Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

the uni thing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I keep having strange dreams of moving into university. I find out if my accomodation application choice was successful on the 20th. I know there is a thread already on here for university goers but is there any more updated experiences? For example, the Freshers Ball..is that just for the frat type people or is it the best way to meet people? Ohhh and any more advice :hyper:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I never went to my Freshers Ball, tickets got sold out but it is a great way to meet people. In fact, Freshers Week in general, it's just a week long party basically and that's where you form your initial friendships, especially with your room mates in halls.
    My Fresher's ball was a huge disappointment. Luckily, I had seen Puppetry of the Penis earlier in the evening, so it softened the blow a bit :D plus (this was at UCL btw, so other places will vary) you couldn't hear yourself think, so it was difficult to meet new people.

I found initially, especially in places like halls, everyone is out and about on the grounds. I made a friend by standing by the front entrance waiting for the fire alarm to stop

One tip would be to take a big box of chocolates with you (something like Celebrations) and walk around with it, stopping on the way - a friend of mine found it worked a treat while they were unpacking, "Hi, how are you doing? do you want a chocolate?" lol, writing it down, it sounds really lame, but it worked!
    Lol that's a good idea, tempt them with Cadbury's Roses. Still not sure about Freshers Ball.... Meh. I still feel unoraganised. So far I have new bed sheets, some deco for my room and a vintage blanket. Going to buy a laptop soon.. As a lit student I have so many books I want to take but the rooms are pretty small :(
    The Freshers Ball was good, I didn't really meet anybody there but was another cool night out with the guys I met in my Halls.

Get involved in everything going on on campus, you can get so much free stuff and meet loadsa people.

In halls smile and talk to anyone you come across, don't be shy! Take lots of alcohol with you and some cheap pasta or something like that that is quick and a filling food.

Good luck for the accomodation, hope you get your first choice:)
    Because of when my course started we didn't have a freshers ball, but we did have somehting called carnage which happened a few times a year. It was a massive pub crawl where you could meet people in you halls. Also everyone else is in the same boat and wanting to make friends so I wouldn't worry!
    The chocolate idea does sound fun! I remember one of my flatmates in halls brought a big box of biscuits and some wine for us all so that broke the ice.
    thankyou :) i plan to be chirpy. I've read through the other thread and am gonna leave my door open even if i am unpacking so people can say hey.
    Rachael wrote: »
    thankyou :) i plan to be chirpy. I've read through the other thread and am gonna leave my door open even if i am unpacking so people can say hey.

Yeah that's a great idea. I'm actually moving back into halls this Sept so I'm going to be doing the same thing. I have an advantage in knwoing what to expect but still dead nerve wracking meeting loadsa new people!!
    yeah im freaking out a bit..did you get your jabs done ? they were on about that in the 'before you arrive' booklet
    yeah im freaking out a bit..did you get your jabs done ? they were on about that in the 'before you arrive' booklet

Haha, what jabs? God no I haven't had any jabs done, nor did I last time I was in halls....
    nicolalou wrote: »
    Haha, what jabs? God no I haven't had any jabs done, nor did I last time I was in halls....

MMR and another one that I cant remember...
    MMR and another one that I cant remember...

Hmm yeah I'd get the MMR done if I was you. I'd actually had three when I went to Uni and was therefore 99.9% immune from Mumps and I got it over the Christmas holidays and couldn't leave the house for four weeks.
    At least I'm immune now!
    yeahh i will pop to my drs eek
    yeahh i will pop to my drs eek

Please do because it'll save me a few quid. ;)

The UKC Medical Practice are very, very good because they are geared up for students (as you are their main client base), so you will be able to get jabs etc from them too if necessary.
    Yeah they have an online website that I tried to sign upto but think I will just go to my GP. Jabs aren't a big thing for me but it's just keeping track of what I've had and what I haven't.
    I found I made my friends from my halls, by going on the club crawls organised by the halls i was at during freshers week, and a fair few friends at various societies I signed up to (including my boyfriend!).
    I also remember writing a big list of what I should take to uni, but in the end its just best to take the basics - clothes, bed stuff, a few kitchen bits, bathroom stuff(defo bog roll) and anything you forget you slowly build up anyways. By my last year at uni I had accumulated so much stuff!
    Had a good time at the freshers ball, but only coz i had made a few friends from my halls. Tis a good way to at least get comfy with the start of uni life i guess.
    *sigh* Im going to miss uni life...
    Yeah they have an online website that I tried to sign upto but think I will just go to my GP. Jabs aren't a big thing for me but it's just keeping track of what I've had and what I haven't.

