Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Pay Review advice need

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When i joined the company i now work for i was told i had to prove myself, as i created a role for myself. Having done that rather successfully i have now had my pay review and its a lot less than i wanted. For a start it's well below the national average for what im doing but more importantly, im being paid the same wage as someone i work with even though i do half their work and have a lot of skills they do not such as 3D modelling and programming which i use on a daily basis in my job, meaning when they are off ill or are too slow doing their work i have to help out, yet they can't do any of my work at all.

It was explained that part of the reason is to not upset this person because they have been there a longer time than me and not because of my actual job role or skill.

So i want to right a letter to the MD to explain why i feel i deserve more, which i think is only fair. I'm not asking for a silly amount, in fact it's probably still less than what im worth, but what they offered me is taking the mick a bit. So what do i write and how do i write it in the best way possible? I have lots of facts and figures to back up my claims too.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have a look around recruitment sites and other job ads, and see if you can find similar jobs to yours in other companies. Look at what they are being paid and see how yours differs.

Without going beyond the point of no return you need to get it across that you are not happy with the review, you feel it didn't reflect your performance and the role you are currently undertaking, and having looked elsewhere you know that you could get x much more doing the same job for a different company, so at the moment you've got no reason to stay with this company.

I'd also mention that you are not happy with 'keeping someone else happy' being given as a reason for your pay level. Salaries of employee should be confidential, so there's no need for their feelings to be taken in account.

Get someone to proof read it for you, you're aiming to impress. Usually wouldn't comment, but you've used 'right' instead of 'write' which wouldn't look good.
    Don't worry, spelling mistakes on this forum are just because of speed and not using a spell checker.

As for the letter, should i keep it short and sweet on why im not happy with the outcome of my review and ask to have a meeting or should i go into detail in the letter?

Thanks for your reply.
    Keep it relatively short and sweet, ideally the whole thing under one side of A4. That way the person reading it will probably bother to read the whole thing and take it all in. You probably want a meeting with them regardless, so keep the letter to the brief and to the point, in a way summarising your points.