Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Problems With Sleeping

Have finally grown out of the awful waking up really early and then falling asleep around mid afternoon/struggling to stay awake.

Anyway, on & off for months, I've found it really hard to sleep then when I've finally got to sleep, it's not for long. I normally wake up at least twice (usually around 2 & 5/6am) then fall alseep and then wake up just after 8/just before 9 - I think most of this is because on shcool nights I'd be in bed by 9.30 then my alarm would go off at either 5.45 or 6.30am. (depending on what day it is)

Recently, I've started going to bed really late (12-1am) but always am awake at 6am and usually (like Monday morning) it can take me ages to get back to lseep and then I won't sleep long.

Is there anything I can do to stop this happening? Also, is there anything I can do so that it doesn't take me nearly 2 hours to get to sleep?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you know why your finding it hard to get to sleep? Are you particularly stressed about anything, think alot at night? If you can figure out your patterns/how your thinking at certain times then it'll be easier to sort out.
    Example: i think WAY too much at night time; its when im most relaxed and therfore for some reason why my brain thinks its a good idea to think about life. GRRR. And it obviously get worse depending on what going on with me; more stuff = more stress = less sleep. :banghead: So ideally i should try and get rid of all the shit in my head before i try and sleep.

Routine is good and very helpful 4 changing ur thinking. If you associate certain hours (ie between 10pm-8am) with your bed an only getting to sleep then your body should keep that up after a while. If your lying awake for hours then its good to get up and try and chill out your brain for a little while (read, write, music, walk, whatever) and then go bed to bed when you feels really exhausted and like you might actually drop off.

What do you do when you wake up? Cos the same think could apply. Theres not much point of lying in bed if you feel wide awake hoping you'll get to sleep again. Distracting yourself should help u from thinking about how ur not asleep aswell. As a last resort theres sleeping tablets which i wouldn't really advise (c other post). And look up 'Sleep hygiene' for simple stuff that should make you more relaxed, hopefully.

X
    I have no idea why I find it hard getting to sleep - I was fine on Sunday evening so I really understand why I spelt the way I did. (although my friend scaring me a while back about something probably didn't help...)

When I wake up, I normally go downstairs, have breakfast, get changed then get ready to go out or go on the computer for a bit.

I got told (by someon on here) that reading wasn't a good thing before sleeping.

If I went bed when I felt exhausted, then that will be any time between about 8pm and 1am...
    The reading thing: i think thats depends completely on the person. I can see how it would wake someone up more if your already pretty sleepy but the idea of it could apply to anything that suits you. What makes you relaxed?

And going to bed anything between 8 n 1 would suck for a little while but it actually might be the most helpful thing longterm. Your meant to go to back 10 minutes early than you did the previous night and gradually get earlier and earlier.

If you wake up randomly through the night do you find it hard to drop off? Do u stay in bed or get up?

N maybe look at links between days/nights you haven't slept. Whats been going on around that time? Anything follow a pattern?
    About the waking up during the night - it depends. Sometimes, I might go to the toilet, but other than that, I just have a drink and then try to get back to sleep.

I don't think there's really a pattern with stuff going on when I keep waking up during the night. I mean, nothing happened Sunday evening, but was awake very earlier Monday morning and stuff happened last night and I slept alright. :confused:
    Sofie wrote: »
    About the waking up during the night - it depends. Sometimes, I might go to the toilet, but other than that, I just have a drink and then try to get back to sleep.

I don't think there's really a pattern with stuff going on when I keep waking up during the night. I mean, nothing happened Sunday evening, but was awake very earlier Monday morning and stuff happened last night and I slept alright. :confused:

missing proper sleep can really mess with your mind, and make you feel crappy in the daytimes. I found a nice GP who's been trying to help me with my sleep pattern. If your sleep problems persist, go to the docs- they can help you, I'm on my fifth GP now, and this one is really trying to help me.
    katralla wrote: »
    missing proper sleep can really mess with your mind, and make you feel crappy in the daytimes. I found a nice GP who's been trying to help me with my sleep pattern. If your sleep problems persist, go to the docs- they can help you, I'm on my fifth GP now, and this one is really trying to help me.

What sort of things willa GP do?

Despite falling a asleep yesterday afternoon (admitedly, it was only for about half an hour) I did manage to sleep fine last from about 12 - 7.30 this morning.

The one thing I can't understand is why I'm really tired around 8 & 11 always, but hardly ever any other time.:confused:
    Sofie wrote: »
    What sort of things willa GP do?

give you sleeping drugs :p
    :p