Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Summer signings: how well has your team done?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
New manager for AFC Wimbledon (Terry Brown, veteran of various Conference and non-league teams) and a few new lads of various ages and skills. By far the highest profile signing must be Marcus Gayle, Jamaican international and old Wimbledon FC legend. Not exactly a lad though at 37 but hopefully an inspiration to the others.

How good have your team's signings been then?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I reckon you'll overtake MK Dons in less than 10 years the way I see things.

Our summer has been great, Torres, Benayoun and Babel the pick of the bunch. Should set us up well for a top two finish.
  • Options
    Cardiff have signed a number of players:

Tony Capaldi - Plymouth Argyle FC - Free
    Trevor Sinclair - Unattached - Free
    Michael Oakes - Wolverhampton Wanderers - Free
    Gavin Rae - Unattached - Free
    Peter Whittingham - Aston Villa FC - £750k
    Robbie Fowler - Liverpool FC - Free
    Steve MacLean - Sheffield Wednesday - Free

Fowler is obviously the big name after we sold Chopra to Sunderland for 5 million. We need a new goalkeeper though.
  • Options
    Hmmm.

Lost our best defender (Anderson) to Sunderland for £1 million. Last year of his contract, 28 years old, no real experience above SPL level - fair enough price. Keep an eye out, he'll do well in the Premiership I think.

Signed McNamara from Wolves though, which I think is a masterstroke. Experienced international player, versatile and he'll help the European campaign along no end. Looking forward to seeing him this season.

Also signed some Dutch winger who's got a decent pedigree and has done well in pre-season. And some guy Kurrant from Charlton.

I'm beyond pissed off that we've signed Derek Young though. The guy was absolute gash for us last time round, he's scored like 11 goals in the last 7 seasons from his clubs which isn't good enough for a striker at any level. He was released by Partick Thistle last season and if he isn't good enough for them then he isn't good enough for Aberdeen. The guy is absolute murder, we got him on a free and I still say he's a waste of money. If he's been signed as a replacement for an outgoing striker then I'm supporting Hibs from now on.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    Gavin Rae - Unattached - Free

Got married the same day as my brother, sound as fuck bloke considering he's ex Rangers. Good wee player too, always injured though.

Speaking of injury prone players, I've heard rumours we're looking at signing McNaughton again...
  • Options
    Bit crap really.

England international, and best player for them at World Cup, and a couple of really exciting younger players. Apparently we're also looking at some Argentinian.

As for the Gills, usual wheeling and dealing although they looked okay last week...
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Got married the same day as my brother, sound as fuck bloke considering he's ex Rangers. Good wee player too, always injured though.

Speaking of injury prone players, I've heard rumours we're looking at signing McNaughton again...

I cant see that happening. McNaughton was solid for us last season. I think in injury crisis periods he has played across all of the back line.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Well, frankly.

None.

We cant even pay the 4 or so players we have at the moment. Our squad is actually 18, of which half I've actually heard of.
  • Options
    I cant see that happening. McNaughton was solid for us last season. I think in injury crisis periods he has played across all of the back line.

Aye, he's versatile right enough. Originally a winger so he had a really bad habit of bombing out of position without thinking, prompting cries of "OH FOR FUCKS SAKE MCNAUGHTON!" but he was just learning I suppose.

Should hopefully be pushing for Scotland caps this season.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Our summer has been great, Torres, Benayoun and Babel the pick of the bunch. Should set us up well for a top two finish.

:lol: Funny. Those three should make up the 20 points difference.

I've been impressed with the way Sven's done business so far. I reckon he's been a pretty big factor in attracting players so far, for which just money by itself isn't everything. We've bought some pretty handy players by the looks of things:

Rolando Bianchi: £8.8m, 18 goals in Serie A last season, aged 24, reportedly chose us over Juventus. Looks like a van Nistelrooy type of striker.

Martin Petrov: £4.7m, absolute bargain imo. Beat Berbatov to the Bulgarian player of the year last season. Left winger, quick, brilliant crossing, shooting and free kicks by the looks of things. And Sunderland paid £5m for Kieron Richardson. :lol:

Gelson Fernandes: £4m, centre-mid, 20 years old. Best young talent in Switzerland, apparently. Make of that what you will.

