Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

growing hair longer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so, i'm impatient and have decided i want to grow my hair by about 4" (it's currently shoulder length, and has been for about 2 yrs now) BUT, im impatient....so is there any food or supplements or hair products even that would speed up my hairs growth rate.
Also, anything i can do to make my hair grow thicker (not thickening products like shampoos and sprays) and stronger, as its always been fine!
Thank you
L+C

Comments

• Options
    so, i'm impatient and have decided i want to grow my hair by about 4" (it's currently shoulder length, and has been for about 2 yrs now) BUT, im impatient....so is there any food or supplements or hair products even that would speed up my hairs growth rate.
    Also, anything i can do to make my hair grow thicker (not thickening products like shampoos and sprays) and stronger, as its always been fine!
    Thank you
    L+C

Not really. Although I have heard good things about flaxseed oil. You can't change your hair from being thin to being thick.
    I've been growing my hair for years, it only grows an inch every few months so you will have to be patient!
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Not really. Although I have heard good things about flaxseed oil. You can't change your hair from being thin to being thick.
    I've been growing my hair for years, it only grows an inch every few months so you will have to be patient!
    I wish mine grew that slowly :grump:.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I wish mine grew that slowly :grump:.

You have shortish hair, don't you? I think short hair always appears to grow a lot quicker, but maybe that's because styles grow out quickly and the contrast is a lot greater to long hair.
  • Options
    ^ I agree. You can't make hair grow faster or thicker. Trimming it regularly will help the condition so you'll get fewer split ends- other than that- just take care of it and be patient!
  • Options
    damn it :( wots this about flax seed oil then??
    was just musing,is there a certain something that helps the strength of your hair (kinda like calcium helps teeth+bones), cos its im growing it longer, id like it to be nice and strong!
  • Options
    Unfortunately there isn't anything that will speed up your natural hair growth rate - it's genetic and can't be changed.
    Thickening shampoos only last as long as the next wash and supplements will only make your hair more 'shiny'. I'm afraid that patience is all you got! I've been growing my hair for years now and it's still only past my boobs/near my waist, which for me, isn't long enough!! Although, the time of the year seems to have given me a bit of a growth spurt - it seems to have grown overnight!
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    You have shortish hair, don't you? I think short hair always appears to grow a lot quicker, but maybe that's because styles grow out quickly and the contrast is a lot greater to long hair.
    Yeh, that makes sense. But I swear mine's grown at least 2 inches since I had it cut about 2 months ago. Good job I'm trying to grow it out, really.
  • Options
    try special masks. U`ll use them after washing hair. I use it. I like it very much.
  • Options
    I feel for you. I got bangs which look horrible on me, so I have to grow them out! Somebody needs to invent a pill that grows out hair.:banghead:
  • Options
    Ok:

regular trims, every six weeks
    take a nails skin hair supplement
    and use coconut oil on it every week (extra virgin oil if possible, and leave it on either over night or for 30 and then soak in the bath for 30 if possible...)
    and then buy long hair shampoo once it's got a bit more length...
    and don't style it too much, let it dry naturally
  • Options
    Ok:

take a nails skin hair supplement
    and use coconut oil on it every week (extra virgin oil if possible, and leave it on either over night or for 30 and then soak in the bath for 30 if possible...)
    and then buy long hair shampoo once it's got a bit more length...
    and don't style it too much, let it dry naturally

surely all of that just stops you getting split ends, and doesn't speed up the actual grwoth of the hair.
  • Options
    i did that stuff when i decided to go for a boy crop, and then it looked stupid and i had shoulder length hair in 6 months...
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    surely all of that just stops you getting split ends, and doesn't speed up the actual grwoth of the hair.

Stopping split ends happening will allow you to grow it longer though. One of my friend's hair kept getting shorter and shorter, though she hadn't had it cut purely from using straighteners on it every day and it was breaking off! So, avoid over heating it if you want to keep your new growth.
  • Options
    you could always get extenstions? my sister has got some and they are really good from Sallys like 15 quid a peice though.
  • Options
    Where can you buy coconut oil from?
  • Options

As long as your hair is in reasonably good condition, I wouldn't do this. Hairdressers always advise you to (because they want your money, perchance?), but the average person's hair only grows half an inch a month, and if you're having it trimmed every 6 weeks, you'll lose half your growth.

I've been growing mine for the last couple of years, and have only been having it cut every 6 months or so. I've been straightening it less often and conditioning the tits off it, and I don't have split ends. 2 years ago it was 4" long. Now it's down to my boobs. I really think if I'd have had more regular trims, it wouldn't have been so quick to grow.
  • Options
    When I decided to grow my hair it grew really quickly then stopped about an inch below my shoulder, that took about a year. It's taken another 4 years to get it about level with my bra.

I find trimming it by 2 inches adds 1 inche in 3-4 months (ie cut by 2" and it grows 3".

But everyone is different and I do believe most people have a finite length their hair will reach!
  • Options
    You can buy coconut oil from most pharmacies. Boots do their own.
  • Options
    You can buy coconut oil from most pharmacies. Boots do their own.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    What all does this coconut oil supposed to do? It sounds yummy. Does it smell like coconuts?
  • Options
    Coconut oil is the oil taken directly from the coconut 'fruit'. It smells just like a real coconut, but looks like coconut milk, but...like butter.

It has amazing moisturising properties. I used to use it a lot when I was younger as it helped my scalp psoriasis. The only problem is, is that it works best when slept in overnight, so you'd need a towel over your pillow for the night as it'll smush all over your pillowcase!
  • Options
    Phyto have a couple of good products Phytopahere is a vitamin supplement for hair and nails with will make the hair strong and speed up the growth process. There is also Revlon Intragen 5 a hair loss patch. You may not be lossing hair but it will help to build up the hair density and stimulate growth. even if you don't use a specific hair vitamin you could try adding vitamin B to your diet to help the hair become straong thus promoting growth.
  • Options
    You're really into hair care heaven :yeees: