Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Mum gets kicked off plane because of chatty child...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    I don't consider kids being loud and having a good time 'bad behaviour' to be honest, I think it's just kids being kids, let them get on with it.

:yes: It's not as if she was chucking food around, was it?
    TBH I'd happily pay more just to have a plane without moaning arseholes who have forgotten that they were once kids too :p
    :lol:
    my_name wrote: »
    Well when kids run around screaming, yelling, hitting other perople and talking nonstop in resturants, malls and other enclosed public areas while their parents stand to the side and do absoutly nothing, its not just my problem. Its the problem of everybody else around. I'm not the only one that gets annoyed. As I wittnessed yesterday, in a small resturant with little brats doing the exact thing. Not only was my boyfriend and I annoyed, so was everybody else, to the point they asked the parents, who still did nothing, and when they left a collective sigh of relief came and annoyed comments about the little basterds. Its not one persons problem. When a child cannot behave appropiatly in public, its at the cost of others around and it is the parents fault for letting their child get so out of control that they ruin experiences for other people. Children may be loud and outgoing, but they need to be taught when its appropiate and when to keep their mouth shut and behave like human beings, not animals. Well behaved children are around, its not a horrifically uncommon or impossible thing for a child to act respectivly, no matter the age with exception of infants, in public.

I think it's precisely because of this attitude that kids play up in public. They know it gets them attention. France and Spain don't seem to have this problem.
    I'm not quite sure who I agree with on this. In part I agree that kids should be able to be kept under control after a certain age. But then I remember how my youngest sister was when she was small. My stepmum told me that when she was a bit younger she used to scream blue murder when they put her seatbelt on on the plane, no matter what was done. And my stepmum is a good parent (same can't *really* be said for my dad given that he's getting a bit past it now and going a bit soft, but whatever). And she did that purely because she DID NOT LIKE IT, and no matter how much she was told "no", she wouldn't stop. Naomi does understand no, but sometimes, no matter how much you try and discipline your kids, if they don't like something they aren't going to listen to you.

Although I think that Rachie is right, and perhaps this kid was being more disruptive than the story makes out. Or the flight attendant is a bit of a twat.
    the only time kids really piss me off on flights is when they are kicking/rocking the back of your chair behind you, and the parents do nothing. kids screaming, no problem just whack up the volume....i agree with cpt coathanger though, obviously there are extremes on both sides and we don't know the whole story here so bit of a pointless debate, i doubt they got chucked off just because the kid wouldn't be quiet, i have seen much worse behaviour tolerated on planes...
    TBH I'd happily pay more just to have a plane without moaning arseholes who have forgotten that they were once kids too :p

POTW :D
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    :yes:
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    How many people here would pay extra for adult only flights?

*puts hand up*

Oh god yes. I don't know WHY people take young Children on flights. Pisses me off - same with taking young kids to the cinema, they just annoy everyone. By all means, take 'em to zoos, beach, etc - but something like that? No.

Thank god none went to Cuba with me. 9 hours of annoying child? No thanks. Food poisoning from Virgin Shatlantic was enough, ta.

Children + Flight = Bad.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Oh god yes. I don't know WHY people take young Children on flights..

Because they want to go on a holiday, or maybe visit relatives in another country.

Same reason as anyone goes on a flight. :rolleyes:
    Perhaps their parents should leave them locked in a hotel room instead, so that planes can be kiddy free like restaurants?
    Maybe kids shouldn't be allowed out in public. :rolleyes:
    We all used to be kids at one point in our lives, you have to remember that.
    squeal wrote: »
    We all used to be kids at one point in our lives, you have to remember that.

Exactly. And alot of us were probbaly like the child mentioned in the article.
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Maybe kids shouldn't be allowed out in public. :rolleyes:

Sounds a good idea to me :thumb:
    katralla wrote: »
    Perhaps their parents should leave them locked in a hotel room instead, so that planes can be kiddy free like restaurants?
    Yes!
    safe as 'ouses!!
    katralla wrote: »

There's a very topical joke in very poor taste here...
    bite me
    The point is, Children most of the time don't LIKE long flights.

It's all excitement at first, then they often end up crying, whining, etc, pissing everyone off. It's irresponsible. The child hates the experience.