Worth getting checked for all boosters etc even if you decide not to have them there and then. Useful information - plus check out family medical history because your new GP will ask...
    Worth getting checked for all boosters etc even if you decide not to have them there and then. Useful information - plus check out family medical history because your new GP will ask...

Do you think I'd have to have a new GP? Canterbury is like half an hour by train.
    Do you think I'd have to have a new GP? Canterbury is like half an hour by train.

The halls normally prefer it, but not completely necessary. I didn't do it in my first year.

Dunno, when you feel like shit one day, will you want to travel 30 minutes by train?
    Dunno, when you feel like shit one day, will you want to travel 30 minutes by train?

Haha point taken! I'll register with the on site GP I reckon.
    Here's one thing that, from experience, I strongly disencourage. I'd taken a tip and brought down a large bottle of vodka when I started down in Bristol last year. I was hoping to share that with my flatmates. Except one problem - I arrived two days before any of them. I ended up getting pissed by myself on my second night. It was a strong vodka too. Not a good move.
    go_away wrote: »
    ...I had seen Puppetry of the Penis earlier in the evening...
    Erm... what is that?
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Here's one thing that, from experience, I strongly disencourage. I'd taken a tip and brought down a large bottle of vodka when I started down in Bristol last year. I was hoping to share that with my flatmates. Except one problem - I arrived two days before any of them. I ended up getting pissed by myself on my second night. It was a strong vodka too. Not a good move.

There are places called shops :p
    GoodFella wrote: »
    There are places called shops :p
    I'd been in the city for less than 48 hours. I had barely worked out how to get to the university, (I wasn't on campus, or anywhere near it, for that matter) never mind where the nearest bloody off-licence was! :p
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I'd been in the city for less than 48 hours. I had barely worked out how to get to the university, (I wasn't on campus, or anywhere near it, for that matter) never mind where the nearest bloody off-licence was! :p

Haha, that's the first thing I looked for, for alcohol and cigarettes! But then my plan backfired because I spent the second day drinking nothing but stella and by the time I went out I fainted twice through dehydration. I was so scared I was gonna be known as the girl that fainted!:lol:
    Haha, that's the first thing I looked for, for alcohol and cigarettes! But then my plan backfired because I spent the second day drinking nothing but stella and by the time I went out I fainted twice through dehydration. I was so scared I was gonna be known as the girl that fainted!:lol:

Lightweight! :p

I was lucky, had an off license just across the road :D
    Lightweight! :p

Lightweight?? I bet I could drink you under the table anyday! Yeah same here, he was called Mr G (or we named him that I think) and he sold "20 anadin extra£ for 3 quid :)
    Lightweight?? I bet I could drink you under the table anyday! Yeah same here, he was called Mr G (or we named him that I think) and he sold "20 anadin extra£ for 3 quid :)

Well ours was known for being a drop off point for the local coke dealers, classy stuff.

And get stuffed fainty! :D
    Just across the road? Knowing you, what you meant to say was "the off-licence was across the road, but given how much time I spent there, I might as well have been living there instead.". :p
    Well ours was known for being a drop off point for the local coke dealers, classy stuff.

And get stuffed fainty! :D

Well halls are known for being in classy places. Mine was a stone's throw from the red light district.

Stargalaxy I hope you'renot living in Mill Point next Sept :)
    Stargalaxy, I hope you're not living in Mill Point next Sept
    Nope. Why's that?