Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Runny nose...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is actually disgusting but I need to do something about it.

I have a right bastard of a cold, and as a result my eyes and my nose are running like crazy. I don't mind my eyes doing it, but the fact that I have a constant stream coming out of my nose is somewhat inconvenient. On top of that, it doesn't feel like "normal", like it's the consistency of water (hence the reason it's constantly running) and it's really annoying me :(.

What can I do to stop it apart from shoving tissue up my (red raw already) nose?

Comments

• Options
    I should be a pusher :p But I am a complete advocate of... of course the webpage isn't working... :\ but if you have benadryl, the stuff for sever sinus, extra strength. For stuffy/runny/clogged noses. In my opinion, its just grand.

And don't forget to moisturize the nose ;)

Feel better :(
  • Options
    Have you tried something like happy nose or olbas oil?
  • Options
    I was thinking something that wasn't going to cost me money ;(.

Manda - I will see how much money I have and if I have enough I will buy some tomorrow :yes:.
  • Options
    make sure you drink lots of water because all that nose running, uses up so much and that in itself can make it take longer to get better if you dont replenish it.
    Also take echinacea :yes:

for your sore nose, i suggest "happinose"
  • Options
    I have been drinking quite a lot, since it gets quite hot at work so I drink a lot there. I'm also currently sipping on Beechams powder, although I can see that getting boring.

I'll look for that Happinose stuff tomorrow, where can you buy it?
  • Options
    any chemist or supermarket i expect. Ive seen it in savers/boots/superdrug.
    Its really soothing for your nose and top lip.
  • Options
    Awesome, I'll go tomorrow :yes:.
  • Options
    Here's two free things...
    Hang on to your exercise habit. If you have just a head cold, with no fever or coughing, moderate exercise like walking will actually boost your body's ability to fight off the cold, says David Nieman, Dr.P.H., professor of health sciences at Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina. Dr. Neiman's research has also shown that exercise will reduce your risk of catching the next cold bug that goes around.

Soothe your sinuses. If a sinus infection is causing the drainage, Dr. Mabry recommends a nasal douche. "Dissolve 1Ž4 teaspoon salt in four ounces of water. Over the sink, pour some into your hand, sniff it up into your nose and then blow it out, one nostril at a time," he suggests. You can also buy bottled nasal saline spray at pharmacies. (For other hints on battling sinus problems, see page 458.)
    http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/16/162.cfm

The saltwater one would be pretty good, I've done that before. (that is if its not too clogged to sniff!)
  • Options
    That sounds really really bizarre :|. But I'll try it, I can just about sniff.

I am coughing though, so that first one seems dead in the water. I need to keep exercising though, so either way :thumb:.