Geovanni: Free, 27 years old, creative right midfielder, just what we've been missing. But only a one year contract?

Apparently Elano's signing tomorrow, but then that's the millionth time I've heard that rumour in the last month or so, with a different player each time. And so far, only one of our signings has been mentioned before the club announced it.

We still need 5 or 6 new players to compete though. We lost Barton and Distin, and we had a tiny squad to start with (and you never know whether foreign players will settle, so it's good to have options). Could do with an experienced centre back to partner Dunne, the central midfield still looks a bit lightweight, we have no cover on the wings, and another quality striker wouldn't go amiss either. But then again, with a new manager, you sometimes find that you had certain players all along, they just didn't play well under the previous manager's system. I'm feeling optimistic, but I reckon anything in the top half would be a decent first season for Sven. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.
  • Options
    Jobi Macanuff £1m is from Crystal Palace.

We missed out on bringing legend, Heidar Helguson back, hopefully Watford can pick up a left back and a striker over the summer
  • Options
    Typical Wenger signings really.

Lehmann is going to have a fight to keep #1 as Fabianski has looked pretty useful in preseason.

Sagna seems much more of a defender than Eboue so although I was questioning buying him at the time, he will make right-back his own.

Eduardo has fitted into the team perfectly so far and I've liked what I've seen.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Randall, Traore, J. Hoyte and Fran Merida tbh.
  • Options
    :lol: Funny. Those three should make up the 20 points difference.

They'll give us an extra dimmension going forward. That was Liverpool's problem last season, and most of the past few seasons. That and our away record, sort that out and we're flying. Liverpool only conceeded 6 goals at Anfield in the league last season, must be some sort of record.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    They'll give us an extra dimmension going forward. That was Liverpool's problem last season, and most of the past few seasons. That and our away record, sort that out and we're flying. Liverpool only conceeded 6 goals at Anfield in the league last season, must be some sort of record.

You're not the only ones with a record. We only scored about 6 goals at home last season.
  • Options
    Braineater wrote: »
    Typical Wenger signings really.

Lehmann is going to have a fight to keep #1 as Fabianski has looked pretty useful in preseason.

Sagna seems much more of a defender than Eboue so although I was questioning buying him at the time, he will make right-back his own.

Eduardo has fitted into the team perfectly so far and I've liked what I've seen.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Randall, Traore, J. Hoyte and Fran Merida tbh.

Tbh I'm not happy with the signing of Fabianski, with all the GK's in the world we could have signed, and even with Wengers pedigree in bringing through talent, we get this polish youngster, not happy at all.

Eduardo, Excited about seeing him in the league this season but again, no where near the calibre of Henry and to be very honest losing Henry i think we should have signed two strikers not one, particularly as we also lost Alliadiere as well.

Like you I'm against the Sagna signing because again I think we don't need another defender let alone right back. We need, especially now Ljungberg as gone, a Midfielder and at that one who knows how to score, set up play and contribute to the team as a whole. I read recently Wenger said he might not even bother filling the gap left by Ljungberg, i think that proves Freddies point about no ambition quite honestly.

Hoyte, seen him play before I don't think we'll see much of him outside of the league games tbh.

Overall I'm a rather annoyed Arsenal fan so far this season. Signed two players we didn't need IMHO, only one striker when we should have brought in two and we might not even be filling Ljungbergs boots.

and yet, and most people will agree, knowing The Gunners they will still finish inside the top 6
  • Options
    Well, so far:

- Sold Gareth Bale to Spurs. Suppose he was always going to go, especially as we didn't go up. Just a question of who and how much.
    - Martin Cranie decides he'd rather play in the Skate reserves than for us in the 1st team. His loss.
    - Chris Baird has gone to Fulham for £3m. Perhaps again a case of who and how much

On the plus side,

- Signed Marek Saganowski permanently from Troyes. 15 goals in 20 games or so for us means that this was a no-brainer.
    - Kept Rasiak
    - Got Gregory Vignal on loan. This kid's meant to be pretty good. Having played for Rangers and Liverpool, he can't be all that bad.

