Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Breast fed in public,

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure if it's here or anything goes which is best but would like some opinions.

My partner breast feeds, Good ol'chap my boy is and gets fed when he wants, but it seems to me alot of people comment, give us weird looks and are downright disrespectful about it, tbh I can understand people saying go to the toilet but it's not nice when the toilets are scummy, dirty and horrible for my son to eat in there, would you eat in the toilets?

So are you one of these people that comment, give dirty looks or hate parents doing it?

For example on our flight the other day Laura was feeding during take off to help calm him, Flight attentdant gave us the worst possible look I could see imaginable,

as far as I am awaire it's illegal to ask anyone in scotland to stop, but im unsure about England or wales,

Comments

• Options
    I dont have a problem with people doing it all, I felt really uncomfortable doing it in public though because of the reactions of other people.
  • Options
    Don't have a problem with it in public, but then again if you were in a meeting with your solicitor whilst he was talking about something it's sometimes not the best time / place (although babies can't help when they're hungry).

But yea, people shouldn't give you dirty looks, but then again I'm not sure I agree with mothers who argue they should have everyone smiling with them when they're breastfeeding in a very posh / snazzy restaurant because it may spoil some of the atmosphere for some. (And the 'who cares' attitude is quite selfish)

But a plane is fine :) I only mean things where you make a big effort to go out (as have others who will be there) and then don't bother to be discrete about it. It's the same 'I'm a mother and I can do what I like' attitude that when in a queue or in town I get prams pushed into me because they're too important to go round or say 'excuse me'. (Of course I'm not referring to you or lolz hellfire :), just some of the ones in Leicester :grump: ). The other day I had that sick sinking feeling you get in your stomach when witnessing a mother literally dragging her 4 year old with a face that showed she was a few inches away from *actually* beating the living daylights out of him.
  • Options
    theyre bringing the same law in england very soon.
    i breastfeed too and if im in public when he needs feeding then i will do it. i havent had any bad comments. i have had a few people ay encouraging things though which has been lovely and supportive.
  • Options
    i have had a few people ay encouraging things though which has been lovely and supportive.
    I actually found that as offputting as the negative reactions sometimes.

I remember trying to feed Abbie in a Throntons Cafe once and I had 3 old grannies sitting grinning at me the whole time telling me how wonderful I was!
  • Options
    tbh i think i'd feel uncomfortable about getting my tits out in public either to breastfeed or otherwise, though i don't have a kid.
    i wouldn't mind anyone else doing it - each to their own. its only natural when all said and done.
  • Options
    i never had anyone being over the top, I just had one old dear tell me that i was doing the best thing i could possibly do for my baby, and I had someone else come up to me telling me that she breastfed her son for 14mths and he was now a strapping 6ft 4 lad, and that I should keep it up :)
    Ive had others just give me a smile and then carry on. I find it really nice actually and makes me feel more positive about doing it.

As for getting your tits out in public, its never really like that. You cant really see anything most of the time when someone feeds. I choose my clothes carefully if im going out so that ill be able to feed discretely, more for my own comfort level than anything. You can never see any boob, but can often see my tummy when my top is pulled up a bit but thats about it.

As for breastfeeding on a plane, thats a really good idea for take off and landing as itll stop babies ears from popping.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Don't have a problem with it in public, but then again if you were in a meeting with your solicitor whilst he was talking about something it's sometimes not the best time / place (although babies can't help when they're hungry).

But yea, people shouldn't give you dirty looks, but then again I'm not sure I agree with mothers who argue they should have everyone smiling with them when they're breastfeeding in a very posh / snazzy restaurant because it may spoil some of the atmosphere for some. (And the 'who cares' attitude is quite selfish)

But a plane is fine :) I only mean things where you make a big effort to go out (as have others who will be there) and then don't bother to be discrete about it. It's the same 'I'm a mother and I can do what I like' attitude that when in a queue or in town I get prams pushed into me because they're too important to go round or say 'excuse me'. (Of course I'm not referring to you or lolz hellfire :), just some of the ones in Leicester :grump: ). The other day I had that sick sinking feeling you get in your stomach when witnessing a mother literally dragging her 4 year old with a face that showed she was a few inches away from *actually* beating the living daylights out of him.
    oh i agree, we go to a resteraunt she'll feed in baby changing if they have it, if not the toilets (as resteraunt toilets seem to be nicer)

but as if we're out shopping, she'd do it on the bench etc in the park,

Shyboy, i hate mothers like that too, don't worry ;)
  • Options
    "It's the most natural, beautiful thing in the world"

