Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Mum gets kicked off plane because of chatty child...

124»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Some of you are really going on like the child was screaming her head off or something.
    rachie004 wrote: »
    And most people are going on like the article is gospel!

who knows.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    There is an easy solution to all the problems here - Discipline.

Twats on planes, whining children of planes - Throw the twats loud mouthing it or being disruptive OUT the plane. At 30,000 feet or more.

Children - Perhaps get parents to discipline half the spoilt brats about today. I must say, most children I know, knew, whatever - were not bad. Some I see, are terrible. Tantrums, strops, whatever - and the parents either don't do anything, or just can't cope.

I was lucky, I had good parents. Some parents can't cope with kids, honestly, shouldn't be allowed them, or taught how to discipline children properly. Some parents obviously didn't even want kids.

I just don't think anyone, child, adult, whatever, should have the right ro ruin a flight for loads of people.

Also, this article is most obviously not telling the whole story. The child MUST have done more to get this.
    FFS Gerbil - the child was 19 months and was hardly screaming and having a tartrum. :rolleyes:
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    There is an easy solution to all the problems here - Discipline.

Twats on planes, whining children of planes - Throw the twats loud mouthing it or being disruptive OUT the plane. At 30,000 feet or more.

Children - Perhaps get parents to discipline half the spoilt brats about today. I must say, most children I know, knew, whatever - were not bad. Some I see, are terrible. Tantrums, strops, whatever - and the parents either don't do anything, or just can't cope.

I was lucky, I had good parents. Some parents can't cope with kids, honestly, shouldn't be allowed them, or taught how to discipline children properly. Some parents obviously didn't even want kids.

I just don't think anyone, child, adult, whatever, should have the right ro ruin a flight for loads of people.

Also, this article is most obviously not telling the whole story. The child MUST have done more to get this.

Showing your Stalinist colours eh?
    gerbil, i do not believe for ONE SECOND that you never had a tantrum as a child.
    I'd be worried if a child never had a tantrum, I'd suspect they had some form of brain damage.
    I can tell there aren't a lot of parents in this thread.... disciplining a child is easier said than done as all parents know. You always get the childless types who have watched a couple episodes of Supernanny and think they have all the answers.

My son plays up a treat at times and due to his autism there isn't a lot you can do about it. He's also only 8 years old and probably not really enjoying your company either :yeees: . If you want to tut and stare then thats fine - but thats another minute of your life that you will never have back again!!
    I can tell there aren't a lot of parents in this thread.... disciplining a child is easier said than done as all parents know. You always get the childless types who have watched a couple episodes of Supernanny and think they have all the answers.

init!
    Sofie wrote: »
    FFS Gerbil - the child was 19 months and was hardly screaming and having a tartrum. :rolleyes:

So say the article. One takes the news as gospel eh? Like ANYONE would just throw a child of for saying "bye bye plane" alot.

Stalinist? If discipline is Stalinist count me in. Better that than the current yob trends.

Never had a tantrum? I know I cried on occasion, and sulked. I never threw myself on the floor kicking and screaming and shouting. I never cried or shouted to get my way. I also rarely slept as a child. So much so my parents called the doctor. In all fairness, my lack of doing much worried my parents. Guess I just couldn't be bothered with it. Much like now.

I just used to scowl and fold my arms and put up with it. It didn't amuse any teachers. Tantrums they could just call in other staff or the parentsand remove the child ;/ My reception class teacher hated me. Then again, I hated her too!
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Never had a tantrum? I know I cried on occasion, and sulked. I never threw myself on the floor kicking and screaming and shouting. I never cried or shouted to get my way.

:lol: sure
    :lol: sure

Ask my mother or her friends. After all, do you see many children doing so? Most I see are not - it's an exception to see a child doing so. Children may cry, be unhappy, and so forth - but how often do you see children having hissy fits in the street? Stroping about, kicking, screaming etc? Not often in my experience. And the parents are usually one of two extremes - some are brutal, and treat the kid like a problem - others give in too much or just don't know what to do. Most children, are well behaved.

