Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Default on credit report...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK gonna keep this as simple as possible, i recently applied for a virgin credit card online, and was asked to call to confirm a few details, the nice chappy asked why i had a default on my account from some years ago to a communications company, i didnt know, made no sense...i got accepted anyway but he advised me to get my credit report and see what it was.

ive just received my report from experian and there is a item on there from 2002 which was defaulted in 2004 from 02 communications, the amount is £309....i did have a o2 mobile back then but have no idea about why i owe them £309, i have never been contacted by them via post or phone about this.

its showing as status 8 on my report which means the credit agreement has ended.

i have got a number for o2 which ive tried ringing but i keep get stuck in a queue and need to go out.

just after advice before i try again later.

ta!

Comments

• Options
    Get onto O2 and tell them to get it sorted. People may refuse you credit if they are put off by this default. Companies are also obliged to keep their credit details of customers up-to-date.
  • Options
    Kepp trying to get through and explain patiently about the item on your crdit report, might help if you have an old contract number for the phone if required and your address at the time if you've moved and didnt update them. They do have to kepp details of customer accounts for quite a few years and should be able to explain why, if you dont feel your getting anywhere ask to speak to someone higher up. It may take them some time to work out why you have a charge so be patient for a couple of weeks.

And dont except the BT excuse of "we cant tell you where your over/inder payment is from as we dont keep detailed customer records for longer then six months". :yeees:
  • Options
    didnt get through in the end, couldnt be bothered waiting, will try again in the morning.

the things thats bothering me is that it says in the stuff that came with it that even if defaults are resolved they stay on there for 6 years, which is a bollock ache.

i'll see how i do tomorrow.
  • Options
    Doesnt a certain Aberdeen FC supporting poster work for O2 :D

Maybe he can help. Friends in high places and all that. I would wait a bit though, think hes pissed at the moment :razz:
  • Options
    You can actually add a note to your credit report if there is any discrepancies or you wish to comment on something particular in your defence.

For example, I worked for Avon and as I was dealing with people's money order for some reason that showed on MY credit report if an order wasn't fully paid. Also I had someone fraudulently take money from me when I was with Barclays, ultimately putting me in debt for over a year... so I put notes on explaining why those were showing as they are.
  • Options
    Generally, though, putting a note on doesn't make a huge amount of difference, as lenders will see the default and reject without even bothering to read the explanation.

It needs to get removed, but good luck with that.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Generally, though, putting a note on doesn't make a huge amount of difference, as lenders will see the default and reject without even bothering to read the explanation.

It needs to get removed, but good luck with that.

Stop stalking me kermie :D:lol:
  • Options
    Yeah man, six years it stays on your account.

Not an expert on the disconnected accounts collections process (dealt with it once I think) but give us a phone on 0870 600 3009 and ask to get put through to the Collections team for Disconnected Accounts.

ETA - Collections won't be able to give that much info on the actual black mark and how it was accumulated on the account. Send an e-mail to insights@o2.com with as much info as you can and they'll get back to you in 4-5 days time.
  • Options
    after all this time i actually forgot about this but another thread reminded me, i totally forgot to chase it up so i have sent a email to that address Bri (thanks for that mate)

i dont think i stand much chance of getting it sorted, but im gonna try, it'll be off by 2010 anyway. quality.
  • Options
    Cool mate, just checked that with my team and the process has changed - you might have more luck sending that email to creditfilereferrals@o2.com :yes:
  • Options
    cheers buddy, just sent it to them as well! :thumb:
  • Options
    Hi mate,

If it is DEFINATELY on there incorrectly, you can actually log this with the credit reference agencies themselves. In the case of equifax, they will sort it out for you within 30 days.

If however the debt could be real? Don't contact them unless you want to pay the money back ..

I have registered a few things in the past with Equifax who sort it out on your behalf and had it removed easily.
  • Options
    well ive had a email back today, not very helpful at all:

Good Day
    Account number ******** Geneva billing system

Thank you for your email about your credit file.

We?re not able to amend your credit file due to an outstanding amount showing from bill dated 25 July 2004.

Please call O2 customer services on 0870 220 3308, quoting the account number and billing system reference above, to discuss and clear the account to a zero balance.

Regards
    Credit File Referrals

i have asked them to forward me the offending bill as im 99% certain that i will have never had a bill of this size, ive given them 7 days to forward me the bill or supplimentary information before i speak to the ombudsman or CAB. i also told them there was no way i was calling a 0870 number to discuss what is likely to be their mistake and certainly wont be giving them the money without further info.

lets hope they come back to me!!

Bri: dont suppose its anything you can look at is it if i have a account number?

ta
  • Options
    Sure, send me a PM mate and I'll see what I can do.