Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Belly Button Piercing

Well, I've wanted to have it done for ages so I think I'm going to get it done this week.

Questions......

1. I realise it hurts but how much? :p

2. Whats the best way to keep it clean?

Cheers :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh I have found the easiest piercing cleaner. A saline spray you can buy at any pharmacy. They are bottled by other nose products. It says its a moisturizing nasal spray, for allergies and such. Like http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100095&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod2501966 but its just a saline. The ingrediants are just distilled water, salt and some anti-infectives. And cuz its in a nice bottle for easy use and you don't have to make some salt water stuff every day. When I was at the docs not too long ago I asked to see if thats equally as good and she said it was.

They have so many different and cute naval jewlery out there. Go you :D
    You will hardly feel it at all, they'll spray some freezing stuff on it and it will probably feel like a little pin prick.

I can't remember cleaning mine although I probably did, I may have been given some stuff to clean with but just remember to turn it on a regular basis, that can be quite a pain to have to do at times. Don't take it out either because it heals up VERY quickly so you may have to re pierce it yourself. I made that mistake.

If your not given anything to clean it with then salt water will do the trick.

ETA: After reading my_names post it reminded me that I used a Savlon spray and just sprayed that on a regular basis.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Savlon may be a little drying, salt water/saline solution is a good option. Your piercer should be able to recommend something, and give you after care instruction, if they are any good.
    As squeal said, they sprayed some freezing stuff on mine and all i felt was the pressure but no pain. I cleaned mine with salt water and it was fine.

But, please make sure you really want it, i took mine out over two years ago and the hole is still obvious and not healed over on the outside
    I wouldn't recommend 'turning' it at all - it can cause unnecessary irritation which can ultimately lead to migration or rejection.

Clean it with saline once a day, or twice if it gets particularly crusty. You can soak it for 10 minutes every other day using an egg cup full of saline.

Try to keep your trousers well out of the way and try not to sleep on your stomach. Don't play with it.
    I heard that too. Turning is bad. Along with what Illora said, with the unnecessary movement, ickies can get in and you can get infected from it also.
    my_name wrote: »
    I heard that too. Turning is bad. Along with what Illora said, with the unnecessary movement, ickies can get in and you can get infected from it also.

Ah I may be wrong then :( how come they advise you to do that when you have your ears pieced then?
    Well I'm probably wrong, but I think I read it had something to do with the jewlery and the way it was pierced? With the gun it just pushes the skin to the side and the way the gun earring is shaped, you can grow into/around it so you need to turn it to prevent that as opposed to the hole from a needle? Now I'm just making things up :p *goes off to search*

I gave up and asked on a forum ;)
    http://www.bodyartforms.com/forumsV9/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8973
    See if anybody knows...
    i moved mine up and down but never turned it...just make sure it doesnt get too crusty (which is why i moved it up and down)
    I have to clean my eyebrow piercing 2 times a day with salt water (or the shop's saline solution, but your own salt water is just as good) for the first 4 months, every time I get it pierced.
    As others have said though, Savlon cream works aswell... I was using that on holiday.
    Don't take it out and don't go swimming until it's healed.
    I got mine done about 8 years ago...just to warn you...it shrinks quite a bit - as in I had it done with a 10mm bar and now a 6mm bar is even too big! The same as happened to my friends, I'm not sure why.
    I cleaned mine with the solution they gave me and cotton buds - don't think I had any problems with it. Wasn't painful either - had my nose done and that hurt alot more!
    i didnt think it hurt that much at all just a little bit wen the numbing stuff was wearing off.
    And i think all i cleaned it with was salt water and occasionally witch hazel. and i didnt have any problems with it just make sure u clean it regularly
    another point - DONT use surgical spirits to clean it, its WAY to harsh on the skin, although my GP seemed to think otherwise.
    if you have any problems or queries, the best person to consult is the person who pierces it!
    And also, just a personal opinion, but titanium jewerelly is alot better, apparently far fewer people develop a reaction to it, mine didnt heal properly until i changed my bar to a titanium one!
    What most people said - dont turn it! clean it with a warm salt water solution...i had mine pierced like 7 years ago, they sprayed loads of this numbing stuff on it so it didnt hurt that much, its weird cos i've never had numbing stuff on any of my other piercings. It hurt quite a lot for like two weeks after, I remember being at work and not being able to sweep up cos it was hurting to bend over on it! But then one day it suddenly stopped hurting, not even a teeny bit and I've had it ever since.
    cleanliness is next to godliness

I had mine done a while back.

The actual piercing didn't hurt excessively, but it was sore
    for a while after.

They can tend to get infected.
    Best way to combat it is salt water.
    I have a kick ass way of making sure all the water goes where it should.
    Just fill a shot glass, lie down and sit the glass over your navel.
    Just let it do its thing for a couple of mins and you're good to go.

P.s...if it's a ring, rotate it though the hole every once in a while.
    I had it done yesterday :D

It fucking hurt though as they didn't put freezing stuff on.

Its really sore. I can't bend forward at all. How long will it be sore for?

I've got Savlon Wound Wash spray stuff as that is what I was recommended by the piercer. Is that ok?
    Oh yay, congrats :D

Now go post lj pictures ;)

How long do navel piercings heal for befor eyou can change them? They are just so fun with the different jewlery :D I saw pink jeweld dangly handcuffs the other day. Oh too awsome.
    I wouldn't use savlon spray myself. It's got pretty high potential to breed bacteria in the tubes of the spray. Your best bet is to boil some water up and dissolve some salt, then just use cotton wool to clean your piercing.

As for the pain- it should settle in a couple of days- the pain is part of the fun of piercings! :p If it doesn't settle within a week, go back to the studio who did it.
    Ha, can't be arsed with LJ right now. I've got too much to update about and so little time for the internet anymore. Shall *try* to find time at the weekend when I go home.

My piercing thing has pink on it :D