Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mum gets kicked off plane because of chatty child...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyway, I just saw this.

Mom and chatty toddler kicked off flight

Basically, this mum and her kid were on a flight to Oklahoma, and the 19 month old kept saying "bye bye plane" and wouldnt shut up. They turned the plane around and made her get off because of that...:eek2:

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I wouldnt wanna be on a long flight with that!
  • Options
    I'd rather have that then some old man loudly snoring beside me but i doubt he'd get kicked off for it.
  • Options
    I knew exactly what the flight attendant was thinking when they kicked them off the plane, "Bye bye baby!"
  • Options
    How many people here would pay extra for adult only flights?

*puts hand up*
  • Options
    Now why can't they do that in all public places.

Children should be seen, not heard :yes:
    And there are way to many parents that need to teach their children to behave. I don't blame the child, I blame the parents.

Though I disagree with the flight attendents request to medicate the child. I find that quite appaling.
  • Options
    thats fucking outrageous.
    You use public transport, then you expect other people to be on it.
    I dont get why so many people are totally intolerant of children.
  • Options
    Spot on! the little lad was hardly causing any trouble. I would've found it quite cute.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote: »
    And there are way to many parents that need to teach their children to behave. I don't blame the child, I blame the parents.

You should realise that children are naturally boisterous. If you've got a problem with kids being kids it's your problem, not anybody elses.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well when kids run around screaming, yelling, hitting other perople and talking nonstop in resturants, malls and other enclosed public areas while their parents stand to the side and do absoutly nothing, its not just my problem. Its the problem of everybody else around. I'm not the only one that gets annoyed. As I wittnessed yesterday, in a small resturant with little brats doing the exact thing. Not only was my boyfriend and I annoyed, so was everybody else, to the point they asked the parents, who still did nothing, and when they left a collective sigh of relief came and annoyed comments about the little basterds. Its not one persons problem. When a child cannot behave appropiatly in public, its at the cost of others around and it is the parents fault for letting their child get so out of control that they ruin experiences for other people. Children may be loud and outgoing, but they need to be taught when its appropiate and when to keep their mouth shut and behave like human beings, not animals. Well behaved children are around, its not a horrifically uncommon or impossible thing for a child to act respectivly, no matter the age with exception of infants, in public.
  • Options

*puts hand up*

so children are second class citizens?
  • Options
    Well when kids run around screaming, yelling, hitting other perople and talking nonstop in resturants, malls and other enclosed public areas while their parents stand to the side and do absoutly nothing, its not just my problem. Its the problem of everybody else around. I'm not the only one that gets annoyed. As I wittnessed yesterday, in a small resturant with little brats doing the exact thing. Not only was my boyfriend and I annoyed, so was everybody else, to the point they asked the parents, who still did nothing, and when they left a collective sigh of relief came and annoyed comments about the little basterds. Its not one persons problem. When a child cannot behave appropiatly in public, its at the cost of others around and it is the parents fault for letting their child get so out of control that they ruin experiences for other people. Children may be loud and outgoing, but they need to be taught when its appropiate and when to keep their mouth shut and behave like human beings, not animals. Well behaved children are around, its not a horrifically uncommon or impossible thing for a child to act respectivly, no matter the age with exception of infants, in public.

Complete and utter bollocks.
  • Options
    Why? How?
    When your meal is cut short and ruined because you have a child absoutly screaming bloody murder for half an hour or running up and down isles slapping other people and the parents don't even once say "shhh" you're completly fine with that? When many people go out to a palce to enjoy a night out and a child sits and crys because they can't get something from a quarter machine the entire time, nobody has a shitty night from that? When you have to sit for 2 straight hours at the DMV and a child talks, crys, screams and repeats nonstop for the entire 2 hours, you dont' think any of the hundred people crammed into that space get pissed off?
  • Options
    The little lad was saying bye to planes it's hardly a kid causing trouble.
  • Options
    It can be very annoying and nerve racking. What about people who don't like flying but their concentration is wrecked because a child continously repeats the same thing. If the childs and the mothers consideration is being looked at, why not the consideratino of the other people on the flight? Why is their well being more imoprtant than the others?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »

It [what my_name said] wasn't bollocks it was right on the money. Yes, kids will be kids, but kids should also be taught when to shut the fuck up, and it's a parent's job to do that, and know how to do it well.

Too many parents these days don't give a fuck about what their children do, or how they affect other people, probably because they themselves have the attitude that they only care about themselves, or probably because they simply can't control their kids, but either way it's poor parenting.

As for whether some kid talking on a plane is an example of bad parenting, who knows cos I wasn't there, but I have seen plenty of examples elsewhere.
  • Options

not really

there is a time and a place for kids to be boisterous

in other people's company, they should be taught to behave approprietly

i was a loud mouth when out with friends, in the garden and even at home, but if my mum and dad took me to a cafe, restaurant or the shops, I was made/taught to behave

i do however think that kicking a kid off the plane is a bit freakin harsh! after all, they paid their money!
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    I don't see that as a valid argument for not offloading someone, if you were on a flight and there was a group of drunk and disruptive passengers would you be perfectly happy for them to disrupt the flight and possibly endanger yours and everyone else's safety just because they paid their money?

