Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

ISA / Savings Accounts

littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
Well, basically, I have a bit of money stowed away in a very old account. I want to put it into a savings account and add to it each month. I am under the impression that ISAs give the best rate of interest (is this correct?).

I basically want to put my money into an account that will give me the best amount of interest and, probably, set up a DD so I can transfer money to it once a month. Is this possible with an ISA? It would probably be about £100-150 a month that I deposit.

What banks give good rates of interest and are good to bank with? Who should I entrust with my hard earned cash? Are there any that I should avoid at all costs? My current account and our joint savings account is with RBS, but I don't want to go with them for this if I can get a better deal elsewhere.

Is an ISA even the best way to go with this?

All advice would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know much about ISAs, but when I was looking for a savings account I wanted something that I could withdraw cash from quickly, yet had a high interest rate.

I eventually went with ING direct, who have a very good interest rate. They are an online thing only, and I know you can set up direct debits to pay in a certain amount every month.

It might be worth looking at http://www.moneysupermarket.com/savings/ and inputting your individual needs to see if you can find the best deal for you.
  • Options
    Sera wrote: »
    I don't know much about ISAs, but when I was looking for a savings account I wanted something that I could withdraw cash from quickly, yet had a high interest rate.

I eventually went with ING direct, who have a very good interest rate. They are an online thing only, and I know you can set up direct debits to pay in a certain amount every month.

It might be worth looking at http://www.moneysupermarket.com/savings/ and inputting your individual needs to see if you can find the best deal for you.

I'm not bothered about instant access - I'm wanting this as a savings account for the future (when we have kids, decide to move house again etc etc).

I had a look at moneysupermarket, but, tbh, I found it all quite confusing :( When they say 'maximum investment £3000' does that mean I can never have more than 3k in my account?

Jeez, I am awful with financial stuff :/
  • Options
    Go for an online savings ISA (you can open these instore) as you get a higher rate of interest on them.

My ISA gives me just over 5% :yes: I'm with Halifax.
  • Options
    I'll wait until someone more knowledgeable comes along, but in the meantime, here's INGdirect's ISA - http://www.ingdirect.co.uk/savings/our_savings/isa/
  • Options
    Go for an online savings ISA (you can open these instore) as you get a higher rate of interest on them.

My ISA gives me just over 5% :yes: I'm with Halifax.

Not critising, but 5% isn't great for an ISA, i think i get 5.65% and i know mine isn't one of the highest earning ones.

I think theres a few around 6.5% around, but of course it depends excatly what you're looking for in regards to having a branch near by etc...

(One thing to watch out for would be introductory bonuses, places offering ISAs at 6.5% but that including the 3month bonus of 1.5% before offering 5% for example)

I don't think you can set up a DD with an ISA, would it be possible for you to savings account with a decent interest rate, perhaps 4.5% to use for your general savings and setting up DDs, then have an ISA for your longer term savings, since ideally you don't want to draw money out of those (most places don't penalise you for doing so, but it is still counted against your maximum investment of 3k a year)

Alliance & Leicester (never used them) have a saving account at 6% which you can tie to you regular saving account which is 12% (which needs to be withdrawn after a year) so would only be beneficial for the first 6 months of deposits you make, since the interest accrued on the latter 6 months would be earning less in interest than it would in a normal savings account (sorry hard to get your head around especially with me trying to explain! but have a quick look on their site for details, although they won't point out that anything deposited in the final 6 months would be better off in many other savings accounts!)

But as for anything money related, have a good look around to make sure it will meet you needs, and then ask GWST the money genius around these parts :p
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    You can set up regular monthly deposits either by DD or standing order from your curent account. Normally the ISA/savings provider will sort this out when you open the account.

Arr yeah sorry of course, i was thinking she meant pay bills via DDs from her ISA, which i was under the impression you was unable to do (but not certain about that anyway)
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks for all that, GWST :)

Am going away for the weekend but next week I think I shall have a wee playabout. The amount that I am looking to put away each month and the lump sum that I am initially investing means that an ISA will probably be the best bet.

Is there any bank, in people's experience, that I should avoid like wildfire?
  • Options
    I think due to the size of the banks you will always find some people have terrible experiences with one bank, but someone else will have a fantastic experience with the same bank, perhaps even the same branch!

Personally though, I would highly recommend Nationwide, obviously make sure what they are offering is suitable for you, but whenever i've had to ring them for advice, or about a problem they have answered my query quickly and been most polite, they've only ever made one small mistake and as soon as it was brought to their attention apologised and quickly sorted it out for me. So a big :thumb: from me to them.

My girlfriend has horror stories regarding HSBC though, whenever she rings their help line she is on hold for several minutes, transfered a number of times and then is put through to somebody she can't understand, who as soon as she gives her account details to says they will not speak to her because on one occassion she quoted the wrong postcode.

She has been in the branch several times about this and they just tell her to ring the helpline, which she does to be told they refuse to talk to her!!!

And people claim you recieve two types of service from banks, 1. A "we dont really care all that much" if you have no money going in and are in debt or 2. "Yes Sir, No Sir, three bags full Sir" type of service if you have money going in and little being took out.
    In which case she would fall in to the second, and is still treated like shit!!

Needless to say she's moving banks soon, but i'm sure many people have had great experiences with HSBC and would recommend them as fondly as I would Nationwide.
  • Options
    Yere, HSBC have annoyed me a lot, mostly due to their student package which does not really apply to you! But just incase anyone else has a student account with them, they are "slightly changing" their Graduate package. And this means no interest free overdraft. So im off to Natwest.
    But then I wouldn't recommend Natwest either really as they are the most incompetent special people I have ever met. After being referred to their wonderfull phone service twice they asked me if I would like them to ring up my local branch to make them sort out my account problem and kick their ass.

So banks..... bad..... try and get the DD set up and never walk into the evil branch ever again!
  • Options
    I dont know about best banks, everyone personal experience is different. If you want long term investment an ISA is your best bet bet shop around. You can inly invest £3000 in any tax year, but this is going up to £3600 a year from April next year and all interest is paid tax free. DD/SO are quite easy to set up (I have them for my ISA and savings accounts) and you should be able to do it when you open the account.

However, AFAIK if the money you already have saved is more then £3000 and its not either another ISA or TESSA type account, I dont think you can transfer more then £3000 pounds in when you open the account. If you not sure ask at the bank. And if you need time to sort money out, most providers only need a £10 depoist to open the account.
  • Options
    Personally I've banked with HSBC, nat west, nationwide and ING and haven't had any issues with any of them. Just taken an account out with the coventry as well since I've now got an offset mortgage with them. The whole setting up process has been very easy and straight forward so no complaints there either.

I know a lot of people who've had issues with Lloyds TSB, although my mum never has, so as has been said there's always going to be some people who have terror stories about every bank.

Personally I wouldn't worry about setting up an account with any of them and would go for the best interest rates around. Be sure to check whether or not the RBS (or anywhere else you may have some money) have any special accounts for people who are already customers...sometimes you can get special interest rates for loyalty.

ING are probably who I'll be openning an ISA with though in a few months unless the market changes drastically.