Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

so the stables in camden is to be knocked down

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/content/press/2006/october-2006/camden-council-planning-decision-on-stables-market.en

just how do these decisions get made, it'll blatantly land up as posh offices or chain shops :(

there's a petition for it but as if anything legal can be done now :s

Comments

• Options
    Does this mean goodbye to Cyberdog? [/blatant sarf Londoner]
  • Options
    So it would seem, I would still say sign the petition anyways, who knows it might get a reprieve.
  • Options
    Strike another victory for the right of property developers to make a killing without any consideration other than profit to be taken into account.
  • Options
    I'm going to Proud Galleries at te Stables tonight :thumb:

I heard something about this before, if it goes ahead it would be a step closer to making Camden just like everywhere else really :grump:
  • Options
    Many parts of London have already lost any individual character they once had, give it a few years and Camden will have lost everything that made it different... No doubt it'll all get gentrified, 'regenerated' and cleaned up. Where will 15 year olds go to buy weed, tacky cigarette lighters and second hand t-shirts?

London is one of the best cities in Europe - but my friends look at me with disbelief when I say I'd rather live in Berlin. But, Berlin has an exciting edge London lacks... London (and Britain generally) is becoming a sprawl of the same chain shops, chain restaurants, chain cafes and chain pubs. It's the latter that pisses me off the most, proper local pubs with character make Britain; when they get replaced with a shitty chain pub; bar staff in uniforms, plastic menus, 'redecorated' and the landlord kicked out to make way for a 'manager' they lose all their charm... *Rant over*
  • Options
    Although, to be fair, one of the reasons that Berlin has an edge is because it has been completely re-generated...
  • Options
    Although, to be fair, one of the reasons that Berlin has an edge is because it has been completely re-generated...

Maybe to some extent...I'm not sure I agree. I don't find anything that special about Potsdamer Platz which has been completely regenerated (it was for a while the biggest building site in Europe). Okay, the Sony Centre looks cool but it's all pretty commercial. For me Prenzlauer Berg and Kreuzberg are pretty amazing districts, Kreuzberg especially might seem a bit rundown but there's a buzz and whilst unification has madef Prenzlauer Berg much richer it certainly hasn't been completely regenerated.

I don't think regeneration of places is always a bad thing btw. It's just how it's done I guess.
  • Options
    The link to the official petition:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/camdenmarket/