Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Arab princesses kicked off British Airways jet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Full Story (apologies for the source)

I have to say, BA usually cock things up big style, however this time I think they did the right thing (just a shame it took them 3 hours).

Three Arab princesses were thrown off a packed British Airways flight after refusing to sit next to male passengers they didn't know.
The dispute - in which the three princesses from the ultra-conservative Qatar royal family demanded segregated seating - left the London-bound plane delayed for nearly three hours.

Its good to see BA doing the sensible thing and asking them to leave the flight. After all the were delaying all the other passangers. I apreciate they may feel uncomfortable traveling next to male passengers they didnt know, but they are traveling on a commerical aircraft, where anyone who buys a ticket can travel.

If they are that bothered Im sure they could charter a private aircraft.

I just hope BA dont back down and offer them compensation/ free flights etc. They have a habit of doing so behind closed doors.

Still could have been worse, they could have been sat next to some whinging child :p **joke**

:thumb:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Imagine what they'll do to Sainsbury's.
    TBH - I wouldnt' make that much of a fuss but as a girl who has done quite a bit of traveling by myself I always feel a little weird and uncomfortable sitting next to a man i dont' know particually if its an overnight flight. You know trying to sleep that close to someone you dont' know even though your both fully clothed is just weird.

I would much prefer that they had some kind of segregated seating option for loan women. I also think that they were being little culturaly insensitive - sitting next to a man who isn't related to you is a massive no no for many muslim women not just rich ones.
    They should've flown Emirates then. They're cheaper anyway.

Seriously, if you're that bothered, make sure you've bought the two seats next to the window. Most planes have two seats by each window, then 4 in the middle. And most smaller planes have a two and a three with a aisle in the middle.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for someone who gets on a plane and "requires" special seating arrangements, yet clearly put in no effort beforehand to ensure that their needs are met. If you're a disabled passenger, you don't just turn up on the day without telling anyone you're disabled, and expect staff to bend over backwards to accomodate you. If it's that important to you, you'll make sure you remember it before you buy the ticket. Otherwise, fuck off. It's not as if British Airways hasn't accomodated millions of muslim women before without issue, it's just that most of them don't expect everyone else to be inconvenienced for them, and actually have the common sense to ask in advance.
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I also think that they were being little culturaly insensitive - sitting next to a man who isn't related to you is a massive no no for many muslim women not just rich ones.

Then they should have requested this beforehand or hired a private plane, seeing as they're so oil rich.
    I think it was incredibly selfish of them, despite their culture and I'm glad BA kicked them off the flight. They can't just expect people to move for their old fashioned traditions. If I was a passanger on that plane, I would have been fuming.
    If they're so rich, then why not just have a private plane?
    Was she called Princess Tiaamii by any chance?
    I don't see why their views should have been any more respected than that of a racist refusing to sit next to someone of a different race, or someone who finds ginger people repulsive not wanting to sit next to someone with red hair.

They're all totally arbitrary beliefs.
    I don't see why their views should have been any more respected than that of a racist refusing to sit next to someone of a different race, or someone who finds ginger people repulsive not wanting to sit next to someone with red hair.

They're all totally arbitrary beliefs.

You shouldn't have to give your reason for wanting to sit alone. Just as long as you arrange it all beforehand and there are available seats.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    If they're so rich, then why not just have a private plane?

Maybe they're trying to save the environment?
    You shouldn't have to give your reason for wanting to sit alone. Just as long as you arrange it all beforehand and there are available seats.

Agree.

TBH its not even like they wanted to sit alone they just wanted not to sit next to a man who they wern't related to - in many countries this is not such a wildly outrageous suggestion!

I agree that they should have mentioned it earlier - but how many of you have slagged them off been lone women travellers on a long haul flight sitting next to a random man you dont' know?
    TBH its not even like they wanted to sit alone they just wanted not to sit next to a man who they wern't related to - in many countries this is not such a wildly outrageous suggestion!

On a flight where tickets are on open sale, it's not exactly outragrous to expect that you may end up sitting next to a man you don't know. If you don't like that, it's up to you to actively do something about it, not expect everyone else to pander to you. Don't like it, get off the flight.
    Surely they wouldn't have been sitting in economy class. So if they were in First then it shouldn't matter because of adequate space between seats.
    On a flight where tickets are on open sale, it's not exactly outragrous to expect that you may end up sitting next to a man you don't know. If you don't like that, it's up to you to actively do something about it, not expect everyone else to pander to you. Don't like it, get off the flight.

Well they actively asked if they could move seats.

To be fair people we're only hearing one side - people can and do get funny on planes though. One time a man was sitting next to an empty seat, and there was another empty seat on the other side of the aisle. This lady with her child asked if he would mind moving so they could sit together and he started faffing about saying he'd paid for the seat etc.

