Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Swollen foot around wound

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
Last Wednesday, I had a mosquito bite on my foot, just below the ankle, and I kept scratching it at the corner of my bed's mattress (above the sheets). I know I shouldn't have, but it was almost subconscious.
Then I noticed there was a wound, probably from scratching too much. Since then I've been cleaning it daily and putting a bandaid over it, but today (Sunday) morning it still seemed open so i thought that maybe I should let it be without a bandaid so it would probably heal faster.
I also wore a shoe today though (with a bandaid at the time) and it hurt but I got on with it. Now I've noticed that the foot is swollen around the wound.
It's probably an infection, and I'll go to a doctor tomorrow to check it out, but how serious could it all be?

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    They might have to cut your leg off!! Just kiddding, the doc should be able to give you something to help clear it up.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah, probably some antibiotics or something. I guessed that myself, not sure why I made this thread. I guess I'm a bit squeamish about anything that has to do with broken skin. :p
    But I didn't expect it to be that bad, it's not a huge hole either. And to think it began with a mosquito...
    They did cut my leg off :( How did you know? Did YOU tell them to do it, you bastard? :mad: :p
    Just got some pills. The problem is that I need something from a government agency, and the only way to get it is to go there myself... But I think I shouldn't walk too far in shoes. Perhaps I'll go in sandals.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Haha, hilarious :D

Glad you kinda got it sorted.
    The doctor gave me meds that last about 4 days. I'm on day 3 and when I woke up my foot was almost flat, but now (about 4 hours later) it looks swollen again. Is it normal behaviour? Shouldn't it have gone down by now?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe you need to keep it elevated?
    Dinted wrote: »
    Maybe you need to keep it elevated?
    I've heard that, but can the medicine really not work because of that? And it's nearly impossible to do that without lying down, because my leg gets very uncomfortable.
    the medicine keeps working for a day or so after you've finished taking it so i wouldnt worry just yet, take the rest of the course and then if in a few days its still not better, go back to the doctors :)
    Mini-rant:
    The other foot is a bit swollen too, so apparently it's not a (simple) infection. Now the doctor wants me to have a blood test. And I hate needles! :mad: :nervous:
    Gout?

Have fun.
    Gout?

Have fun.
    Gah, you shouldn't have said that. I read about it and it sounds horrible :(
    At least so far it doesn't sound like it. It's not particularly near a joint and there's no pain whatsoever, not even when the docror was pressing it or moving my feet to different positions.
    Are you in the UK or US?

what sort of bite was it? do you have any kind of rash around the bite?
    Neither. I'm in Greece.
    I didn't see anything bite me, but I had lots of mosquito bites so I think it was another one. There's a bit of red around the wound, yes. But I'm not convinced the bite itself has to do with the current problem, the swelling didn't start at least until 4-5 days after the bite., and the redness only after I put a plaster on the wound.
    What confuses me most is that the exact same spot on the other foot has also began to swell. If it was just an infection it wouldn't travel through half of my body to find a similar spot and do nothing anywhere else, right?
    calm down lad, the worst thing you can do is ask random people on an internet forum for a diagnosis or worse browse the web to self-diagnose your illness and scare the crap out of yourself, go see the doc and let him do his job....
    calm down lad, the worst thing you can do is ask random people on an internet forum for a diagnosis or worse browse the web to self-diagnose your illness and scare the crap out of yourself, go see the doc and let him do his job....
    That's what I'm doing really. :)
    I only looked up that one thing because she mentioned it, and it really doesn't sound like it. And I'm just answering questions.
    I just want that thing gone ASAP. It doesn't hurt, but I hate seeing it there and it's pretty annoying.
    Well the swelling is going to be your bodies reaction to whatever is going on in your ankles - where its fighting infection or trying to repair any damage.

Keeping your feet elevated, even if its just on a footstool may help reduce the swelling as it will stop fluid collecting in the area.

Wait and see what the doc says about the blood test - i wont scare you with ideas of what it could be, i managed to freak out a girl i work with after she got some weird bites a month back :o
    Sorry, shouldn't have said that. It's one thing to consider on swollen feet.

Sure it'll be fine, and you know blood tests are actually fine and they are only ickle needles, look the other way and buy your self a bar of choocie for afters.
    Don't lie :p I've had a blood test before, and I know exactly how much of it I felt. Perhaps I have a hypersensitive sense of touch, but I could even feel the blood sucked out.
    I can take it though, I guess. But I'll warn the doctor/nurse just to be sure.
    :rolleyes:

Let's just hope you never need any hospital treatment if you have that much complaint about blood tests.

ETA I suppose everything is relative, but from the time I spent in hospitals last year, the least of my worries or causes of pain were the blood tests.
    :rolleyes:

Let's just hope you never need any hospital treatment if you have that much complaint about blood tests.

ETA I suppose everything is relative, but from the time I spent in hospitals last year, the least of my worries or causes of pain were the blood tests.
    I don't appreciate your tone. :no:
    As I've said before, "worse" will always exist, no matter what. It doesn't mean people shouldn't complain about "bad". And I wasn't crying in a corner, cursing gods and devils or begging for my life. It was a simple, empty complaint about something I don't like, and I don't think anyone likes.
    Sorry, that daft 'rolls eyes' thing makes the tone seem a lot harsher than I meant it.

I was just trying to point out that people build blood tests up to be some major issue, but compared to lots of things (lots of vaccination, hard bumps and bruises, anything other than a slight scratch) they don't hurt and aren't something to worry about.

It's worth remembering if you're getting worried about it, that while it's a strange feeling, it probably doesn't hurt any more than the last time you walked into the side of a table. :)
    Alright, sorry I misread your tone. :)
    I didn't make it up to be a major issue, just something I really don't like. And the differences with the side of the table are a)that the side of the table doesn't usually break the skin and b)the moment I felt the side of the table I'd get my leg away from it, while the needle is something I have to keep feeling for several seconds. :p
    I was just trying to point out that people build blood tests up to be some major issue, but compared to lots of things (lots of vaccination, hard bumps and bruises, anything other than a slight scratch) they don't hurt and aren't something to worry about.

:yes: I found this as well.
    Raah, I need to rant.

So that thing is still there, but getting smaller. I was at the doctor's on Monday, he said it should be gone in the following week. The scab over the wound still hasn't left either, but it was pretty deep.

Today my mum notices it's still there and starts shouting, almost crying, about what is happening to me and how she's an irresponsible mother and shit. I mean, it's lessening, others told me they were swollen for a long time after an infected thing, and I'm not in any pain or anything. Plus, the blood test came out perfectly normal, the doctor wasn't worried at all, and if was something more serious it would have spread by now. But no, she knows better and since it's not gone it must be something terrible.
    And that shit about "irresponsible mother", wtf is up with that? I'm not a little kid for fuck's sake, I think I'm as capable of deciding if something is to worry about as any other person, and ffs the thing is on MY foot. The other day I was telling her it's not her business to go and talk to doctors about it (because she's been doing that too) but MINE, and she just said "Oh really? I don't think so!" as if I'd just told her I have the right to order her around.
    This is so damn annoying, I keep telling myself that she's a person to be pitied and not get mad at but it's getting so hard to just keep ignoring her when she gets annoying. And by worrying like that she gets me worried too when everything says I shouldn't be.
    Rant over.