Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sheila's wheels, sexist or not?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
simply as above, is shielas wheel sexist? is sayin they will only insure women sexist? do you think if there was one for guys that said they would only insure men the femenists would be up in arms? (i do)

lets hear opinions

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    It's a strange one.
    Statistics do show that although women claim as much as men, the claims tend to be lower so it that sense it seems fair, just as older driver are less likely to claim so their insurance is lower.

However if statistics showed that black people were more likely to claim, would insurance companies be justified in charging them more?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    It's a strange one.
    Statistics do show that although women claim as much as men, the claims tend to be lower so it that sense it seems fair, just as older driver are less likely to claim so their insurance is lower.

However if statistics showed that black people were more likely to claim, would insurance companies be justified in charging them more?

damnit you stole my point!"lol, thats how i feel, its a bit of both, but i still feel its wrong with all this gibberish about sexual equality for years then "bam" women only! lol
  • Options
    Generally women don't have it better off though. They still get paid less on average.
    They do however get a better deal when it comes to night clubs and clothes.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Generally women don't have it better off though. They still get paid less on average.
    They do however get a better deal when it comes to night clubs and clothes.

And orgasms.
  • Options
    well I'm sure if there was an advert saying cheaper insurance for men there would be an outcry!!

But for the most part I think that particular company is just marketing itself - I assume it's the same company that probably owns 10 or 20 insurance companies

I know one chap that worked for an insurance company and they were known by over 70 different names
  • Options
    Diamond do it too.

They'll insure men as named drivers, just not the policy holder.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    well I'm sure if there was an advert saying cheaper insurance for men there would be an outcry!!

But for the most part I think that particular company is just marketing itself - I assume it's the same company that probably owns 10 or 20 insurance companies

I know one chap that worked for an insurance company and they were known by over 70 different names

Probably. Like Elephant.co.uk, Diamond, Admiral, Bell and Confused.com are all the same company.
  • Options
    I know because i work for the Jobcentre and discrimination,

What a frightening thought.
  • Options
    Who cares, there probably would be an outcry if they did it for men, but if more people shopped around then the prices wouldn't be so high anyway.
    I got my first ever quote of £1700 changed to £1200 because I said I'd seen it cheaper elsewhere, plus another couple of hundred off because I had pass plus. (Make sure you do it in that order ;) )
  • Options

Well showing statistics that men (or young/old people) claim more on average isn't the same as proving that being male is a causal factor in them being more likely to make a claim. In other words, does being a man in itself, make you more likely to crash/make a claim? So unless you could prove some biological reason that being black would make you a more dangerous driver, you wouldn't be able to justify it (even though I think that the equivalent evidence to suggest that men/young people are are likely to drive dangerously is hardly cut and dry anyway).

And even with this evidence, yes it's still discrimination. I mean there's more evidence to suggest that someone with tourettes will make your other customers in a restaurant uncomfortable, but it's still discrimination to not allow them to eat because of it. Whereas if a customer never washes and smells, you'd be justified in asking them to leave, because that's something they could change if they wanted. Personally, I'd say only factors that the driver has a say in should be allowed to be used. So driving experience, past claims, where they live, what type of car they choose to drive, whether they use their job for work, etc. Incidentally, can someone tell me the justification behind asking what job you do, if you're not using your car for it? Since I do loads of different jobs at work, I picked the one that got me the cheapest quote (Office Services or Barman, hmmm, let me think) - mwahahaa.
  • Options
    I'm a woman, and was refused insurance from Sheila's Wheels. Grrr.

I don't see what's wrong with having a female only insurance company, it's not like men can't get insurance elsewhere.
  • Options
    Why's that?

You're hardly known for your liberal views. What was it you said about women who've been raped? They're sluts? Was that it?
  • Options
    I don't see what's wrong with having a female only insurance company, it's not like men can't get insurance elsewhere.

I don't think you understand the point being made.
    It's not that we can't get insurance anywhere, it's is that we're charged descriminated against on price.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The point in the original post, was about sexism on a female only company, not about discrimination from a money perspective.

If there was a male only insurance company, I certainly wouldn't complain about it, because I know I could get insurance from anywhere else. I hate feminists, they give us normal women a bad name.
  • Options
    Insurance quotes work on decrimination though don't they.
    The only way an insurance company could qoute without any discriminating against any body would be to have a set premium for new drivers and then adjust for the value of your car and in for 'no claims'.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The point in the original post, was about sexism on a female only company, not about discrimination from a money perspective.

