Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

need advice regarding an eviction

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hello. i need someones advice.

my friend was told be his landlord that he had one week to vacate his house. the reason was that for the two months hes been there he has only cleaned once. i understand that he should be cleaning which is what i told him. we have lived before and he isnt messy at all and even more hygienic than myself. he said that the reason he didnt clean was that most of the mess doesnt belong to him which i believe because ive seen the state of the kitchen and judging from how we were when we shared a flat he isnt like that. the minimum stay in the contract was three months. now the landlords son lives in the same flat as well as the sons girlfriend. and theyre all very close and happy. we believe that the girlfriend was the one who suggested to the landlord to evict my friend. i understand that he shouldve cleaned anyway and hell be staying at mine while he searches for another place but this is quite disruptive for him.

my question is, is the landlord allowed to do this? thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Legally, the landlord has to give your friend two month's notice, not one week. Landlord is in the wrong. Various crimes can prompt an earlier eviction, but cleaning is not one of them :-)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You need to get your friend to give Shelter a call on 0808 800 4444, there are a lot of variables as to whether your friend can be evicted and you haven't given enough information to give accurate advice.