Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Compact Disc Is 25 Years Old

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Exactly 25 years ago the word's first compact disc was produced at a Philips factory in Germany, sparking a global music revolution.
More than 200 billion CDs have been sold worldwide since then and it remains the dominant format despite the growth in digital downloads.

The CD was jointly developed by Philips and Sony and the disc has also become a key storage method for computer users.

The first CD produced was The Visitors by Abba.

Piet Kramer, who was a member of the optical group at Philips during the disc's development, said: "When Philips teamed up with Sony to develop the CD, our first target was to win over the world for the CD.

"We did this by collaborating openly to agree on a new standard. For Philips, this open innovation was a new approach and it paid off."

Dire Straits' album Brothers in Arms helped popularise the CD

He said the companies had never imagined that the computing and entertainment industries would also opt for the CD as a storage system for content.

The two companies began work on the format in 1979 and targetted a disc which could hold an hour of audio. The capacity was extended to 74 minutes, however, to accommodate a complete performance of Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

The first CDs went on sale in November 1982 and were mainly classical recordings.

Classical music lovers were believed to be more affluent than pop and rock music fans, and Philips thought they would be more inclined to pay the price for the more expensive CDs and the very expensive CD-players,

The first models cost 2,000 Dutch guilders, about £1,000 at today's rate, taking into account inflation.

"When Chilean pianist Claudio Arrau recorded one of the first CDs for Polygram we discovered that he was grunting and panting while playing. Before on vinyl you didn't hear that but on CD it was crystal clear," said Frank van den Berg, a former member of the Polygram CD development task force.

In the last 10 years CD sales have been dropping worldwide while digital download sales are rising rapidly.

According to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), digital sales will account for a quarter of all worldwide music sales by 2010.

CD sales in the UK have dropped 10% in the first half of this year, while download purachses have increased by 50%.

Source - BBC Website
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :birthday:
  • Options

Happy Birthday CD. Just a shame I doubt you will be around to celebrate your 40th
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

Happy Birthday CD. Just a shame I doubt you will be around to celebrate your 40th

:lol:
  • Options
    I remember when they came out :(
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Just a shame I doubt you will be around to celebrate your 40th
    Rubbish. I bet that they said the same thing about vinyl when CDs were becoming more popular. And yet vinyl is still with us, and going through something of a revival at the moment.
  • Options
    CD's are still infintely better than downloads. Better quality, none of that copyright protection crap, and an impressive collection to show off to all your friends. :birthday:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Rubbish. I bet that they said the same thing about vinyl when CDs were becoming more popular. And yet vinyl is still with us, and going through something of a revival at the moment.

Yeah but you're going from digital to digital with replacing cds. There is less of a nostalgia thing going on for cds than vinyl, and vinyl sounds different to cds. a cd and an mp3 both sound exactly the same.
  • Options
    Wow I didn't know it's already 25 years... :chin:
  • Options
    Yeah but you're going from digital to digital with replacing cds. There is less of a nostalgia thing going on for cds than vinyl, and vinyl sounds different to cds. a cd and an mp3 both sound exactly the same.

yeah theres a big nostalgia thing for vinyls (and not forgetting cassette tapes).

just to correct you, cds and mp3s do sound different. cds that we buy in hmv will have a lot more layers of sound than an mp3, even a 320kbps one. though obviously, if you burn an audio disc of you favourite tunes, and those tunes are 128kbps mp3s on your computer, then that cd will have the same quality.

but yes, the sound from a vinyl has slightly different characteristics to a cd, (although they can be similar in quality).

personally i like to have something physical to hold when i play music. i hate looking at any screen too much, and i burn most downloaded music to audio cds.
  • Options
    Most people don't have decent enough equipment or ears to really be able to tell the difference between a decent mp3 and a cd :p
  • Options
    CD's are still infintely better than downloads. Better quality, none of that copyright protection crap, and an impressive collection to show off to all your friends. :birthday:

Some CDs have DRM (copyright protection crap) on them...especially those from major labels. I know that all the recent EMI CDs sold here in Australia are DRMed, and i think Sony/BMG CDs are too. Thankfully though i still haven't come accross a single CD that iTunes hasn't been able to rip yet. :yippe:
  • Options
    Cool, I am 1 day younger than the CD :thumb:
  • Options

Strange saying happy birthday to an inanimate object.

200 billion eh? Picture all those stacked on one another. Woah, could probably reach the sun. :chin: :naughty: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Either that or the sheer weight of them would drill a hole straight through the planet. ;)