Young Carers of The Mix, we need you! Tell us about your experiences of our services and give yourself a chance to win £50 of Amazon vouchers.
Want to tell us about your experiences using The Mix and be in with a chance of winning a £200 Amazon Voucher? Click here to go to our survey!

Where are you going?

13

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MancDan wrote: »
    I do recall the other thread, which I'd completely forgotten about btw, that University isn't important. Now its ...good on you though. Get it done!
    It's a fair cop. My attitude has started to soften. I've come to realise that there's no point fighting this. Even I get bored of my own cynicism sometimes. I'm going to try and embrace university. I'm no less nervous than before, but I have to give this a damn good shot.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    *Plays Eastenders Theme Tune*
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think you got off track a bit there people. O_o
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it was the same in the town where i went to college, there were two main colleges and people would say there was rivalry between them. its just a bit of fun really. you get it everywhere.

    Holy cross is shit though :p

    Manchester main uni students are often very pretentious in my experience. Which is why I avoid them like the plague :thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Doofay wrote: »
    Holy cross is shit though :p

    Manchester main uni students are often very pretentious in my experience. Which is why I avoid them like the plague :thumb:

    Now now, they are not all like this. Granted, most people on my course go skiing with Mummy and Daddy every Easter but they're lovely people really. The funniest are the Management crew. They think they are the best and go around saying "we are the most popular". :lol: It makes me laugh because nobody cares, it's not like school anymore. Most of the people are nice though, and you shouldn't avoid somebody just because of the Uni they go to. If I said I avoided Salford goers because I thought they were below me I bet there would be an uproar on here.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    nicolalou wrote: »
    If I said I avoided Salford goers because I thought they were below me I bet there would be an uproar on here.

    :thumb:

    YA WHAT!?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MancDan wrote: »
    :thumb:

    YA WHAT!?

    *searches for a look down my nose smiley*...:impissed: ?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MancDan wrote: »
    :thumb:

    YA WHAT!?

    haha, too right :D

    Although im not exactly sure if i'll make it now...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    nicolalou wrote: »
    Now now, they are not all like this. Granted, most people on my course go skiing with Mummy and Daddy every Easter

    :lol:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    haha, too right :D

    Although im not exactly sure if i'll make it now...

    why?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I really want to go to Manchester Uni although I dont know which one ?

    But I doubt I'll get in with a BTech and I don't even know if they do the courses I want I've just always wanted to go to Manchester !
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    haha, too right :D

    Although im not exactly sure if i'll make it now...

    why?

    You'd get in Salford uni offering pancakes you know!?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I really want to go to Manchester Uni although I dont know which one ?

    But I doubt I'll get in with a BTech and I don't even know if they do the courses I want I've just always wanted to go to Manchester !

    Yeah!! Come to Manchester! :)

    You should ring them up and check, or look at their websites or something!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MancDan wrote: »
    why?

    You'd get in Salford uni offering pancakes you know!?

    haha *makes note to make some pancakes*

    i have the right qualifications to get into uni but you need a C in maths GCSE to do nursing. so i paid to retake it last year and I got my results on thursday and only got a D. friggin gutted i am, I just totally give up because i tried really hard, i think im just destined not to pass.

    that said its being sent away to be remarked cos apparently it was only a few marks off a C. so we'll see.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Make sure you get in touch with them and ask. If GCSE's meant anything I wouldn't of even gotten into college. I got a's and b's c's in everything, but in maths iIn which I got an E :lol: I needed to get a C to get onto the course I wanted to, still, I got on it regardless! I didn't retake it in college either (I hated maths that much at the time I dint go to retake lessons) alas I'm in University doing a course that involves a little Mathematics here an there. If you have a chat with your future mentor, I'm sure you could hustle a deal, especially considering you were just a 'few' marks off the C. Keep at it and show them you want to get on the course and they'll probably give you a shot, you never know :)

    Do you plan to move into halls btw? If so which ones?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    haha *makes note to make some pancakes*

    i have the right qualifications to get into uni but you need a C in maths GCSE to do nursing. so i paid to retake it last year and I got my results on thursday and only got a D. friggin gutted i am, I just totally give up because i tried really hard, i think im just destined not to pass.

    that said its being sent away to be remarked cos apparently it was only a few marks off a C. so we'll see.

    Ahh don't worry about that!
    Seriously, Uni's let people in without the right qualifications ALL the time, and when it's something as trivial as that, espescially only a few marks off - then I doubt they will mind.
    Just give them a ring, I'm sure you'll get in fine! :)

    Maths is a fucking shit subject for losers anyway...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maths is a fucking shit subject for losers anyway...

    did someone get an 'E' like me? :lol:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    haha *makes note to make some pancakes*

    i have the right qualifications to get into uni but you need a C in maths GCSE to do nursing. so i paid to retake it last year and I got my results on thursday and only got a D. friggin gutted i am, I just totally give up because i tried really hard, i think im just destined not to pass.

    that said its being sent away to be remarked cos apparently it was only a few marks off a C. so we'll see.

