Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the true gravy train

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,479326,00.html

i always thought i heard wrong, basically every month the EU parliament is moved between france and belgium.... all the paperwork, staff everything part from the buildings

what a waste of time :lol:

Comments

• Options
    er, wtf?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    er, wtf?

at my post or at what happens
  • Options
    Ha! It's typical French...demanding EU activity on their soil...:lol:
  • Options
    Even though I'm much in favour of the EU the monthly move of the parliament is one of the stupidest things ever and free ammunition for the euroskeptics.
  • Options
    Even ultra supporter Clandestine couldn't argue a case for this, if I remember correctly.

Still, nice to know that my taxes are being put to good use :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I don't think anyone can justify it, because it is completely unjustifiable.

But it has more to do with the failings of national governments than it does the failings of the EU. They do it because the French will take their bat and ball home if they don't, and the EU is structured in such a way that it is hamstrung by national self-interest.
  • Options
    at my post or at what happens

sorry, i meant at what happens - tis ludicrous
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I don't think anyone can justify it, because it is completely unjustifiable.

But it has more to do with the failings of national governments than it does the failings of the EU. They do it because the French will take their bat and ball home if they don't, and the EU is structured in such a way that it is hamstrung by national self-interest.

Isn't saying that the EU is humstrung by national self-interest a bit like saying the railways would work fine if if it wasn't for the fact people keep putting trains on it?
  • Options
    Isn't saying that the EU is humstrung by national self-interest a bit like saying the railways would work fine if if it wasn't for the fact people keep putting trains on it?

It's more like saying that the railways would work fine if the DfT didn't keep putting their foot in it.

The EU doesn't work because it's been cleverly designed not to.
  • Options

no, more like that ultra efficient hospital in yes minister, pity it had near 0 patients
  • Options
    no, more like that ultra efficient hospital in yes minister, pity it had near 0 patients
    I'm just amazed Labour hasn't yet adoped that as official policy. How to solve all the the problems of the NHS? Ban patients. Doctors can then get on with the job of filling in forms and worrying about being sued. How to solve problems in schools? Ban pupils from attending them. Teachers can then get on with the job of... well, filling in forms and worrying about being sued. Yes Minister is a programme that was well ahead of its time.