Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Task: Acheive a U Grade, Prize: Free Flight. Acheive an A and heres a pat on the back

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ryanair have just publicly humiliated themselves by offer 'compensation' to students who were too lazy/think to acheive an 'E' grade at A-level.

In the future, students may be inclined to take 'extra a-levels' and fail them on purpose, with the consilation of knowing they'll receive a 'free flight' for their troubles of sitting the exam.
Furthermore, it will act as an incentive for those with no prospects and/or common sense to not revise at all!
Having recieved AAA in my a-levels and studying at a top 5 university, I feel this is outrageous. Once more it is a case of the bone-idle being rewarded, and the academically privileged left to go without.

Thanks for encouraging and rewarding failure!

PS. Well done to those who failed, youve 'won a free flight'

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Is there a news story about this?
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Is there a news story about this?
    It was in our paper today (so it must be true..)

we're already discussing it in the other threas :)
  • Options
    In the future, students may be inclined to take 'extra a-levels' and fail them on purpose, with the consilation of knowing they'll receive a 'free flight' for their troubles of sitting the exam.

I can't remember which comedian said it, but I'll believe it when you show me three.
    Having recieved AAA in my a-levels and studying at a top 5 university,
    and the academically privileged left to go without.

Given your grades, university etc, do you really think in the long term you'll go without?

I agree the idea is pretty stupid, but is the issue here that people are pissed that they're not being given 'rewards' for doing well?

I can't actually see any news source anywhere that's backing up the story? :confused:
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    I can't remember which comedian said it, but I'll believe it when you show me three.

Given your grades, university etc, do you really think in the long term you'll go without?

I agree the idea is pretty stupid, but is the issue here that people are pissed that they're not being given 'rewards' for doing well?

I can't actually see any news source anywhere that's backing up the story? :confused:

I recently saw it on the front page of the Birmingham Post [16 August Issue]

In the long term, I cannot see myself 'going without' no. However, the underlying issue here is that success and acheivement is never rewarded within schools. The notion of mixed ability classes for example - Yes, the challanged pupils can glean knowledge off others, but at the expense of the academically able students!
    My ideology, is that its better to have a society where half are educated [become valuable assets to the economy] and half are ill-educated [ie. stack the shelves we buy food from etc]
    This scenario is much more appealing than a society of sub-standard individuals, how could 'said' country prosper then?
  • Options
    dxv549 wrote: »
    In the long term, I cannot see myself 'going without' no. However, the underlying issue here is that success and acheivement is never rewarded within schools.

It is, a chance to further your education. E.g. get to do A-levels or get into Uni. If your fail your GCSE's or A-Levels you'll not be accepted to the next tier of education. It's only a plane ticket, failing A-levels is a traumatic experience for most students, why not make them feel slightly better?
    My ideology, is that its better to have a society where half are educated [become valuable assets to the economy] and half are ill-educated [ie. stack the shelves we buy food from etc]
    This scenario is much more appealing than a society of sub-standard individuals, how could 'said' country prosper then?

Twat.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    It is, a chance to further your education. E.g. get to do A-levels or get into Uni. If your fail your GCSE's or A-Levels you'll not be accepted to the next tier of education. It's only a plane ticket, failing A-levels is a traumatic experience for most students, why not make them feel slightly better?

Twat.

So you would rather the latter option then of the economy in general consists of standard individuals?
  • Options
    So you would rather the latter option then of the economy in general consists of standard individuals?

:confused:
  • Options
    In the long term, I cannot see myself 'going without' no. However, the underlying issue here is that success and acheivement is never rewarded within schools.

Why should it be? Isn't the reward going to be better prospects/ Isn;t the intention of schemes like this to help motivate those with limited hope to strive for something better?

For someone so, apparently, well educated you have a very narrow mind.