Then a mini argument kicked off and someone else said he could have their window seat if he let the woman have his seat and everyone clapped lol.

I don't think it's beyond unreasonable if for cultural reasons (which I assume it is) you don't want to sit next to someone of a different gender. And I don't think its unreasonable for the flight attendants to try to accommodate that requirement (fudging about the spare seats). However, if there is no other choice, then it is unreasonable to demand other passengers move. But then again, like in my example, does moving hurt anyone?

Could have been solved diplomatically and quickly with a bit of understanding I think, rather than the typical 'computer says no' response people get from all manner of customer service reps these days. (But in my experience flight attendants are actually quite good :))
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Well they actively asked if they could move seats.
    Yeah, after they got on the plane and everyone was seated.

Interestingly, it seems that people don't automatically respect someone's religious beliefs without an explination, which is only a good thing in my opinion. If someone got on and asked you to move, you'd naturally ask them why. If the answer was "I don't want to sit next to him because he's black" you tell them to fuck off, rightly so. Same with "I don't want to sit next to him, he's a man" in my opinion. If it's that important to you, you'll arrange it during booking.
    It would be after they were seated. If they didn't have fixed seating, the women could have arranged for themselves to sit next to other women but there isn't that option.

I would also insist on moving if I were placed next to, or immediately in front of or behind anyone in sandals, by the way.

There is no way to arrange these things "during booking".

you buy the seat next to yourself as well :thumb:
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    One time a man was sitting next to an empty seat, and there was another empty seat on the other side of the aisle. This lady with her child asked if he would mind moving so they could sit together and he started faffing about saying he'd paid for the seat etc.

I might be wrong, but if the lady and child booked together, don't they get adjacent seats? That how it works when you're prebooking theatre seats.
    We were given supposedly "adjacent" seats last time we travelled but they were also across an aisle and we had a baby with us who didn't have a seat and was too old for a basonette.

Fortunately someone did agree to move to allow us to sit together so we could hold the baby across us. Even then it was difficult enough getting him comfortable to have a sleep.
    I also think that they were being little culturaly insensitive - sitting next to a man who isn't related to you is a massive no no for many muslim women not just rich ones.

As sitting next to one isn't in British culture, and it was a British airline. So, who is being culturally insensitive here?
    As sitting next to one isn't in British culture, and it was a British airline. So, who is being culturally insensitive here?

use the Qatari airline then which might do it if you're going to make a big who-ha

for example, if i dont want to sit next to a woman or black person etc i have no choice, unless i buy their seat as well
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Then they should have requested this beforehand or hired a private plane, seeing as they're so oil rich.
    I think it was incredibly selfish of them, despite their culture and I'm glad BA kicked them off the flight. They can't just expect people to move for their old fashioned traditions. If I was a passanger on that plane, I would have been fuming.

As would I.
    use the Qatari airline then which might do it if you're going to make a big who-ha

My point was, if you use a British Airline, then you should expect it to be run alongside British culture.
    My point was, if you use a British Airline, then you should expect it to be run alongside British culture.

Exactly.
    TBH - I wouldnt' make that much of a fuss but as a girl who has done quite a bit of traveling by myself I always feel a little weird and uncomfortable sitting next to a man i dont' know particually if its an overnight flight.

And its just as weird for bloke sitting next to strange women. Not all men are sex-crazed gropers ....
    I would much prefer that they had some kind of segregated seating option for loan women.

Sure - if single women are prepared to pay more. Segregating people because of their sex and travelling status can cause all sorts of problems in itself. Airlines will often have empty seats where there weren't enough single women to fill them ... and what if there were a lot of single women on one flight? Does that mean the men will be bumped off the flight to accomodate them? Silly idea. If you get groped, report the groper.

So how "sensitive" to you expect BA to go with accomodating "cultural differences"? There would be no end to peoples' individual 'cultural' quirks. You get on a plane, you expect to sit next to a stranger. Don't like it? Then fly with someone else or don't fly at all.
    Am I the only one to have seen first class areas on planes? You're not bloody near anyone! Even if the man next to her had wanted to talk to her he'd have to shout.
    budda wrote: »
    Am I the only one to have seen first class areas on planes? You're not bloody near anyone! Even if the man next to her had wanted to talk to her he'd have to shout.
    :yes:.
    budda wrote: »
    Am I the only one to have seen first class areas on planes?
    Yes. You bloody snob!

;)
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Yes. You bloody snob!

;)

One likes the finer things in life, is that so wrong?
    No, it's definitely not wrong. I have savoured business class on short-haul flights but sadly nothing better than premium economy on long haul. Next time I get taken with work to the US I've been promised Virgin Upper Class. Look forward to the onboard massage :D