Basically we need a couple of quality defenders otherwise we're in danger of hamstringing our very awesome strike force by haemorraging goals.
  • Options
    Well, so far:

- Sold Gareth Bale to Spurs. Suppose he was always going to go, especially as we didn't go up. Just a question of who and how much.
    - Martin Cranie decides he'd rather play in the Skate reserves than for us in the 1st team. His loss.
    - Chris Baird has gone to Fulham for £3m. Perhaps again a case of who and how much

On the plus side,

- Signed Marek Saganowski permanently from Troyes. 15 goals in 20 games or so for us means that this was a no-brainer.
    - Kept Rasiak
    - Got Gregory Vignal on loan. This kid's meant to be pretty good. Having played for Rangers and Liverpool, he can't be all that bad.

Basically we need a couple of quality defenders otherwise we're in danger of hamstringing our very awesome strike force by haemorraging goals.

Thank fuck you missed out on Gordon. You're loss is our gain thankfully. I just hope we can hang on to him.
  • Options
    Thank fuck you missed out on Gordon. You're loss is our gain thankfully. I just hope we can hang on to him.

Without doubt our finest manager in a generation. Once he left it all went pear-shaped. Real shame as well.
  • Options
    Without doubt our finest manager in a generation. Once he left it all went pear-shaped. Real shame as well.

Eh? I was talking about Craig Gordon :p
  • Options
    Eh? I was talking about Craig Gordon :p

Were you fuck, we all know you were on about Gordon Strachan you Tim bastard.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Were you fuck, we all know you were on about Gordon Strachan you Tim bastard.

:lol:
  • Options
    I just remembered he was a Southampton fan, and not a Sunderland fan. So it probably doesn't make any sense.
  • Options
    Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough, free)
    Joey Barton (Manchester City, 5.8m)
    David Rozehnal (Paris Saint Germain, 2.9m)
    Geremi (Chelsea, free)

Viduka - Decent forward, we'll probably get two years of top level football out of him. Prolific and he links up well with his team mates.

Barton - He's a good midfielder but I'm slightly concerned about his temprament when he's not on the pitch. Don't want another Bowyer.

Rozehnal - PSG's player of the year, 34 caps for the Czech Republic. Haven't see anything of him though but he can't be any worse than some of the defenders we've had in the past couple of years.

Geremi - Looks set to be a great right back (that's if we don't sign any more, a good right midfielder if we do).

I'm also glad to see that the ridiculous transfer fees seem to have stopped.

Pleased with the transfers so far, we need a left back and extra cover for defence though.
  • Options
    I just remembered he was a Southampton fan, and not a Sunderland fan. So it probably doesn't make any sense.

Well those two do almost have the same kit.
  • Options
    Scott. wrote: »
    Barton - He's a good midfielder but I'm slightly concerned about his temprament when he's not on the pitch. Don't want another Bowyer.

Don't worry, it could be a while before you find out. :lol:

Our signings are getting better and better. Two defenders, plus the third best playmaker in Brazil. And considering the first two are Kaka and Ronaldinho, that's nothing to scoff at.
  • Options
    Don't worry, it could be a while before you find out. :lol:

Our signings are getting better and better. Two defenders, plus the third best playmaker in Brazil. And considering the first two are Kaka and Ronaldinho, that's nothing to scoff at.

But how long will it take them to gel as a team?
  • Options
    But how long will it take them to gel as a team?

I dunno, ask Spurs or Chelsea. Can't be any worse than last season.
  • Options
    City have signed Bojinov. (sp)
  • Options
    Looks like ManYoo have got Tevez...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6922733.stm
  • Options
    Looks like ManYoo have got Tevez...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6922733.stm

and sold Smith to Newcastle for £6m.

very satisfied with our transfer business so far. the only thing i'm not entirely happy about is the sale of rossi to villareal for £6.5m. i wanted to see him get his chance after his good loan spell at parma. if the buy-back clause in the deal is true then that makes up for it i suppose.

the sale of richardson has been a long time coming and with £5.5m recouped, we're laughing. like rossi, that sale is pure profit as neither player cost us anything (Rossi had a small compensation fee of £500,000 or something).

all that's left now is the likely sale of heinze for around £7m.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Viduka and Smith up front for the Toon will be a good combo.