    I would speak to the uni you want to go to and make this known to them. Any sensible university isnt going to let a GCSE maths grade get in the way of you furthering your education.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    haha *makes note to make some pancakes*

    i have the right qualifications to get into uni but you need a C in maths GCSE to do nursing. so i paid to retake it last year and I got my results on thursday and only got a D. friggin gutted i am, I just totally give up because i tried really hard, i think im just destined not to pass.

    that said its being sent away to be remarked cos apparently it was only a few marks off a C. so we'll see.


    i so sympathise with you. i did my maths gcse 4 times (not my strong point at all!!) and got 2 e's and then 2 d's. guess you could say i gave up after that! having said that, it was a few years ago now so i'd probably be willing to give it another shot if need be.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Calvin wrote: »
    I would speak to the uni you want to go to and make this known to them. Any sensible university isnt going to let a GCSE maths grade get in the way of you furthering your education.

    well they clearly do. if it's a requirement of the course then chances are.. it's required.
    they did with me!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well they clearly do. if it's a requirement of the course then chances are.. it's required.
    they did with me!

    I'm sure it depends on what subject you wanna study, eg/ if you wanted to do business or economics or management they probably would want it more than if you were going to study languages or english literature
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm going to be a student at the University of Bedfordshire (based at Barnfield college in Luton) and shall be studying for a foundation degree in Specialist Makeup Design. (Then hopefully staying on for the 3rd year to top up to a BA Hons).

    I'm studying this course because I've just completed a year's diploma in the same subject, and am wonderfully passionate about it (and not half bad at it either!)
    (I always promised myself that I wouldn't waste time study something I wasn't passionate about.)
  • littlemissylittlemissy knit chick Posts: 9,972
    nicolalou wrote: »
    I'm sure it depends on what subject you wanna study, eg/ if you wanted to do business or economics or management they probably would want it more than if you were going to study languages or english literature

    Not really. If, in the prospectus it states that they need GCSE Maths C grade, then they will check if you have that. If you don't, they will put your application in the bin.

    Requirements are there for a reason. If you haven't got the GCSE then they are looking for an equivalent.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well they clearly do. if it's a requirement of the course then chances are.. it's required.
    they did with me!

    :yes: I've been told the same thing by various unis because I don't have a C in GCSE English.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not really. If, in the prospectus it states that they need GCSE Maths C grade, then they will check if you have that. If you don't, they will put your application in the bin.

    It depends on the course subject. Your not going to need maths too badly doing an art course for example. Theres a certain amount of leeway!

    Lets not not slash the girls hopes, I reckon she's got a good chance here! Better chance than I did anyway, I mean its just a few marks off a 'C', you'd have to be one un-compromising git to not give her the shot!

    They need more nurses anyway! :thumb:
  • littlemissylittlemissy knit chick Posts: 9,972
    MancDan wrote: »
    It depends on the course subject. Your not going to need maths too badly doing an art course for example. Theres a certain amount of leeway!

    Then they won't be asking for maths GCSE as a requirement.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    still, she should give it a shot!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not really. If, in the prospectus it states that they need GCSE Maths C grade, then they will check if you have that. If you don't, they will put your application in the bin.

    Requirements are there for a reason. If you haven't got the GCSE then they are looking for an equivalent.
    :no:
    That's not true at all. My friend wanted to do nursing but she didn't have a C grade in Maths. York uni let her in anyway but Salford were much more strict, so it depends on the Uni and probably how full the course is.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MancDan wrote: »
    still, she should give it a shot!

    haha I am going to. Im pretty sure they're going to say no because when I went for a careers appointment (at salford) and asked about nursing, the guy said i'd definitely recommend you retake your maths GCSE straight away because apparently its a requirement of the medical board. Not just salford uni.

    But I'm going to ring up and ask if i could maybe start the course in september, then retake my GCSE in november when they do the resits. thats if i can even afford to retake it again, booo.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i so sympathise with you. i did my maths gcse 4 times (not my strong point at all!!) and got 2 e's and then 2 d's. guess you could say i gave up after that! having said that, it was a few years ago now so i'd probably be willing to give it another shot if need be.

    oof I'm SO glad its not just me! you and box have reassured me! me and you are exactly the same! I got an E at school, another E when I retook it in college, a D when i retook it at college AGAIN, and another D the other day. Its ridiculous :( I mean in my other gcses i got A's and B's. Its just maths I really cannot get my head round it.

    It really disheartens me too because I really really tried this time, I revised loads! :/
Sign In or Register to comment.