Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Recycling old phones for charity

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just wondering which charities offer phone recycling to raise money? I'm thinking about suggesting it to my school because we're really into charity.

Comments

• Options
    What EXACTLY is recycling a phone anyway?

if it means actually taking it apart the using the pieces for something then think it's not every environmentally friendly ... unless the phone don't work .. but if it does work fine then the best recycling method is to give it to someone that can't afford a phone.

Doesn't even have to be in the UK.
  • Options
    I don't know, but i've been hearing it alot recently. Seems like a good idea as kids at school are always getting new phones. You can get mobiles for dead cheap now anyway so I don't know anyone who can't afford one.
  • Options
    Im pretty sure thesite did some phone recylcing thing a while back, im sure someone else will be able to provide a link seeing as i cba to search for it
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    but if it does work fine then the best recycling method is to give it to someone that can't afford a phone.

I've heard of alot of places doing that. Especially electronic stores or phone stores, they'll have a bin you can just toss them in. Since you don't need credit, a contract or even a sim to dial an emergency number, they are given to people who can't afford a phone so that they would still be able to contact an emergency service in such a situation. A good idea, in my opinion.
  • Options
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
  • Options
    -kenny- wrote: »
    I think the phones are taken and are refurbished to be sold in poorer countries that are only up and coming in the mobile world.

I've been to both Africa and India and they have phones just as good as we have here for the most part and their calls and SMS charges are a fraction of the price we pay BUT it's still a lot compared to what they earn.

When I was on Holiday in Feb, the security guard asked me if I had an old mobile phone I wanted to give away ..

Unfortunately I only had my own mobile - but even if you do consider giving them to them not always sure it's best thing to do cos they still have to keep putting their own money every month on top-up's and from what the guy told me he earned it's like 3 days wages for them to top up their phones.
  • Options
    Samaritans are looking for Old Phones or Ink Cardridges, contact your local branch and they should be able to give you more information. You can find the number at http://www.samaritans.org

Good luck,

Daniel
  • Options
    ActionAid take old mobile phones as well as printer cartidges.
  • Options
    do it for thesite, its a very efficient service, i do all our works cartridges and phones every month or 2 and when you ring up they turn up next day and take it all away.

easy peasy!

go for it!
  • Options
    the charity i work for takes old mobile phones! hcpt (www.hcpt.org.uk) we use the money to take disadvantaged children to lourdes every year! there are over 200 hcpt groups in the uk. find your local group and give them your old mobile phone. or if you cant find them/dont have one. send it to my group. Group77 - Fife.

HCPT Group 77
    30 Falcon Drive
    Glenrothes
    Fife
    KY7 5HP

HCPT is always looking for new fundraising ideas as we are not that well known.

:(

Mike
  • Options
    Sainsburys will recycle your old phones for you as well as your old printer cartridges.
  • Options
    The Muscular Dystrophy Campaign recycle mobile phones and printer cartridges.

www.muscular-dystrophy.org/index.html
  • Options
    Can I just say a massive thanks to Jag who sent 2 mobiles to HCPT. you didnt leave any contact details though sir. if you message me your address at mikey-bud@hotmail.co.uk i can send you a little thank you note :)

There is no such thing as a small donation. anyhting is welcome. Thanks to all that donate! :)
  • Options
    You might want to take your contact details out of that; this site is public and posts frequently show up on Google.
  • Options
    A MASSIMO thank you to Sue, who has generously donated two mobile phones to HCPT 77. I cannot express my appreciation enough through this but here is this little dude -> :hyper:

Thankyou for the concern about the address being online but I do not stay here and the only thing I have received to date is generosity.

Mike :wave: