Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Addicted to sleeping pills?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For about 4 months now I have been taking pills on and off to get me to sleep. I was originally prescribed Zopiclone by my doctor for exam stress then diazepam, and I occasionally use Sopidol (can't quite remember the name) which is a really strong painkiller which causes drowsiness.

I've always had a bit of a problem with insomnia but it got a little better after my exams and I stopped taking any pills. But a few weeks ago something really bad happened and I hate sleeping here. I've tried sleeping without the pills and I just can't - it takes me hours to sleep as my mind is racing and then if I do fall asleep I wake up every hour or so. Then I'm knackered in the morning and am tired throughout the day.

I don't want to go and have counselling about what happened nor do I really want to go back to the doctor (who I'm sure will just give me more sleeping pills - which would be great, but I know it's quite bad). I just don't know what to do really.

Any advice?! :( Also, does anyone know if sleeping pills like Zopiclone are actually bad for you?!

Comments

• Options
    There seems to be conflicting reports as to whether Zopiclone is chemically addictive like valium, but it will definitely be very strongly habit forming.

This NHS site says that it shouldnt be stopped quickly if used for four weeks or more;

http://www.nmhct.nhs.uk/Pharmacy/sleep2.htm

As for its harm, to my knowledge its a relatively easy drug on the body, but thats not really the point, relying on any drug to get you to sleep is a bad idea.

And frankly it sounds like you are using the drugs to mask something else, which will never work and is likely to only make it better. Whether you want to or not I suggest you try and deal with the 'very bad thing that happened'.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    And frankly it sounds like you are using the drugs to mask something else, which will never work and is likely to only make it better. Whether you want to or not I suggest you try and deal with the 'very bad thing that happened'.

Yeah sorry I didn't want to explain the 'bad thing' as it's not something people would like to hear. Anyway, yeah I don't think Zopiclone is chemically addictive but it's certainly addictive from the point of view of being able to sleep when I want to.
  • Options
    Pink Soda wrote: »
    Yeah sorry I didn't want to explain the 'bad thing' as it's not something people would like to hear. Anyway, yeah I don't think Zopiclone is chemically addictive but it's certainly addictive from the point of view of being able to sleep when I want to.

That's fair enough, whether you want to explain the 'bad thing' on here or not is totally up to you. All I would say is that if you start trying to mask a mental trauma with drugs that is a very slippery slope.
  • Options
    I've suffered insomnia enough, but I have never taken pills. My feeling is that when I'm really that tired I will fall asleep.

While I'm awake I pass the time by reading. Reading will often make me sleepy.

What time do you get up in the morning?
  • Options
    Pink Soda wrote: »
    Also, does anyone know if sleeping pills like Zopiclone are actually bad for you?!

YES I KNOW that Zopiclone is chemically addictive, and drugs like that will probably just lose there affect after while if you use them too much.

I was on it for about 5 days in a row, then had one night off. Had it again the next night and had all sorts of freaky symtoms and an awful night. I didn't get to sleep and was seriould confused and disorentated. it was pretty horrible actually.

I totally get the frustration of fucking isomania, i went through a peroid of not having one single good nights sleep for about 6 months. it was living hell. But anyway i wouldn't rely on sleeping tablets to get you to sleep if you can help it. maybe talk to you GP about another less addictive drug? They are out there. And maybe look up 'Sleep Hygiene' on google; its stuff like having a routine before bed etc. which is always worth a try. If you manage to get into a routine which slips thats usually when sleeping tablets work best for bout 2 nights in a row, no more. Hope it helps x
  • Options
    I've just read your post through properly which i really should have done in the first place :(

Can you aviod sleeping in that place? Or is that your bedroom? Don't mean to be nosy but not getting sleep is shit and sleeping somewhere where your not comfortable anyway wont help.

Your GP will know that Zopiclone is an addictive drug. Could you maybe speak to a doc that you trust and know well and explain that you feel adictted? But that you have real problems sleeping without something and isn't there a non addictive drug you could have? I think theres one that begins with K....but can't remember. sorry thats really unhelpful.

Or you could stick it out for a little while with the sleep hygiene and if your still having problems ask for a non adictive drug to get you into a routine.

And about the thing that you don't want to talk about...i totally get/respect/relate to not wanting to talk about it, have you discussed it with anyone? Maybe close friends or family that could maybe ease your mind a little bit. Might help, espically if you have to carry on sleeping there. xxx
  • Options
    zopiclone is one of the lesser addictive drugs really. Its a better alternative to benzo's/ hypnotics such as diazepam or temazepam.

Solpidol is co-codamol, and it will be the codiene in it that makes you drowsy. You should try not to use them unless you really need to, for pain.

Have you tried any OTC sleep aids? Phenergan can be bought, you would have to ask in a pharmacy for it. Its a sedating antihistamine, you may find that helps you get off to sleep, and it'd be better than using zopiclone.
  • Options
    My mum takes these pills, and really struggles coming off them.

I think part of the addiction is your own mind playing tricks on you. You get into the habit of thinking 'if i don't take the tablet i know i wont sleep', so you take them to make sure you do.

I don't know if that makes much sense? I just know that that's how it is for my mum