Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Born out of wedlock

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It doesn't bother me. I had my son out of wedlock. However i was not born out of wedlock. My mam and dad got married in the june and i was born in the oct she was only 18 the month before (i think was way too young but thats just me!)
  • Options
    I was born in '83 and my folks didn't marry till '92 but I can quite happily say that it's never affected my life in any way at all.

Have to say though, for me I like the idea of getting married, getting a house and then having kids. I'm quite old fashioned like that, ah well.
  • Options
    Doesn't bother me really, only thing is I do think it would be nice for us all to have the same surname.. We are going to try and get married before we have our next one really.. my girlfriends a bit funny about it, but I think that's because her parents can be quite traditional
  • Options
    It really doesn't bother me at all, so long as the child is loved who really gives a stuff?

The only thing I'd say is that marriage gives the family much stronger legal protection, and that's something that people should consider. A marriage is only signing a bit of paper saying you want to be recognised legally as a couple. I don't understand why people don't get married for anti-religious reasons given that civil marriages specifically bar any religious sentiment being conveyed during the ceremony (you're not allowed to read religious text, for instance).
  • Options
    Well neither my fiance or I are religious so we are going to have a civil service in a manor or a castle or something lol..