Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Who do Goths Date?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not a Goth myself - but just wanted to know if there are any here - or you know any - do Goths date none Goths?

And what exactly is a goth anyway - how do you define it and do all goths dress like they're out of a Dracula movie?

Comments

• Options
    Not sure about a definition of what one looks like. I reckon some date goths only but then some date whoever.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Not a Goth myself - but just wanted to know if there are any here - or you know any - do Goths date none Goths?

They're the same as any clique; they date whoever they get on with and find attractive. The only group I've ever seen really stick to their own is neds and hardcore kids. Think the only group goths wouldn't go near is neds, indie kids and emo's.
    And what exactly is a goth anyway - how do you define it and do all goths dress like they're out of a Dracula movie?

There isn't a real way to define it, the same as there's no real way to define any group properly. You just uh... need to know what you're looking for I guess.
  • Options
    I've only ever seen goths go out with fellow goths. I see very little intermingling between groups of people who follow these trends, mostly because the majority of people who belong to these groups are teenagers and they all hate each other anyway and stick to their own.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I've only ever seen goths go out with fellow goths. I see very little intermingling between groups of people who follow these trends, mostly because the majority of people who belong to these groups are teenagers and they all hate each other anyway and stick to their own.

:yes:

I don't really see many normal guys (jeans, nice tshirt, trendy haircut) going out with goths, just like you don't see many fit blonde birds going out with goths or emos.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Goths date other goths?
  • Options
    Whoever they fancy?
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    :yes:

I don't really see many normal guys (jeans, nice tshirt, trendy haircut) going out with goths

That's cause goths don't go to the kinds of places to meet those guys. Plenty of goths go out with punks, glam rockers, fellow goths, horror punks, the ocassional metaller etc., purely because they go to the same kind of clubs.
    just like you don't see many fit blonde birds going out with goths or emos.

You see a hell of alot of fit blonde chicks going out with glam dudes, though. Like, seriously fit. Chicks who model and the like.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    That's cause goths don't go to the kinds of places to meet those guys. Plenty of goths go out with punks, glam rockers, fellow goths, horror punks, the ocassional metaller etc., purely because they go to the same kind of clubs.

I've been to loads of rock venues and you will get blanked for your appearance if you don't "fit in", same as a goth will get blanked at a rave. Not by everyone, but by most. Best way to get to know somone who's at the opposite end of the social spectrum is to find a mutual friend and get introduced, that's how I got to know all my grunger friends.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I've been to loads of rock venues and you will get blanked for your appearance if you don't "fit in", same as a goth will get blanked at a rave. Not by everyone, but by most. Best way to get to know somone who's at the opposite end of the social spectrum is to find a mutual friend and get introduced, that's how I got to know all my grunger friends.

I can imagine some places being like that, but not the places I go to. Glasgow's main rock club has two floors; downstairs metal/industrial/classic rock etc. depending on the night, and the top floor more commercial, with things like Pendulum being played every so often. There's emo's, hardcore kids, tranny's, indie kids, trendies, glam rockers, goths, punks, bikers, MILF groupies, all sorts in there, and they all get on.

Goths and emo's are really the only kind's that get blanked at rave's, too. Without sounding big headed (more so!), me and a couple of the guys usually have trendy/"normal" chicks coming onto us with bullshit chat like "ARE YOU GUYS IN A BAND?"
  • Options
    I don't get all these categories though, like what in the name of Christ is a horror punk? And is glam rock not like that boy out of Slade who goes "ITS CHRIIIIIIIISTMAAAAAAS!"?
  • Options
    I don't get all these categories though

Well yeah, that's the problem :razz: It's easy to write everyone who wears black off as a goth which is why people probably think they only go out with their own, but it ain't the case. They're scarily different if you get to know them.
    I don't get all these categories though, like what in the name of Christ is a horror punk? And is glam rock not like that boy out of Slade who goes "ITS CHRIIIIIIIISTMAAAAAAS!"?

Horror punk is some God-awful offshoot of punk where they're obsessed with zombies, death, and looking like zombies and death. See this.

Naw, mutton chops are not glam :razz: Glam is Motley Crue, Vains of Jenna, and an Edinburgh band Peep Show.
  • Options
    I dated a goth as a b-girl. He was lush, fit as fuck and one of the nicest sweetesh guys ever.
  • Options

Taken from : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goth_subculture

"Defining an explicit ideology for the gothic subculture is difficult for several reasons. First is the overwhelming importance of mood and aesthetic for those involved. This is, in part, inspired by romanticism and neoromanticism. The allure for goths of dark, mysterious, and morbid imagery and mood lies in the same tradition of Romanticism's gothic novel. During the 19th century, feelings of horror, and supernatural dread were commercially exploited by gothic writers as a form of mass entertainment; The process continues in the modern horror film. Balancing this emphasis on mood and aesthetics, another central element of the gothic is a deliberate sense of camp theatricality and self-dramatization; present both in gothic literature as well as in the gothic subculture itself.

Goths, in terms of their membership in the subculture, are usually not supportive of violence, but rather with tolerance. Many in the media have incorrectly associated the Goth subculture with violence, hatred of minorities, white supremacy, and other acts of hate. However, violence and hate do not form elements of goth ideology; rather, the ideology is formed in part by recognition, identification, and grief over societal and personal evils that the mainstream culture wishes to ignore or forget. These are the prevalent themes in goth music.[5]

The second impediment to explicitly defining a gothic ideology is goth's generally apolitical nature. While individual defiance of social norms was a very risky business in the nineteenth century, today it is far less socially radical. Thus, the significance of goth's subcultural rebellion is limited, and it draws on imagery at the heart of Western culture. Unlike the hippie or punk movements, the goth subculture has no pronounced political messages or cries for social activism. The subculture is marked by its emphasis on individualism, tolerance for diversity, a strong emphasis on creativity, tendency toward intellectualism, a dislike of social conservatism, and a strong tendency towards cynicism, but even these ideas are not universal to all goths. Goth ideology is based far more on aesthetics than ethics or politics.

Goths may, indeed, have political leanings ranging from left-liberal to anarchist, but they do not express them specifically as part of a cultural identity. Instead, political affiliation, like religion, is seen as a matter of personal conscience. Unlike punk, there are few clashes between political affiliation and being "goth".

For the individual goth, involvement with the subculture can be extremely valuable and personally fulfilling, especially in creative terms. However, it also can be risky, especially for the young, partly because of the negative attention it can attract due to public misconceptions of goth subculture. The value that young people find in the movement is evidenced by its continuing existence after other subcultures of the eighties (such as the New Romantics) have long since died out."
  • Options
    why is everyone hyping up about goths all of a sudden ?

i take it goths date other goths like chavs usually date other chavs and like pigeons date pigeons . mostly people stick to what they know
  • Options
    Yeah, I mean I only ever see goths date goths, chavs date chavs, emo date emo's and normal people date normal people.

I'd probably date an indie chick because some of them are really hot, but the other categories of kids don't appeal to me.

For the record, I hate indie music and I think indie guys look like dicks. :)
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    For the record, I hate indie music and I think indie guys look like dicks. :)

Here Here. :thumb:
    (well, least about the music)
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    I can imagine some places being like that, but not the places I go to. Glasgow's main rock club has two floors; downstairs metal/industrial/classic rock etc. depending on the night, and the top floor more commercial, with things like Pendulum being played every so often. There's emo's, hardcore kids, tranny's, indie kids, trendies, glam rockers, goths, punks, bikers, MILF groupies, all sorts in there, and they all get on.

Goths and emo's are really the only kind's that get blanked at rave's, too. Without sounding big headed (more so!), me and a couple of the guys usually have trendy/"normal" chicks coming onto us with bullshit chat like "ARE YOU GUYS IN A BAND?"
    You do look like you're in a band a bit.
  • Options
    Goths are just people in to a certain scene.

People date who they fancy...

Although as somebody who was in to that scene, there was more pressure to date other "goths" because it's all about fashion and stuff.