Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shiny hair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Theres alot of stuff out there I've seen for different things to make your hair shiny and pretty. Just a one a day after product type thing. The John Frieda glaze, in clear... and I can't think of anything else right now... Does anybody have any experience with any products like this? Any to stay away from or reccomend?
'
But not like a treatment or conditioner any thing like that, just a product you'd use when you feel like it, for that extra shine

Comments

• Options
    i have a tigi superficial serum which is meant to make your hair nice and shiney/glossy but i haven't really noticed any difference! and i think someone else on here said that john frieda glaze made their hair greasy. but as always it depends on your own hair type.
  • Options
    Coconut oil is supposed to be good to make hair shiny but it can take a couple of washes to wash it out and I don't really have time to do that. I've been using a coconut conditioner which has been doing a good enough job. I cover my hair in it root to tip for about half an hour before I get into the shower, showering then washing it off. It's quite hard to rinse out so I've been washing it out with shampoo and it's been quite nice.
  • Options
    most brands carry a serum in a really small bottle and i love those for when i straighten my hair (but cant be bothered with them any other time). All you need (for medium length hair, shoulder and a little longer) is a tiny dot, about half to the full size of a pea. Massage it into your hands and rub most of it into the tips and whatevers left run through your hair.

I have pretty oily hair and that gives enough shine without a greasy oil slick look.
  • Options
    Pah to all those products that claim to make your hair shiny - what a waste of money.

My secret is, COLD WATER. As cold as you can stand it - stick your hair and scalp under the tap and Voila, wonderously shiny hair. Models often do it with evian, but tap water does the same thing lol.
  • Options
    I love shiny hair !

dont waste too much money on products you can most likely get a good hair shine by using good shampoo and conditioner.

When the conditioner is in your hair brush in through and leave it for a minute or so then rinse it out and then blast it with cold water. Pat your hair down before you put it into a turban (if you do) and blow dry it downwards then blast it with the cold button on the hair dryer. There, that should work :)
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Coconut oil is supposed to be good to make hair shiny but it can take a couple of washes to wash it out and I don't really have time to do that. I've been using a coconut conditioner which has been doing a good enough job. I cover my hair in it root to tip for about half an hour before I get into the shower, showering then washing it off. It's quite hard to rinse out so I've been washing it out with shampoo and it's been quite nice.

i read somewhere that leaving your conditioner in for 30 mins makes no difference to leaving it in for say 10 minutes.
  • Options
    Brylcreem will make your hair soft and shiny BUT the UK version in the red tub smells really bad ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brylcreem

The ones from other countries are much nicer and fraction of the price too... can often find them in bargain shops that tend to import a lot of stuff.

http://www.awanplc.co.uk/assets/products/214-539.jpg
  • Options
    Rinsing your hair in cold water and giving it a final blast with the cold setting when you're blowdrying your hair makes it shiny- or Umberto Gianni (sp) shine spray is really good. Smells nice too :)
  • Options
    I use a bed head shine spray when I must have extra shine, but other than that, I drink lots of water, condition my hair every wash, and rinse it in cold water.

Apparently ( I could be wrong this is second hand knowledge ) the serums and sprays that contain silicon make your hair look good short term but then after continuous use it looks bad without it and you grow to need it every day.
  • Options
    Pah to all those products that claim to make your hair shiny - what a waste of money.

My secret is, COLD WATER. As cold as you can stand it - stick your hair and scalp under the tap and Voila, wonderously shiny hair. Models often do it with evian, but tap water does the same thing lol.

I agree
  • Options
    Tony and Guy heat protection made my hair shiney when i used it. :thumb:
  • Options
    Herbal Essences hair dye in Radiant Ruby, ha. :razz:
  • Options
    I'd go with the blasting it under cold water idea..freezes your tits of..but good for shiny hair !

Though I heard that it is harder to make blonde hair shiny because of the cuticles or something...where as it's easier with dark hair? Is this true or am I just talking crap...which I most prob am :chin:
  • Options
    It's true - dark hair is more reflective than blonde hair - but you can get shiny blonde hair...
  • Options
    http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/lookfantastic/88888/mia/pid/5644386

Tigi s factor, flat iron shine spray, is really good for it,and it's a thermal protector aswell. I also use the bed head after party smoohing creme which is nice, and stops flyaways.

The cold water thing has never made a difference for me though.
  • Options
    It's true - dark hair is more reflective than blonde hair - but you can get shiny blonde hair...

Oooh can you, how? I was starting to think I was stuck with my unshiny hair :(
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    Oooh can you, how? I was starting to think I was stuck with my unshiny hair :(

See my post above, it seriously works for me, i always get told how soft and shiney my hair is, and it's dyed light blonde. :thumb:
  • Options
    I get told I have very shiny hair, but it's straight and almost black which always looks shiner anyway. But I always condition, and comb through the conditioner. Rinse with very cold water. Don't blow dry until hair is at least half dry naturally, then use a brush to pull it taut while drying.

Use good brushes, don't use too much product. Satin pillowcases are good too.
  • Options
    Pfft at all that product nonsense. Shampoo and conditioner always works for me. Maybe because I have thick dark hair but it's always nice and shiny.
  • Options
    Pfft at all that product nonsense. Shampoo and conditioner always works for me. Maybe because I have thick dark hair but it's always nice and shiny.

Have you got long hair?