Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Dinner Party

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got friends coming round Saturday night and I would really like to do a proper 3 course dinner... problem is I have no idea what to cook!

I am tempted to go down the M&S route but I think thats a bit of a cop-out and if I could do it all myself then that would be preferable.

I'm not a bad cook but do need pretty definite recipes to follow otherwise I get quite lost (until I know a dish well and then I can add flair!)

My only real specifications are that the menu can't contain fish and has to be reasonably easy/stress free to put together.

Any ideas... please?! :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Rissotto Carbonara with black pudding

Chicken in a tarragon, mushroom and white wine sauce with veg/pasta, beef or mushroom Stroganoff (mushroom Stroganoff is currently my favourite dish) and tagliatelle.

Something chocolatey, mousse or Delia's Return to the Black Forest (if you're ok with baking) or maybe a strawberry Granita as it's quite light for finishing off 3 courses.
    Always choose meals you can pretty much prepare ahead unless your table is in the kitchen so you can chat to your guests

For started I do informal dips (guacamole, sour cream etc with things to dip) or nibbles. Either than or some sort of cold salad in martini glasses looks funky and you can whip them out of the fridge

Main - depends on what everyone who is coming will like! I like to go for cannelloni or other baked pasta, or a nice chunky casserole that will happily sit cooking by itself. My piece de risistance (sp lol) is puff pastry parcels. I use asparagus and mushroom inside but they work brilliantly with fish, and I'm sure anything else you want to put in. I make the sauce out of tinned campbells asparagus or mushroom soup and add herbs, mustard or whatever else I have lying around. They usually end up looking something like this http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/asparagus-feuilletes,1440,RC.html
    Serve with potatoes and veggies. Get those chopped and steam in bag veg if you don't want to be fannying around while your guests are there

For pudding I'm dying to try this
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3651/strawberry-and-white-chocolate-cheesecake.jsp
    It looks delicious and unbelievably easy. Arrange some strawberries on the top and it'll look fab :thumb:
    Thanks for the ideas guys... i've been ill with a cold this week which has put me right off food - i must admit I am not feeling at all inspired...
    Splodgey wrote: »

I am tempted to go down the M&S route but I think thats a bit of a cop-out and if I could do it all myself then that would be preferable.

It's only a cope out if you CAN actually cook food that taste better then M&S - otherwise get the M&S stuff and keep everyone happy :)
    You have a very valid point DG :)

Don't need to buy stuff till tomorrow so will make a decision tonight :)
    Well let us know what you do and how it goes :)
    Argh well it's 2.20... went for plan B, M&S, but couldn't find anything suitable at all!!

Looks like im going to have to do some serious thinking and then go to the supermarket...

or just get a takeaway :)
    Well... just to update...

I finally settled on Tesco's Finest Lamb Shanks and made some sweet potato mash to go with it... absolutely delicious!

Kind of a cop-out but in my uninspired state I didn't think it was too bad :)
    sounds nice, I'da been a happy dinner guest.