Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tattoo Names

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How would you feel if you started dating someone who had an ex's name tattooed on them?

.. I don't think I'd like it very much .. :chin:

Comments

• Options
    has this happened to you?

i'd just think 'unlucky'
  • Options
    One of my friends is with a guy who had a tattoo of his ex's name on his arm. Didn't go down well. Like a lead balloon, in fact.

He's since had some quite extensive cover-up work done.

Why don't people learn? Getting a name tattoo is like the kiss of death for your relationship.
  • Options
    I'd think what a stupid thing to do it was them putting the name on in the first place... sort of dooms relationships I think.
  • Options
    Aye, need something more general like "My girlfriend is teh shit" on your arm. Saves all sorts of shit.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Aye, need something more general like "My girlfriend is teh shit" on your arm. Saves all sorts of shit.

:yes: :lol:
  • Options
    I'd really resent it being there. If they'd be high school sweet hearts then it's kind of understandable, but if he was just plain obsessed with a girl he'd been seeing for a few weeks and decided to tattoo her name, then I'd worry lol.
  • Options
    Tattoo names are in 99% of cases a bad idea. It would out off if a prosepctive boyfriend had one.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    has this happened to you?'

Naah but someone I was chatting to on MSN was seriously considering having the name "KEVIN" tattooed on her and I'm like so trying to tell her it aint a good idea

She already has her kids names tattooed on her but think that's OK cos your kids will always be your kids .. but not some fella she's been seeing a few weeks.
  • Options
    I'd feel sorry for him
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    She already has her kids names tattooed on her but think that's OK cos your kids will always be your kids ..

I'm not overly keen on that either, but I can see why people do it and its their body to do what they want.
  • Options
    I had a vague consideration of getting Rich's initials tattooed on me somewhere, but then I thought better of it. Maybe if we get married and I get to about 10 years with him, I might do it then. But not right now. Although I would never ever tattoo his actual name. Ever.

If someone I met had their ex's name tattooed on them I would get really jealous and it would destroy the relationship. I'm like that.
  • Options
    I guess it would depend on how long they had been split up and if he could have afforded to have it covered up/removed. I'd like to think I would give him some leway in the matter. But I would probably feel ackward if we were out with other people and it were all out there in the open for everybody to see and know its not me :p
    And if I ever asked about his future with the tattoo and he got all defensive like he wanted to keep it, that would be weird too.
  • Options
    When my ex cheated on me, he went out with the girl for like 9 months, and got her initials tattooed on his leg. needless to say their relationship didnt last forever either and he cheated on her, and got the initials covered up with two stars. Proper stupid idea partners names I think.
  • Options
    I'd think that she'd been in an intense relationship before and got the tattoo because it felt right at the time. It doesn't mean they're still infatuated or a bunny boiler or something.

It'd be odd though.
  • Options
    My boyfriend has got my name tattooed on his wrist. He'd been talking about getting it done for ages, but I thought it was just one of those things where you say you're going to do something but you have no intention of actually doing it.

Anyway when we got to the tattoo place I tried suggesting he got a heart or something instead "just in case" but he still insisted on getting my name :\

Don't get me wrong, at the minute I really think we might actually work forever or whatever, but knowing that if I break up with him he's going to be screwed does kind of make me feel trapped sometimes :\

It's not like he's easily going to find another "Simone" either LOL!

l_05d0cf6968aea923418fa7d135467648.jpg
  • Options
    I'd be a bit wary if someone felt the need to tattoo my name on themselves. A friend of mine had his girlfriends name tattooed accross his chest, just to prove how committed he was, She found it, went beserk and they split up oooh about 3 weeks later.

I wouldn't be jealous if someone had an ex's name tattooed on them- I'd just wonder why I was getting involved with the sort of muppet that does that kinda thing
  • Options
    I think if he's just had the letter "S" it would have looked good but still been meaningful and less obvious.
  • Options
    I know someone who had her ex husbands name on her along with something else and her new partner obviously wasn't happy and hates the things anyway so paid for her to have them removed.

I wouldn't be too happy either.
  • Options
    I have a mate whose boyfriend recently got her name tattooed in huge, swirly letters down the side of his body. It looks amazing, but I couldn't help but think - what if the relationship goes wrong? They're really good together, live together and seem very happy but you can never tell what's going to happen. If the worst did happen, it'd be very difficult to disguise a tattoo like that particularly due to its size and intricacy...and imagine getting together with a guy only to find another girl's name in massive letters permanently inked on him! I definitely wouldn't be happy. I guess it would depend on the guy and how things ended as to whether it'd put me off being with him though :chin:
  • Options
    I can honestly say it'd freak me out a little. On the one hand, it'd be nice to be with someone who'd shown the sort of commitment their partner, on the other, I'd always think of that person, whether I knew them or not, whenever I saw it, and constantly wonder if they're compairing me to them.

Plus I've seen my name on someone else's body and it was a pretty scary situation! Wasn't a tattoo luckily
  • Options
    the only name you can have on you is your kids :). FACT
  • Options
    i'd make sure they considered the option of laser surgery
  • Options
    You should get it done in Arabic or Chinese or something. Then if you do break up, you can just tell everyone that it means something pretentious like Peace or Love.