Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

learner driver

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I didn't know where to put this, i have a car but technically i'm still a learner although i can drive no problem i have failed my test purely down to nerves on test day but don't get nervous when driving around with anyone else, a friend has offered to take me out they meet the requirements of being over 21 and have had a driving license for 3 or more years but does he need to be insured on my car or is it ok providing i am insured and display l plates.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    YOU need to be insured and have L plates.
    Hellfire wrote: »
    YOU need to be insured and have L plates.
    I am
    then thats fine
    So long as you (the driver) is insured and your L plates are on then you just need him there to sit with you, he doesn't have to be insured. Especially seeing as you've said yourself - you can drive perfectly fine, so he's not likely to have to take the car off you. My ex's mum used to sit with me all the time in my car, and she wasn't insured on it :)
    He doesn't have to be insured.. but it does make things difficult if you are on a drive and for some reason don't want to or can't drive back. I go out with my parents who are both insured to drive my car, purely just in case I decide I can't handle any more, they can take over. It also helps as they both park my car for me (as it's parked in a tight space at home).

Just a thought.
    Bit of an aside but when you come to take your test again I can reccomend some herbal pills that helped me a lot with nerves on the day. They're from Boots and come in a little tube with a blue lid, if you look at the display you'll find the one for nerves.

You may also be able to take the test in your own car rather than an instructors, I did this and it made me feel like I had one up on the examiner and gave me a lot of confidence.
    I didn't know where to put this, i have a car but technically i'm still a learner although i can drive no problem i have failed my test purely down to nerves on test day but don't get nervous when driving around with anyone else, a friend has offered to take me out they meet the requirements of being over 21 and have had a driving license for 3 or more years but does he need to be insured on my car or is it ok providing i am insured and display l plates.

All that has been previously said is correct but becareful, there are lots of things to watch out for, e.g. if he/she is using their mobile phone even while you are driving, they can receive points on their licence because you are a learner under their supervision. :nervous: