Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Attention Goths

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    he gives us welsh people a bad name :impissed: :grump:

Welsh people otherwise have a good name?
    Since when has taking the piss out of a group of people been illegal? At what point was it against the law to make a couple of light-hearted and jovial comments about goths? Still, not to worry. I'm a forgiving soul. It was a Sunday afternoon, and you were bored witless. We've all been there.
    Doofay wrote: »
    Dear god give the poor guy a break! Remember here, he's not insulting a 'group' of people, they're individuals remember...
    Nice to see someone here remains sane.
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    he gives us welsh people a bad name
    I didn't recognise that the Welsh had a good name in the first place. I must have missed something.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    This thread is hilarious.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    These "goths" perpetually whinge that society rejects them

Do they? Which goths would 'these' be?
    that they're outcasted

Again, do they? They're only really "outcasted" from a society they don't take part in anyway. They have their own 'society'; their own clubs, music, friends, hobbies, interests and shops which they are not outcast from.
    Yet goths wear black clothes and look moody all the time.

I know goths who smile :O
    Kiezo wrote: »
    I know goths who smile :O
    A smiling goth? I would love to see that.
    SG: please enlighten me as to your definition of what a "goth" is? I think you'll find what you think they are and what they *actually* are are two different things.
    Franki wrote: »
    SG: please enlighten me as to your definition of what a "goth" is? I think you'll find what you think they are and what they *actually* are are two different things.

Did you not read the definition in the first post? :p
    Did you not read the definition in the first post? :p
    Yes :p.
    Scott. wrote: »

best avatar ever.
    katralla wrote: »
    This prejudice is so distasteful. Do you say these things out loud in the real world? what are you going to do when you get to uni if one of your lecturers is goth, will you disrespect them for the clothes they wear and some shared sentiments that you will assume they hold at least some of? Nobody will be willing to listen to anything sensible you have to say if the majority of the gumph that comes out of your mouth is as your posts on here- prejudiced, immature, and down-right ignorant.

I wouldn't mind what they did in their spare time, but if a uni lecturer turned up in black make up I wouldn't be able to take them seriously! Call me shallow but in certain environments you need to look professional lol.

But as it stands I don't think a lot of people listen to stargalaxy much anyway.
    that has to be american !!
    Since when has taking the piss out of a group of people been illegal? At what point was it against the law to make a couple of light-hearted and jovial comments about goths? Still, not to worry. I'm a forgiving soul. It was a Sunday afternoon, and you were bored witless. We've all been there. Nice to see someone here remains sane.

You weren't taking the piss, you were making sweeping generalisations.
    O_o wrote: »
    best avatar ever.

(one of the) best band(s) ever.
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Lol Oh my god, that's got to be a fucking joke.

If it isn't then i'd have at least expected a Catholic Church of such good breeding to own a spell checker and to use it before printing off God's list of what not to wear rules. ;)

(i know this wasnt aimed at me but as a none-goth i just thought i would say how they come across)

i would think a goth was someone who wore a lot of black, didn't take much care in their appearance/hygiene, listened to like 'rock' or 'metal' and nothing else, narrow-minded in musical tastes, bit depressing at times ..
    Nah, that's not a goth. That's a wannabe tbh. Although that is the common perception of them, I guess. I couldn't tell you what a "proper" goth is, but it's not that. What I CAN say is that they sure as hell put a lot of effort into their appearance.

I'm sure Kiezo will be along soon with what a real goth is :p.
    A smiling goth? I would love to see that.

some of them probably smile. i have to say when i've seen some about they don't tend to. but then again when i'm walking alone i tend not to grin because i would think i looked like a maniac or something.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Nah, that's not a goth. That's a wannabe tbh.

Takes one to know one :p
    Fuck you :grump:.
    easy !
    I'm sure Pat Condell would have something to say about this!

http://www.liveleak.com/browse?user=patcondell :D
    Scott. wrote: »
    (one of the) best band(s) ever.

i know yeh! future of the left are pretty good too, wasn't impressed with shooting at unarmed men tho.

mclusky r.i.p.
    Doofay wrote: »
    Welsh people otherwise have a good name?
    the proportion of wales that doesn't have SG in it has a fairly good name yes
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind what they did in their spare time, but if a uni lecturer turned up in black make up I wouldn't be able to take them seriously! Call me shallow but in certain environments you need to look professional lol.

Wow! I find that so odd, some of the most brilliant people I've had the fortune to meet have been kooky, or other than ordinarily dressed.
    katralla wrote: »
    Wow! I find that so odd, some of the most brilliant people I've had the fortune to meet have been kooky, or other than ordinarily dressed.

Some of the professors at my uni were quite peculiar, but they still turned up to lectures wearing shirts / ties and stuff. I don't think it's necessarily about being 'ordinary' but more about dressing appropriately for the environment.
    What if they hadn't got changed, would they be any less brilliant for it? I don't see that a university environment necessitates a shirt and tie, with free thinking and taking charge of your own education and direction.
    My dad had a professor that had a blue buttom up shirt and khakies every single day. Every single day. That was probably 25+ years ago. A couple years ago my cousin went to the same school. He had the same professor. He had on the same clothes :p He probably has a closet like a cartoon character.

Random clothes related story there for ya.

I think the smarter you are, the more essentric you are. And it can definatly show in your dress sense. But not just smart, but all around intelligent.
    i would think a goth was someone who wore a lot of black, didn't take much care in their appearance/hygiene, listened to like 'rock' or 'metal' and nothing else, narrow-minded in musical tastes, bit depressing at times ..

Naw, that sounds like a metalhead... they don't exactly fare well with the ladies because of the whole appearance/hygine thing. Most of the kids in any of the rock "offshoots" wear black, not just goths. As for the music goths listen to, they uh, listen to a genre called goth. Bands like Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus, The Damned etc. Infact, alot of the goths I know don't actually like metal. Stereotypically they also like Industrial, EBM, etc.
    I'm sure Kiezo will be along soon with what a real goth is :p.

Oh right, I didn't know people were actually waiting on me posting pics etc. :razz: Here, a goth ex;

RRRRRRACHEL!
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Oh right, I didn't know people were actually waiting on me posting pics etc. :razz: Here, a goth ex;

RRRRRRACHEL!

She's really far too hot for her own good :(.