I'm not relating it to this specific topic, but in general

a kid chatting away isnt really going to endanger anyones safety....

plus, adults know better....

the kid has probably not long found his voice and wanted to use it!
  • Options
    I sincerly don't believe the story

I find it *really* hard to believe that they are going to turn the aircraft around and offload a woman and child all because the baby was babbling.

If anything it'll be more that the baby was being disruptive and wouldn't remain seated/seat belt fastened while the mum made no attempt to restrain the child (I've seen it happen/been in that situation). I think that scenario is much more realistic and the story has been twisted, much in the same way the reports of easyjet having a decompression a couple weeks ago.

I just can't see it happening

I think your right Rachie. I doubt the child will have just being saying bye, bye plane. It costs a lot of money to divert a plane and delay the flight. The decission wont have been taken lightly. There is more than meets the eye.

On Sunday in the pub where I work, there were about 5 young children running riot around the pub and garden. These kids were jumping around, climbing on tables and flooding the toilets, while there parents sat drinking vodkas and cokes from 1pm til 8pm, in the process of pissing off all our other customers.

Thankfully the landlord has some sense and asked them unless they can control their children and stop them running riot, then they were no longer welcome.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Why? How?
    When your meal is cut short and ruined because you have a child absoutly screaming bloody murder for half an hour or running up and down isles slapping other people and the parents don't even once say "shhh" you're completly fine with that? When many people go out to a palce to enjoy a night out and a child sits and crys because they can't get something from a quarter machine the entire time, nobody has a shitty night from that? When you have to sit for 2 straight hours at the DMV and a child talks, crys, screams and repeats nonstop for the entire 2 hours, you dont' think any of the hundred people crammed into that space get pissed off?

well yeah, thats either bad parenting, or maybe a special needs child. You cant always tell.
    Kicking a 19 month old child - a baby off a plane, for chattering away - thats awful.
  • Options
    Great, so all children can be put in their place with a little bit of "good" parenting. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I didn't say it could endanger anyones safety, I was using it as an example for why someone paying their money isn't a valid reason for not offloading someone

Hence why I said:
    I'm not relating it to this specific topic, but in general

obviously if someone is putting other people in danger, the fact that they "paid" doesnt cut it

you cant put a price on safety
  • Options
    Great, so all children can be put in their place with a little bit of "good" parenting. :rolleyes:

Well, yes, actually, they can. Or they should be able to. If a kid doesn't listen to their parents then they've not been taught to give respect. Either that or they've got a mental problem.
  • Options

Indeed
    [BIt can be very annoying and nerve racking. What about people who don't like flying but their concentration is wrecked because a child continously repeats the same thing.[/B]

What do you expect a 19 month old child to do? Sit there and shut up? Repeating stuff is their way of learning.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Well, yes, actually, they can. Or they should be able to. If a kid doesn't listen to their parents then they've not been taught to give respect. Either that or they've got a mental problem.

at 19mths??
    its not uncommon for kids to not even be walking at 18/19 mths, id like to see you try and instil respect for others peace and quiet at that age.
  • Options
    at 19mths?? id like to see you try and instil respect for others peace and quiet at that age.

I would as well.
    in other people's company, they should be taught to behave approprietly

You can't teach a 19 month old to do that though, yes you might be able to teach them to sit still for a few minutes, but there's no way they can be taught to behave the way you wish when other people are around.

I take it hardly of you have ever had kids then?
  • Options

*puts hand up*

for sure!
  • Options
    I don't know if I fully believe this story...I find it a little far fetched. After all I've been on flights loads of times and there has been a toddler chattering away or a baby crying. And for all those people who are saying they haven't got manners etc... he was 19 months old! Have you ever tried to control a bored toddler...probably not! They don't just be quiet and sit perfectly still if you tell them to! Get real, I'm sure if you ask your parents what you were like at 2 years old you'll find you were a loud chatterbox who threw a tantrum if you couldn't get your own way!
  • Options
    maybe more provision for people WITH children. A lot of people dread long journeys when they have children BECAUSE of the snotty attitudes of others.
    When I went to france the other week on the Eurostar, it was supposed to be a family carriage so there would be room for a pushchair etc. Turned out there was NO extra room for anything like that, and me and bf were seated next to two single guys, one who smiled at my baby, and the other one who just looked at us like we were a piece of shit on his shoe everytime the baby murmered because it was disturbing his suduko. I couldnt feed the baby or anything without going into the inbetween carriages bit.
    Why go on about the rights of the childless as though everyone else should pander to that? people with kids dont get any special provision. Why not just be tolerant of others, children and adults. its not exactly hard
  • Options
    Are we sure it wasn't just a rowdy bald dwarf? Cos i could understand it getting kicked off if that was the case.

Children eh. Who'd have em.
  • Options
    only crazy people