Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

new driving proposals

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6904821.stm

Can here Radio 1 discussing it in the backgorund, just wondered what everybody thought.

Personally, I am open to the test age being raised to 18 and to there being a miniumum number of lessons, but the banning drivers from carrying passengers aged between 10 and 20 from 11pm to 5am for a year is crazy. It's not practical. And I thought the government was encouraging car sharing?

"Government figures show that one-third of road deaths involve a car driven by a person aged between 17 and 25, although this group accounts for just one in eight licence-holders." This is quite shocking though. I'm glad they're doing something, but I can't agree with all of it.

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Restrictions on what time of day you can drive and how many passenger you can depending on your age, makes more sense to me than simply raising the age at which you can pass.

It'll just mean more kids on low cc bikes - which are far more dangerous.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I can see the point on restricting the passengers, far too many of the accidents I hear about are the teenage (usually male) drivers with mates in their car late at night and they start showing off.
  • Options
    I can see the point on restricting the passengers, far too many of the accidents I hear about are the teenage (usually male) drivers with mates in their car late at night and they start showing off.

Yeah definitely, it's just not fair on those who aren't pricks and drive safely.
  • Options
    Although if we can keep the pricks from doing some stupid stuff then it does make life a little safer for us civilised human beings.

Personally I think much higher fines, massive CS orders and confiscating vehicles of all those prats who drive without tax/insurance/licenses would do a good job too though.
  • Options
    I agree with the changes... I passed at 17 but didnt start dirving until 19, and although I gained myself a nice speeding fine at that age, now that I am 23 I can see how much of an idiot I was.

Imagine how many people who arent so responsible or mature enough, that continue to be idiots with their cars?

Im involved with a cruising forum, and we used to meet regular in a retail car park, but it was the young (probably uninsured) idiots, unassociated with the group, that came in and did 'burn-outs' and 'doughnuts' that had the carpark closed to all public after a certain time. Nice.

I think the passing of the test for a licence should be harder, and re-assessed say, 2 years after youve first done it, and especially for people of pensionable age - as they can be just as bad! lol

People form bad habits after recieving their licence, and if you think you are such a good driver, then you wouldnt complain to having a resit to prove that fact.
  • Options
    Personally I think much higher fines, massive CS orders and confiscating vehicles of all those prats who drive without tax/insurance/licenses would do a good job too though.

We do that already, and it's having a huge impact. I've seized 14 vehicles for no tax and 2 for no licence in only a few months and I work in a "quiet" rural area. The numbers in the cities are far higher so i've heard.

I think there does need to be some amendment in the law, I certainly agree with raising the age, however I think it also needs to be raised for mopeds as well, they cause far more problems, being used by immature idiots to whizz up and down pavements e.t.c.
    As for alcohol, as most young drivers aren't even old enugh to drink it's not really that much of a problem. A far better idea would be to prevent people from owning a vehicle with anything more than a 1100cc engine for at least 1 year after their test, although this would have to be checked up on by the DVLA. There are talks of sorting out the registration problems with cars, matching them up electronically with your driver's licence so that would be quite easy to police.
  • Options
    I love your fairy world, but being too young to drink doesn't stop young drivers drink driving!

I'm also in favour of making tests harder, a fuller assessment of driving abilities on a greater variety of roads and a much lower allowance for minors. If you make that many slight mistakes when you're doing your utmost best for an exam then it's no surprise they do daft things unsupervised.
  • Options
    TBH I don't see the point of any change. Given the impact of individuals, what benefits will it bring?

Pain/Gain ratio needs to be applied. Like it should have been for speed cameras which have had little or no impact on the numder of deaths on the road...
  • Options
    I would definitely welcome the move. There is a wealth of evidence showing that young drivers driving at night are at such a high risk, and increasing the age/experience of drivers before releasing them on the road will be fantastic for minimizing risk too. I think it is Sweden where they've already got this system (with young drivers only being allowed to drive late at night if it is work related) and and it has worked wonders.
  • Options
    When are they going to bring this in then? Tbh spreading lessons over a year isn't practical - you need at least 1 a week to learn properly, that will be too expensive for alot of learners.
  • Options
    I'm in favour of a minimum amount of lessons, a minimum amount of time between first lesson and final test, and I don't agree that once you've passed your test at 17 then that's you for life.

A compulsory refresher course two or three years after you've passed, and another one when you hit old age sounds about right.
  • Options
    We have to do a 3 hr advanced driving assessment before being allowed to drive for work, or a work vehicle, and apparently it's surprising how many people fail them.
  • Options
    I'm learning to drive at the moment at 21 and so a lot of the proposals wouldn't include me. However I do think that the driving test is 'difficult' enough as it is...

Limiting anything after you've passed your test, imo, is a breach of free will. Surely passing your test means you're qualified to drive at night, with passengers?! If that's not the case, then what on earth is the driving test for?

The ramifications of failing another test 2-3 years after passing the original test could be horrendous - people need their cars to get to work, to live their lives.... what happens if they fail their test after 3 yrs of being a driver, or car owner? Their lives will be ruined.

