Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Wet to straight straighteners

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive done a search for these in the forum, but most straightener threads were about GHDs so thought Id start a new one for these.

I'm in need of some new straighteners, but nothing as pricey as GHDs (I was looking at no more than bout £50). I was considering getting the Remington 'Wet 2 Straight' ones as theres then no need for me to hairdry my hair before straightening.

Just wondered if anyone had them and thought they were worth buying? Or if you had any other suggestions?
Cheerz me dearz x

Comments

• Options
    If you want to fry your hair then choose Wet to Straight... if you've got a grain of sense, avoid them at all costs! I have Remington slim straightners, think they cost about £40, but I don't really use them a lot so can't say how reliable they would be if you used them every day.
  • Options
    Dont tend to straighten my hair everyday, infact Id probs only use them mainly for nights out. My old straighteners were remington power ceramic ones, but theyve packed up.
    I was just curious if they were any good...
  • Options
    I bought some. They weren't that great. It took several times going over one bit to get it dry and its good for a wavy/straight look but not too straight. Plus I don't like the feeling of wet hair so I've only used them twice and they sit under the sink.

And if you do get them, watch where you put your hands! The steam is hot (obvious, but still, it can sneak up on you :p)

But I hate blowdrying hair too so it's not any worse than that ;)

And on a positive note, there were virtually no frizzies or flyaways when I used the wet to straight as opposed to other ones.
  • Options
    I have them and use them every other day, but I dont use them when my hair is wet, did once and you have to go over your hair a couple of times, I'd rather blow dry them! They are good as normal straightners, but when your hair is wet it seems to take ages.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I love my remingtons wet to straight straightners. Contrary to popular belief, they don't fry your hair like you would expect and I have used them on wet hair. I mainly use them on dry hair, though, as it takes much less time to straighten. I have the wide, gold set and they are really good.
  • Options
    I love my remingtons wet to straight straightners. Contrary to popular belief, they don't fry your hair like you would expect and I have used them on wet hair. I mainly use them on dry hair, though, as it takes much less time to straighten. I have the wide, gold set and they are really good.

I agree, i really like them. i tend to blow dry my hair a bit first and then use them with heat protection spray. they keep my hair straighter for much longer than other ones i've tried
  • Options

I agree too. I use mine on towel dried hair everytime (use Tresemme(?) straighteners when my hair is already dry) and have never had a problem with the condition of my hair - my hairdresser doesn't believe me that I use them so often and my hair is still in great condition without tonnes of products!

Would totally recommend them. Am now on my second pair - the first lasted two complete years (got them at xmas 2004 back when they were £80!) then the plate coating started to come off in small places. I think the plates are made / coated with different stuff now tho'.
  • Options
    noooooooooo! don't get them sweetie! eventually they make your hair become really corse as you are literally burning it straight. the noise it makes as they go over your hair is it ruining it!

As they always say, keep water away from electrical appliances!!

xx
  • Options
    They can't work that well if they're meant to be simply wet to straight but every person who owns a pair has said that they blow-dry their hair first, otherwise it takes too long...
  • Options
    Vogetti Straighteners

If you want a good alternative to ghds try Vogetti red & black straighteners they are a salon quality straighteners but are a fraction of the price. You can get them for £44.95 including delivery from Haircare Heaven :wave:
  • Options
    jj1984 wrote: »
    If you want a good alternative to ghds try Vogetti red & black straighteners they are a salon quality straighteners but are a fraction of the price. You can get them for £44.95 including delivery from Haircare Heaven :wave:
    I'm totally buying those when I get paid ;o.
  • Options

oooOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo *buys*
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Luce wrote: »
    They can't work that well if they're meant to be simply wet to straight but every person who owns a pair has said that they blow-dry their hair first, otherwise it takes too long...

Mine do work well when you use them whilst wet and do use them wet when going out or whatever. I just find my hair easier to handle when dry.

Also, the hiss isn't your hair frying. I have used wet to straight straightners for a while now (when my hair was really long it was exclusively whilst it was wet) and my hair isn't all coarse, dry or ruined.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Do you happen to work for hair care heaven by any chance jj?
  • Options
    i work for the salon that owns the site. www.moda-greco.co.uk
  • Options
    Berfore I got my GHD's I had the wet to straight straightners. They were all right, but didn't do much for my hair, they never really made it that straight, and my hair only has a slight wave to it it's not as if it's really curly. I wouldn't really recommend them.
    I only used them once on wet hair and the noise they made scared me so never used them on wet hair again! I suppose as long as you use lot's of heat protection products they can't damage your hair too much.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    i work for the salon that owns the site. www.moda-greco.co.uk

You may want to read the t's & c's you agreed to when you signed up to the boards, because some of your posts have been blatant spam. Just a warning to be careful, and really transparent about your association with any sites you link to. If you aren't sure, check in with a mod...
  • Options
    Wet to Straight straightners are really bad for your hair so make sure you put some product on before or youll end up with loads of split ends !

I think GHD's are the best ... I love mine :) They are about 100 quid though so maybe ask for them as a birthday present ?