"Yeah I know, but there's a baby sucking on it." :D

Our restaurant has a certificate on the wall to say we're breastfeeding friendly. I've yet to actually see anyone breastfeeding. Not that I look out for it or anything, but I guess most people are pretty discreet about it. Another one of those bullshit reasons to take a dislike to something based on absolutely nothing if you ask me.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    tbh i think i'd feel uncomfortable about getting my tits out in public
    You dont "get your tits out" to breastfeed, a baby being nursed just looks like a baby having a cuddle with it's Mum.
  • Options
    if im in a restaurant id feed sitting where I was, or maybe try and sit in a quiet corner, mind you I wouldnt take a baby to certain restaraunts anyway because i wouldnt want to risk the baby screaming and ruining my and others expensive meals. I have eaten out plenty of times since ive had felix in various child friendly places and have fed discretely and noones batted an eyelid. I dont think anyone has noticed tbh.
    I wouldnt feed my baby in a public toilet on principle. Thats disgusting. I dont even like feeding in baby changing rooms as they usually stink of shit.

Most of the time the only people that notice are mothers whove done it themselves, and thats because they recognise how youre holding the baby, not because they can see any breast. For most people it just looks like youre cuddling baby on your lap.
  • Options
    its hardly exhibitionism. I mean how much can you really see?
    0710.jpg

0717m.jpg
  • Options
    I mean how much can you really see?

Not enough ffs.
  • Options
    So does the hassle mainly come from men or women and what age group is it normally from (if any specific group of people).

I don't have an issue with it... It's kinda endearing. I mean they're only breasts and that's what they're there for if you think about it. Are people somehow sexualising breastfeeding or something? Could it be a symptom of objectification/sexualising of the woman's body?

It's an interesting reaction and it's sad that some women are getting people saying stuff to them. I mean raising a kid can't be easy and when they gotta eat they gotta eat.

Not like it's unhygenic or anything.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Not enough ffs.

:lol:
    here ya go then

Lucy-Lawless-breastfeeding-.jpg
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    So are you one of these people that comment, give dirty looks or hate parents doing it?

Nope, people that get offended/outraged at things in general piss me off. Breast feeding in public is pretty much at the bottom of things to get offended over.
  • Options
    I don't have a problem with it, but i've never actually noticed myself.
  • Options
    Ive seen two people do it and both times I went the deeest scarlett red and tried to find something very interesting in the opposite corner of the room. But I think as a child / teenage male at the time anything to do with breasts bums or whatever (once I said fanny as in the name and went red) causes an embarressed reaction.
  • Options
    I think it's really nice to see it, I've seen women doing it a few times on trains or in cafes, and then I wouldn't have noticed if the baby hadn't done a really big burp :lol:
  • Options
    I've only seen women breastfeeding in public a handful of times in the UK, I think generally, there's quite a prudish attitude towards it. The same people would be less offended by the tit orgy in the mass media, but God forbid they're used for their intended purpose.
  • Options
    I have got no problem with it being done discreetly but this woman the other day had her tits proper out and it was mingin.
  • Options
    its hardly exhibitionism. I mean how much can you really see?

It looks more like the child is just having a cuddle/sleeping to me.
  • Options
    those pictures make me feel all broody. I loved breastfeeding, at home anyway, I can't remember but I don't think I did it in public.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    No trouble with it at all, I think people who object to this kind of thing should take their stupid ideas and put them up their butthole (oh dear, am I turning into Kermit? :nervous: ). There are too many women already who could breastfeed and are using bottles instead, no need to have the excuse of where they are added to the rest.
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with turning into me, I'm usually right:p

I think people who are offended at the sight of a nursing mother are mentally ill, and should be treated as such. A nice spot of ECT should do the trick.
  • Options
    Eastern standard time?

I think ECT would be better.
  • Options
    EST = Electrical Shock Therapy (or something like that)
  • Options
    electro convulsive therapy i thought it was.
    seems like theres more than one name for it.
  • Options
    Eastern standard time?

I think ECT would be better.

smartarse :p
  • Options
    I hardly notice it being done anyway but if I did I would just carry on with whatever I was doing. Its perfectly natural and should be donw wherever its needed. The people that get offended tend to be the ones that see nothing wrong with page 3 but cant possiblly see breasts used for their actual use.
  • Options
    If some lady wants to get her baps out in public, who am I to complain? I mean, I might be struck off the male register for kicking up a fuss?