Urgh, I don't like these new proposals at all.
  • Options
    If the driving test works, there is no need for a minimum no of lessons. I would have been pretty guttedand fairly shafted if I couldn't have driven at 17, so, from a personal angle, I think 'no' to raising the age. For the same reason as Ilora states, I think the retest would be dissasterous.

ETA: a compulsory refresher course after two years might be a better idea.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    katralla wrote: »
    I would have been pretty guttedand fairly shafted if I couldn't have driven at 17,

And so would I.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I am 17 on the 15th August, just about to send off for my provisional. I will be gutted if I can't take my test till I am 18. If its going to be that way then why have you being about to take lessons at 17 and then not take ur test till you are 18. Pointless I think. As for the kids in the car bit I also do not agree with, practically if I was to pick friends/family up from nursery/school I wouldn't be able to drive them in the afternoon. How will this affect youngish single mothers/fathers?

Pfftt, stupid rules
  • Options
    The ramifications of failing another test 2-3 years after passing the original test could be horrendous - people need their cars to get to work, to live their lives.... what happens if they fail their test after 3 yrs of being a driver, or car owner? Their lives will be ruined.

It won't be that bad... (and I know that because I'm not allowed to drive, ever)
  • Options
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    When are they going to bring this in then? Tbh spreading lessons over a year isn't practical - you need at least 1 a week to learn properly, that will be too expensive for alot of learners.

But surely if the lessons are spread over a year, then wouldn't it mean that you could practise certain things a little bit more that you're not that good at?
  • Options
  • Options
    No idea, but it's nothing that would affect me anyway.
  • Options
  • Options
    Am I not allowed an opinion just because it doesn't affect me, now? :rolleyes:
  • Options
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    It'll just mean more kids on low cc bikes - which are far more dangerous.

Indeed.
  • Options
    I think that the proposals are interesting, but there are others I would suggest. Firstly, the practical driving test is hopelessly weak at what it does. It is very difficult to get an impression of what someone's driving is like over 40 minutes. I personally believe the driving test should be extended to cover driving on dual carriageways and motorways, along with driving in freak weather conditions and during the night.

Before taking the test, I had driven in very poor weather conditions, including heavy rain and when the roads were icy. However, I had not driven at night. It was quite a learning curve doing that for the first time last week.

However, we must be very careful about this. Learning to drive, and then driving a car is horrendously expensive, as I am discovering. My driving instructor charged £22 per hour. I've tallied it up and I crammed in about 80 hours of driving lessons into three months. It was horrifically expensive - without help from my dad, I would never have been able to afford it. Once you have passed your tests, (theory costs £21, practical cost about £50, and these prices are going up in September!) you have to buy a car, pay road tax for it, get it insured, and then pay for the fuel. It adds up to thousands of pounds. If we make driving even more expensive, it's just going to mean even more people driving uninsured, untaxed, unsafe cars because they can't afford to go legit.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    But surely if the lessons are spread over a year, then wouldn't it mean that you could practise certain things a little bit more that you're not that good at?

The only practice i can get is my lessons. My mum can't take me out because it's a huge family car that's too big for me to drive. I do actually have a car ready and waiting but my dad won't take me out driving in it.
  • Options
    You don’t really learn to drive until you’ve passed anyway. By a fluke I passed first time, my instructor was stunned and I know better drivers who took four or five attempts. It’s with experience that people become better drivers, an hour a week with an instructor teaches the basics but not much more. Proposals make sense in theory but seem a bit difficult to enforce and tbh they will just make life unnecessarily difficult for young people trying to get around. (The ban relating to carrying passengers that is). Too many young people are involved in accidents and something probably needs to be done; greater penalties for careless/dangerous driving is all I can think of. Maybe a bit of education in schools, a few horrific car crash videos. Reminders of how expensive crashing is too would help! Get someone from a body repair shop in, if you’re third party and at fault any repairs will come out of your own pocket – and bodywork isnt cheap.
  • Options
    The new proposals seem full of good intentions but poorly thought-out.

No alchohol for "new drivers" in the first year - ridiculous. The message from that is that some alchohol becomes just fine and dandy on day 366, or 367 after a leap year. This entirely contradicts the overarching drink-drive ideals. Drink should be either banned across the board completely (yes please) or the laws just left as is.

No passengers between 10-20 "late at night". Hmm. Aside from the obvious enforcement question, given the lack of traffic cops and the fabulous success we can all see from the "no mobiles whilst driving" laws [sigh] how would this even work in practice? Clearly this is aimed and getting boy-racers to stop dicking about with their mates late at night, but the vague idea would also be applicable to a 30something mum with taking their kid home. Which one of those will get stopped? They would both be breaking that law.

The worst thing about it though is that is assumes that all new drivers have the faults of the few. I would venture that a good proportion of drivers in their first year are perfectly capable of carrying passengers, but because some pea-brained idiots drag down the demographic everyone gets the usefulness of their vehicle limited.

Better would be limiting the power of cars for newer drivers.
  • Options
    yes pricing young people off the road, it already happens with insurance which is fair on the whole, but with having to take more driving lessons? and then not being able to provide lifts even though you're able to drive?

the zero alcohol limit for 1st few years of a driving license is good as it puts you into a good habit