What are your A-Levels in then? Something useful? Certainly I am wondering what the point of A-levels are, given the standards of education which you are displaying in this thread.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    katchika wrote: »
    It was in our paper today (so it must be true..)

we're already discussing it in the other threas :)

Yeah I saw in student forum - is it just in Birmingham I wonder?
  • Options
    makes me think ofthe rat farm idea in discworld

city was overrun with rats so they offered money for every dead rat turned in, given time rats were bieng farmed
  • Options
    it's just jomery
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    it's just jomery

And you don't need A levels to figure that out :D
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Yeah I saw in student forum - is it just in Birmingham I wonder?

Yeah, Brum only. Silly considering Ryanair hardly fly anywhere from Birmingham Airport.
  • Options
    Why should it be? Isn't the reward going to be better prospects/ Isn;t the intention of schemes like this to help motivate those with limited hope to strive for something better?

For someone so, apparently, well educated you have a very narrow mind.

What are your A-Levels in then? Something useful? Certainly I am wondering what the point of A-levels are, given the standards of education which you are displaying in this thread.

Yes, my A-levels are in 'traditional subjects', namely Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics

I am studying a degree in Economics, and have a position on a graduate programme, beginning 2008, for a major investment bank.

The poor should help themselves, like the used to be poor have done
  • Options
    you know what rhymes with banker
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    And you don't need A levels to figure that out :D

BCDD (although i think one of the D's may be miscalculated and the other one seems odd too so i need to ask) :p
  • Options
    I am studying a degree in Economics, and have a position on a graduate programme, beginning 2008, for a major investment bank.

Excellnt. Something of value to the nation then, you'll really contribute (in a real sense) then won't you.

Investments banks are parasites on us all.
  • Options
    I recently saw it on the front page of the Birmingham Post [16 August Issue]

In the long term, I cannot see myself 'going without' no. However, the underlying issue here is that success and acheivement is never rewarded within schools. The notion of mixed ability classes for example - Yes, the challanged pupils can glean knowledge off others, but at the expense of the academically able students!

Can-of-worms.jpg
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    you know what rhymes with banker
    :D
  • Options
    Excellnt. Something of value to the nation then, you'll really contribute (in a real sense) then won't you.

Investments banks are parasites on us all.

So are people who cannot spell

Your the people who clean our shoes, garcon
  • Options

Always funny when someone picks up on a typo, claims it's a spelling mistake, and then fucks up themselves.
  • Options
    Always funny when someone picks up on a typo, claims it's a spelling mistake, and then fucks up themselves.

:D
  • Options

Similarly as humorous as basic grammatical errors.

', and then fucks up themselves'
  • Options

You're the people.. I don't usually correct grammar but I just had to make an exception.
  • Options
    Similarly as humorous as basic grammatical errors.

', and then fucks up themselves'

How's that a grammatical error?
  • Options
    You need to quit, because you've done it again.

Good job you didn't go for English at A-Level really. Flights on Ryanair don't sounds like your cup of tea.

Anywhoo, want to argue your point, or just trade insults?
  • Options
    You need to quit, because you've done it again.

Good job you didn't go for English at A-Level really. Flights on Ryanair don't sounds like your cup of tea.

Anywhoo, want to argue your point, or just trade insults?

Rather funny how every post from the one referring to grammatical errors has been flawless.
    English A Level... I would have taken it if I knew I'd have spent 3 days sunning myself in Milan [or similar] for free!
  • Options
    Furthermore, it will act as an incentive for those with no prospects and/or common sense to not revise at all!

Do you actualy believe that? Considering Ryan Air flights are dirt cheap and don't really go anywhere nice, the students who have failed are not exactly gaining much and will probably have to fly somewhere crappy in the winter.

Anyway, passing my A levels, getting into my 1st choice uni and then celebrating like mad was enough reward for me!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    Do you actualy believe that? Considering Ryan Air flights are dirt cheap and don't really go anywhere nice, the students who have failed are not exactly gaining much and will probably have to fly somewhere crappy in the winter.

Anyway, passing my A levels, getting into my 1st choice uni and then celebrating like mad was enough reward for me!

Anyone thick enough to get a 'U' at A-Level probably would
  • Options
    Anyone thick enough to get a 'U' at A-Level probably would

Well you sound like a twat. Maybe re-think your points when you've grown up a bit.
This discussion has been closed.