Why do you think these insurance companies exist? To provide cheaper insurance for women only. That's the issue. And it's descrimination.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    If it's ok for companies to offer cheaper prices for women for insurance based on statistical evidence, then it's also ok for companies to discriminate against women & ethnic minorities based on statistical evidence.

We either freely allow people to discriminate or not; there's no alternative.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote: »
    If it's ok for companies to offer cheaper prices for women for insurance based on statistical evidence, then it's also ok for companies to discriminate against women & ethnic minorities based on statistical evidence.

We either freely allow people to discriminate or not; there's no alternative.

Especially on something which you are legally required to pay for if you want to drive. But people always support something in principle, until it negatively effects them, then suddenly all their principles go out of the window. Isn't the whole point of insurance that everyone puts money into a pot, then when someone needs it, they take money out of it. Why should anyone have to put more/less money into the pot unless they have personally proven themselves to be a greater/lesser risk?
  • Options
    Why should anyone have to put more/less money into the pot unless they have personally proven themselves to be a greater/lesser risk?

Well the value of the vehicle is something you'd have to account for too.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It's discrimination and against employment law for them to reject male applicants.

If you phone them up and tell them you will take them to a tribunal if they don't give you their cheap insurance, they will give you it, even if you are a man.

I know because i work for the Jobcentre and discrimination, one of my superiors is with dimond or sheilas already.
    Sheila's Wheels and Diamond are 100% open to applications from males, illegal for them not to. If a guy applies you will get covered. Their advertising that it is 'for women' is just like a magazine being for women, or for black men etc, anyone's still allowed to purchase it.
  • Options
    Why are women only allowed?
    Ricardo R wrote:
    Sheila's Wheels and Diamond are 100% open to applications from males, illegal for them not to. If a guy applies you will get covered. Their advertising that it is 'for women' is just like a magazine being for women, or for black men etc, anyone's still allowed to purchase it.

Spot the difference?
  • Options
    or some insurance company will not insure a driver under 25 so the employer has a legal reason to ask for only 25 year old drivers on an advertisement.
    This age discrimination law will never work. A headhunter rang me this afternoon saying a major well-known company were looking for a "dynamic, young guy" for their salesteam and he thought I'd fit the bill.
  • Options
    This topic has been done to death, I thought.

The whole basis of insurance is discrimnatory. Older people pay less, for example, because they are seen as a lower risk. People who live on flood plains pay more than people who live on top of a hill, for house insurance. Live in mancherster, bet you pay more than I do...

It's all based on statistical analysis.

Now, if it was purely based on gender, and not on the clearl links between gender and claims then I'd have an issue about it...
  • Options
    Well showing statistics that men (or young/old people) claim more on average isn't the same as proving that being male is a causal factor in them being more likely to make a claim. In other words, does being a man in itself, make you more likely to crash/make a claim?

The number of claims isn't relevant. Insurance is a financial risk and so the value is what matters.
  • Options
    I hate feminists, they give us normal women a bad name.

:lol: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    It's a simple fact that young males to car insurers are 'high risk' - but I do think insurers do take the piss a bit. Most 18 year old males won't even be able to insure a 500 quid fiesta for less than a grand.

(The best kept secret for getting cheap insurance is to get a 'classic' car - pretty much anything over 15 years old. I'm 19 and pay just over 300 pounds to insure my Mini! And I could have got insurance on an old MG for five or six hundred).
  • Options
    The whole basis of insurance is discrimnatory. Older people pay less, for example, because they are seen as a lower risk. People who live on flood plains pay more than people who live on top of a hill, for house insurance. Live in mancherster, bet you pay more than I do...

Would you then think it acceptable for insurance companies to descriminate on race if there was clear link between race and claims?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Would you then think it acceptable for insurance companies to descriminate on race if there was clear link between race and claims?

yeah , say there was statistical backing for the theory that non-white people claim more, would it be right to say (like shielas wheels) on an advert etc. that they only insure white people?
  • Options

When it becomes an issue, let's discuss it.

I don't see any complaints about the age discrimination which already happens, we seem to accept that.

Get over it guys, if this is something which really drives you nuts then let's face it you must have pretty cushy lives. So you have to pay more for car insurance, big deal.

Try living with lower wages, paying tax on sanitary products or a sexist society who doesn't castigate a father for leaving his kids but will happily ask how a mother could leave hers. We live in a sexist world and TBH me paying a very slightly higher insurance premium is pretty fucking small fry.
  • Options
    They would need a legal reason, for example a disabled person who employs someone in their own home to care for them, they are allowed a female or male only carer, .
    Male or female only? what else could there be? unless I read it wrong.