Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

School age to be increased to 6?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lipsy wrote: »
    I'm confused... I can't remember exactly what happened when i was 4 -5 years old... but as far as i know we played loads and loads but still did a bit of reading and drawing and writing. Has it changed since then or soemthing? Are the little 4 year olds doing hardcore spelling tests or something?

Pre-schoolers don't do spelling tests. They are (I think) expected to spell/write their name by the time they go to school. It's just as bad with the toddlers though - by the time they go up to foundation stage (which is just before their 3rd birthday) they're expected to know basic colours, shapes and numbers.
    Sofie wrote: »
    Pre-schoolers don't do spelling tests. They are (I think) expected to spell/write their name by the time they go to school. It's just as bad with the toddlers though - by the time they go up to foundation stage (which is just before their 3rd birthday) they're expected to know basic colours, shapes and numbers.

And thats bad?
    i think its a good idea i think 4 is a little too young to be going to school
    Tweety wrote: »
    Children don't HAVE to go to school until the term AFTER thier 5th birthday.

They don't have to go at all, in fact.
    katralla wrote: »
    They don't have to go at all, in fact.

But do need to have some sort of education.
    Children don't HAVE to go to school until the term AFTER thier 5th birthday.

Has it changed or something then since I started school in 1994? Because I'm sure I started in January, yet my brithday isn't until April and I'm sure there were children whose birthdays were in August who started in April.
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: Someone is speaking my language.

Think me and Budda will have to agree to disagree.

I havent disagreed, I just think changing the school age is pointless, why not just change the stuff kids are taught?

If collectively we think its better for kids to largely just play up till the age of 6, why not just have reception classes be largely play? Surely that would be a considerably easier and cheaper way forward.
    Sofie wrote: »
    But do need to have some sort of education.

Has it changed or something then since I started school in 1994? Because I'm sure I started in January, yet my brithday isn't until April and I'm sure there were children whose birthdays were in August who started in April.

Lots of children do start before thier 5th birthday but they dont have to.
    There are schools by me now which take kids after their 3rd birthday into the reception class!!

She even comes home and they have been teaching her maths and shit, that's fucking mental.

I told my girlfriend that my boy is better off waiting til the term after.. I think that means he'll start just before he's 5.

To be honest, I'm happy with that, I wouldn't want it to be any later as I think he'll be bored, he's a very very clever kid and I think the learning will excite him, as long as it's not over board.

He's only 2 and he gets up some mornings, boots the PC up, logs on, loads firefox and goes on Cbeebies webpage! lol

He also speaks in 2 languages and counts in 3 lol..

OK I'm just showing off now, but I'm a proud parent :thumb: :yippe:
    budda wrote: »
    I havent disagreed, I just think changing the school age is pointless, why not just change the stuff kids are taught?

If collectively we think its better for kids to largely just play up till the age of 6, why not just have reception classes be largely play? Surely that would be a considerably easier and cheaper way forward.

Agreed!