Children get bored easily, long haul flights, are, most of us pray, boring. If they are exciting, it means something has gone very wrong.

This case was too extreme if the truth is all we havebeen told, but perhaps the kid was kicking someones seat, throwing shit, or elsewhat we haven't been told.
    irresponsible? :lol:

What if someone wants to visit their parents in another country, show their child the world?

The way some people are talking here, is as if kids should just be locked up until all of a sudden they grow up into a well adjusted adult.
    Well it doesnt work like that im afraid. Children learn how to behave in situations by BEING in them.
    There are certain things people can do to make flights more bearable for children. If I was going long haul id try and pick a night flight so the child slept. For shorter flights it just takes a lot of thought to make sure the kid doesnt get too bored.
    Shorter flights, a gameboy or a coloring book or story book will do.

Longer flights are more difficult. Also, I just wouldn't want to expose a young child to the air on one of those long haul flights. Sometimes people can die from shit filtered round the cabin... let alone a young infant. Bring back smoking on planes. I'd rather leave smelly than infected.

And I am not saying lock 'em up until adulthood. I am just saying, pretty much under 8, don't go on long haul flights. After that, if they kick the seat, or get stroppy, then that's just the kid being a brat, and discipline is needed. So do chuck 'em off.

Show thier child the world? It isn't going to go anywhere... and at such a young age, the child won't remember most of it anyway. Short hops of an houror two, ok, the child can be kept occupied with that. Most of the time though, let's face it these days - half the parents take thier kids with them, because they don't want to cramp THIER lifestyle. And this disgusts me. Then they go out drinking. FFS... don't get rat arsed if you have children to care for. I've seen this, I wanted to hit those fuckers so hard... anyway. I wonder why some folk have kids.

I won't be taking my children on long-haul flights. Hell, by the time I have kids, hopefully no flight will be long haul anymore.
    what if a child's family live far away, should they not meet them until they're 8? How is it irresponsible to make a kid do something they don't like? Some kids scream when you try to put them in the bath- should they not be made to do this?
    Gerbil, if you had kids with someone from a far away country, I think youd quickly rethink your ideas.
    Noone wants their kids to b upset for a whole plane journey, and most kids wouldnt be. Its not gonna be torture for them, just a bit boring. Big deal. Its worth it in the end though.
    Gerbil, if you had kids with someone from a far away country, I think youd quickly rethink your ideas.
    Noone wants their kids to b upset for a whole plane journey, and most kids wouldnt be. Its not gonna be torture for them, just a bit boring. Big deal. Its worth it in the end though.

Indeed
    When I was 3 and my sister was 18 months we went off to Hong Kong, Japan and the USA but there weren't any problems - Tori slept in the skycot (at least, when the ground crew hadn't forgotten it had been requested) or on Mum's lap and occasionally we got a bit whingy and had to be calmed down with a story or something but I hardly think it was irresponsible of my parents.

Why should you stop having holidays, and stop visiting family (my dad's brother was in Tokyo) just because other people don't like children. I don't like noisy stag and hen groups on easyJet flights but I'd never ask the flight crew to have them sedated or removed.
    Because sometimes you get kids there too.

still, its a good and realistic compromise
    Actually, can we have a flight where my children don't have to be exposed to loud mouthed drunken adults?
    Are some people flying on totally silent planes or something where not even the engines make noise? :lol:

I'd much rather sit next to a chatty child than a whining adult. "Bye bye plane" vs the woman I sat next to on my flight back from Cape Town. "Oh I hate going back to England. Such horrible weather, the fruit and veg are so raw and tasteless. And these seats are awful, and it's so cramped in here! I hate flights. Especially overnight ones, I lose so much sleep. Then I have to go back to work. Do you manage to sleep on flights? I can't stand the food on here either. Did you enjoy your holiday? Cape Town is beautiful isn't it? Oh, I hate going back to England..."

Ad nauseam until I stuck my earphones in and took the sleeping pills :D
    go_away wrote: »
    Such horrible weather, the fruit and veg are so raw and tasteless.

She had a point though...
    Blagsta wrote: »
    She had a point though...

Well, maybe that's for another thread ;)