Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

To move or not to move to Oxford

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I’m planning to move to oxford
Because I’m tired of the town I live in
I have no real friends
Just a bunch of random folks I hardly see

I have never embarked on such a mission before
This will be the first time I will be on my own as such
I feel somewhat afraid, anxious about the endeavour

I don’t know anyone in oxford
But I don’t see a difference with my situation now
Except for relative unfamiliarity of my destination

I have lived in oxford for 6 months over 4 years ago
Those I knew over there then have moved away

I want to go to oxford because I am familiar with the place
More so than anywhere else

I reckon I want to go to oxford more because I don’t like where I am now than because I have something going for me over there
I neither know where to live yet nor where to work
I will be going on a scouting mission soon for about five days to find a suitable place to live

Has anyone experienced this before?
Can anyone share a similar experience?
Sometimes I think its a good idea, other times I think not.

Comments

• Options
    Is this a poem?
  • Options
    Well I wouldn't go anytime soon, I hear its a bit soggy there ;) What have you got going for you there that you don't have now? If you're unsure of whether to move or not it's probably worth weighing up the pros and cons of staying where you are now over moving.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    Is this a poem?
    haha no. just didnt have time to turn them into paragraphs
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't go anytime soon, I hear its a bit soggy there ;) What have you got going for you there that you don't have now? If you're unsure of whether to move or not it's probably worth weighing up the pros and cons of staying where you are now over moving.
    yeah. im going to do that tonight. it will be one long laundry list though. if you like i could post it up here when im finish.
  • Options
    I grew up around Oxford, then I moved to Huddersfield for university. The fact that I still live in Yorkshire should speak volumes!

Oxford, I'm sure, is a beautiful city to visit or even spend a bit of time. In the long run though, I find it to be a city of limited potential, social divides and a shockingly bad nightlife scene for such a prominent university city!
  • Options
    what are you looking for? post that laundry list. wanting to up sticks and move suggets you are looking for something interesting to take your fancy and give you some direction. What direction do you want to go in?
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    Is this a poem?

That's the first thing i thought of :D
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    That's the first thing i thought of :D

:lol:

Same here.

I wouldnt move to Oxford, far to wet at the moment. :no:
  • Options
    I?m planning to move to oxford
    Because I?m tired of the town I
    live in

[haiku/]
  • Options
    Can you afford to live there? It's expensive.
  • Options
    lol, probably.
    your turn then ;)
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    what are you looking for? post that laundry list. wanting to up sticks and move suggets you are looking for something interesting to take your fancy and give you some direction. What direction do you want to go in?
    this is only part one of my ANALysis of the situation. not much but its only about where i live now. ill post the stuff about oxford later. [pos] means postive points, [neg] means negative. (for those that might need help). cheers.

Why do I want to leave?

[neg] first, I have no friends. [pos] but I know many people who could be considered as acquaintances. People that work in stores, bars, cafes that I go to. People I know from college who at most would only have fleeting small talk with. [neg] none of whom I would have ?hung out? with.

[neg] I have no work. My work experience is negligible. I have no degree because I dropped out in my final year. [pos] the best I have is a certificate in arts because I managed to complete two years. [neg] Probably the most likely job I could get is at a supermarket [pos] which I dont mind so long as it pays [neg] however I wouldn?t like it if people I knew from college sees me working at a supermarket.

What do I have to stay for?

[pos] im helping/managing an artistsinger. Someones music, talent, creativity I actually believe in. [neg] however the relationship is only more as business associates than good friend, which I completely understand is the nature of our role. [neg] hence I still have no friends and no source of income, because im not asking for anything in return for managing. I have principles and I only want to manage someone because I believe in their talent, ethos and potential, not because I could earn money from them (at least not now, and not with this singer)

[pos] I participate in a philosophy discussion group which is the only think I look forward to once a week; the only time I get to express my wisdom and intellect; the only place I interact with like minded others. [neg] however mostly everyone is my senior, everyone is over 50. don?t get me wrong, we drink at the pub but that?s about it.
  • Options
    When I look at your list, I think that if you leave where you are now you lose two pos and still don't change the two negs. With that logic, I say- don't go.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    When I look at your list, I think that if you leave where you are now you lose two pos and still don't change the two negs. With that logic, I say- don't go.

i see. i thought about that also.

first regarding the 'no friends' issue, when i go to oxford at least i will have a proper excuse why i dont have anyone, that is im new to the city. i wont have the stigma of not having any friends despite living in a place for so long, like 'after all these years why havent you made any friend'. plus i can apply what ive learned from the past.

about the work thing, i can work at a supermarket without anyone i know recognising me. so ill be starting off from scratch. build myself from the bottom up.

about the the philosophy group. i could join the local group there. if there isnt any, i could start my own. make an sort of off-shoot of the group im involved with now. i think the group would like the idea of expanding the franchise and ethos (not that its a business. its very grass roots and not for profit. its just a place to get the community to discuss issues they want to discuss.). plus perhaps therell probably more intellectuals there that could enjoy such a group.

about the artist. she doesnt know yet of my desire to move away. i dont know how shell take it in. but to weigh it out, if i stay and help her, it could be fun and perhap even satisfying once we get the music and the gigs going, yet ultimately i will still be alone, lonely and jobless. i can give a rough strategy of what she needs to do. plus we can still keep contact through email if she gets stuck. plus she has her mates to support her already and would likely find someone else to help/manage her now that i set up the structures she needs and the 'gameplan' to get in the scene.

oxford is indeed an expensive place. and the night life is small compared to here. but perhaps im willing to make those sacrifices. plus theres more paths to take long walks and i could try my hand at fishing. its also closer to london which is where i also want to move to (once im able to prop my self up and regain my confidence). i see it as a sort of stepping stone. (if not oxford, london is my second choice). another reason why oxford is that im already familiar with the city. i know somewhat where not to live.

thats it for now. im still uncertain of course which is why im writing here. perhaps its just the uncertainty when making a big decision. i do plan to go there for about a week just to see how the place is like again, to get a feel for it, plus to scout where to live. if ill go, within two months ill move there. thanks for readin this novel.
  • Options
    Mr. 2013, how old are you and where are you from? Are you into clubbing? If you are, then check out www.dontstayin.com .. brilliant community on there and meet-ups are guaranteed. Best promotor up my way (Stafford/Brummyland) is Sundissential, www.ssentialworld.com - the site that I use most to meet people.

Bristol is also a good clubbing city. Bath (next to Bristol) is very nice but too remote if you're a clubber :-)