Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The Return of the Swan-Eating Immigrants!

There are few sights so serene as a swan sailing majestically along the Grand Union Canal.

Except, that is, when it is being chased by a gang of hungry, knife-wielding Eastern Europeans.
Full horrifying story

Well, thank fuck for the Associated Newspapers keeping us up to date with the actions of evil Eastern European migrants eh...
:D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Well, thank fuck for the Associated Newspapers keeping us up to date with the actions of evil Eastern European migrants eh...
    :D

i cant really see what your problem is, these migrants are clearly in the wrong
    "She added that the migrants had failed to grasp the concept of catching fish for sport and returning them to the water."

I dont either to be honest, seems a very odd way to spend your time.

It wouldnt surprise me if a few are fishing for food, and taking the odd duck here and there, but I doubt it is an organised and wide spread practice.

Four Chinese students at my mates uni were thrown out when they used a crossbow to kill and then eat a duck from the campus grounds.
    In the words of South Park,

THEY TOOK OUR SWANS!
    budda wrote: »
    Four Chinese students at my mates uni were thrown out when they used a crossbow to kill and then eat a duck from the campus grounds.

Fucking hell. Where they thrown out for killing the ducks, or using a crossbow by any chance?
    Territt wrote: »
    My problem is that such stories have been up to date 100% utter bollocks.

And chances are this is utter bollocks too.

The swan-eating immigrants story has been peddled once or twice before. It invariably turned out to be bullshit.

But then what else can you expect from the likes of the Express and the Daily HateMail?
    Territt wrote: »

Not so much the story itself, but the way it is written to obviously provoke retarded responses like this one:
    Yet another reason for limiting eastern European migration.

- Charles, London
    Fucking hell. Where they thrown out for killing the ducks, or using a crossbow by any chance?

I dont think it really mattered which they were getting thrown out for, but I think officially it was the duck because it was classed as college property.
    A small group of people from a certain area of the world do something stupid. I bet you could find a thousand things that British people are doing that are just as stupid. It’s just yet another attempt by certain aspects of the media to produce sensationalist rubbish in order to try and make people take a dislike to foreigners. Where is the article about the thousands of hard working eastern Europeans doing the jobs nobody else would take, and probably on a lower wage too?
    Its Silly Season so you can guarantee stories about swan eating immigrants, how its the hottest/coldest/rainiest/driest summer for at least six years and that a Great White will be spotted off Cornwall...
    I suppose the Luton club get some free publicity, those dirty gyppos get lynched, and everyone is happy.
    This thread has more to do with Aladdin's foaming-at-the-mouth hatred for Associated Newspapers than anything else. Has he forgotten that the other media groups are just as shit? :p
    What you on about SG, the BBC are amazing and never print biased stories...
    sorry I hate this anti-immigrant stuff, although it is true that if they come to this country they have to abide by the law and can't go around catching wild animals because that's illegal here, even if they are going to eat them.
    Kermit wrote: »
    What you on about SG, the BBC are amazing and never print biased stories...
    At least they don't peddle openly racist and xenophobic lies as news.

BBC is not the only one not to do that of course. Regardless of political bias you don't see proper newspapers spreading lies and manipulative rubbish as seen in the Express, Mail and to a lesser degree the S*n. Those rags are in a league of their own.
    sorry I hate this anti-immigrant stuff, although it is true that if they come to this country they have to abide by the law and can't go around catching wild animals because that's illegal here, even if they are going to eat them.
    Of course they have to obey the law. But past similar stories in the Express turned out to be a complete fabrication, and even if there is some truth about some chaps who happen to be foreigners catching a few swans this time, the entire article is design to bias you against immigrants and to suggest Eastern Europeans are all at it.

I should think that English white tramps have eaten and continue to eat far more swans than foreigners could muster, though you won't be reading about that in the tabloid press.

The article a disgusting piece of thinly-disguised xenophobic garbage, in the best traditions of the right wing tabloid 'press'. And probably utter bollocks anyway.
    To be honest I don't necessarily agree they should obey the law - if a man's starving and is out catching wild animals to eat it should be entirely legal - Budda's highlighted point from someone that they 'don't understand it's a sport' hits the nail on the head. It's a wild animal, it's food, eat it - don't toy with so you and your chums can enjoy a spot of relaxed fishing on a summer's day.
    If they're starving then yeah, eat what you can, but unless Bedfordshire has turned into the Sudan in the last fortnight then I'd doubt that they were starving.

Hunting has a large tradition so they're probably ignorant of the laws, but swans have always been protected by UK law so they should be prosecuted regardless IMHO.
    "She added that the migrants had failed to grasp the concept of catching fish for sport and returning them to the water."

I dont either to be honest, seems a very odd way to spend your time.

It wouldnt surprise me if a few are fishing for food, and taking the odd duck here and there, but I doubt it is an organised and wide spread practice.

was that york uni?

I'm sure I've heard the story!
    That story was doing the rounds when I was at York Uni...
    It was doing the rounds when I was at lancaster (except they were Maylasian)

Sounds a bit like an urban myth...
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    was that york uni?

I'm sure I've heard the story!

No University of Kent, given it was a close friend and they were there at the time I believe the story.
    I heard that about York uni too, they found a beak and some legs in the bin apparently!
    That's the same story I heard in '94
    No University of Kent,

Ducks at UKC? Didn't think there was any water nearby...
    When were facts allowed to get in the way of a good urban myth MoK? ;)
    Ducks at UKC? Didn't think there was any water nearby...

There were ducks there last time I went there, I think they live in a ditch or something, but they had cute ducklings.
    theres a pond near one of the colleges