One of my friends took the other approach as a child - just sleep all the time. :lol:
    yes, most children are well behaved- just not all of the time. Did your mother not worry that you were a bit slow, or brain damaged when you didn't start to have tantrums?
    tbh all kids have tantrums. Some not that often, but ALL do it sometimes, generally between the ages of 1 and 3 is when feistyness sets in.
    Obviously you dont encourage it or pander to it, but its totally normal and it doesnt mean someone is a shit parent.
    Tbh its only non-parents who think its down to "discipline" or that it wouldnt be a problem with their kids because they would nip it in the bud!!
    Theres also the fact that a lot of people have selective memory.
    My dad made snidey comments once when i went up with lenny cos he had a paddy one day. He said that I had never done that as a child and that it was "learned behaviour" (ie my fault) My mum reassured me that that was not the case and that i had been a normal child - paddys & all.
    funny how accounts differ.
    might also be a contact issue, my Dad worked abroad a lot while I was little so never really dealt with me on a full time basis, so he probably doesn't remember me having tantrums.
    my dad was stoned most of the time, so he probably just didnt notice
    I don't necessarily believe the child must have done more to deserve being evicted. There have been some surreal cases of passengers being kicked out of planes recently, from wearing the 'wrong' t-shirt to looking 'funny'.
    Nah, I reckon it's gotta be more than that. How much does it cost a plane company to turn round come back, then fly all their passengers to the destination again? They're not going to do it for no good reason imo.

Anyway, I couldn't care less about kids. I've always found trains to be much worse, but I just listen to music instead.
    They did worry about me as a child - I had the doctor called many times because I didn't do "alot" - I just drew in my books, read, and well - just sat there. I still love the very hungry catter[illar.

One of my mums friends thought I was a bit "slow". She said so to my mum.

I was a weird child. STill am to this day.

And as has been said - there is more to this story. No way they'd chuck a kid of the plane unless he was doing something to deserve it. I still disagree to taking young children on long haul flights - between the health risks an d the boredom and he pissingoff other people it ujst isn't worth it.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I still think that their problem was not that the kid was speaking all the time but what he was saying.
    I dont see how people can kicked off planes for taking young children on them. As people have said drunks would be worse. Or maybe even people who snore You cant ban people travelling by age.
    oh god, imagine having a long haul flight with someone snoring next to you :|
    or farting.
    oh god, imagine having a long haul flight with someone snoring next to you :|
    or farting.

Sounds like my Dad.
    oh dear, its such an inconvenience that we have to reproduce, why can't some company somewhere just invent something that makes babies silent from birth.

Baby Benadryl? I hope someone knocks that woman out.
    oh wtf?? I've got a 13 month old. Most little ones can't talk very well til they're 3 so yeh they get frustrated and they cry, so you cuddle them, give them toys/play, give them food/drink. They don't tend to scream for hours and how much of your life is actually spent on a plane? Its not like the plane/train IS your holiday and how many of you actually enjoy the journey generally?? They're as pissed off/or not pissed off by the whole thing as tons of adults.
    They don't tend to scream for hours and how much of your life is actually spent on a plane?

Ha ha, mine could- though thankfully she never has on any plane journeys (touch mother-fuckin' wood.) And, quite, it's not much of ones life to just shut up, take it on the chin, and accept that kids exist and can be a pain in the butt sometimes but it's all part of growing up. The phrase 'children should be seen and not heard' is out of fashion; it's a shame the sentimentality isn't.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Most of my life actually

and I find grown men to be more childish and annoying than babies!
    Knew you'd pipe up with that comment :p
    What makes you think you can "control" a child of that age? You can try to comfort them but you can't control them.

If you go to a public place and they are making a noise and disturbing people where they need to be quiet then you do usually have the option of grabbing them and taking them out of the door, but that was not the case here. The airline might have known she was taking a child on the flight although I'm not 100% sure about US internal flights. They should have better provision for infants. Whilst I do not think there should be adult-only flights, they could put the children around the same area of the plane (with their parents).

This, by the way, is what my son looked like at 19 months:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v20/earlpurple/puppy_says2.jpg
    What makes you think you can "control" a child of that age? You can try to comfort them but you can't control them.

Which is what a few people have being trying to say all along...