and she'll have enough on her plate without worrying about debts...
    I know yeah, but shes really panicking shes not gonna get a place and she doesnt want her baby bought up in a horrible place. its such a hard one.
  • Options
    I can understand that but she needs to think long term and not just "right now"... fine she could have a place, but with debts it will just make it much much harder to get by. Babies are seriously expensive...
  • Options
    I know yeah, but shes really panicking shes not gonna get a place and she doesnt want her baby bought up in a horrible place. its such a hard one.

So why can't she stay with you?:confused:
  • Options

Not really a long term solution is it?
  • Options
    Well, it's better than staying in a hostel.
  • Options
    Well, it's better than staying in a hostel.

For the short term yes, for the long term no.
  • Options
    Cos I'm like 30 miles away from all her friends and family and also, it wont help her get her own place.

I'd love it, she cooks and cleans, shes like my mum but my age. :D
  • Options
    Real World<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>> You.

If it was that easy, don't you think that she would have done that?

meh, i know, having a bit of a bad afternoon and bugged me where it seemed it was expected that this person should be entitled to a free house

meh, i still live with me rents so i can't say much :D (i want a free house :( )
  • Options
    The houses arent free, you still have to pay bills (rent if working, council tax) etc.

They are designed to help people in need which she is. Not everyone can afford to rent privately (or even if they can its not very secure) you could be moving every 6 months which is not stablity.
    Lots of people can't afford to buy either so give her a break.

We were housed by the council (got HA house) because after moving to a house from a flat, the landlord said that it was going to be a long term let but put the house on the market 4 months later.
    We simply couldn't pay out several hundred pounds every 6 months on top of everything else.
    I don't know many people that could. So was it wrong that we asked the council to help us? I don't think so, we were in genuine need as she is too.
  • Options
    yeah i understand that they are designed to help people in need, that's not what i was saying

what i was griping about was the OPs assumption that people are automatically entitled to them and there may be ways to skip the system by 'going homeless'

but as i said, i was having an off afternoon so feel free to ignore me anyway :)
  • Options
    I might have missed something obvious - sorry if that's the case...

..but, what would stop her from signing on to Job Seekers allowance and Housing Benefit and using that to get her own place?
  • Options
    I might have missed something obvious - sorry if that's the case...

..but, what would stop her from signing on to Job Seekers allowance and Housing Benefit and using that to get her own place?

It's not that simple. Private accommodation usually requires a deposit of one month's rent. Also, some landlords do not accept people on benefits.