Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

how old do u ave to be to get a tattoo?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
title says it all bassicly
anyone know?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    18 and heres an old thread with some opinions on the matter that might help
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=84622&highlight=tattoo+age
    Old enough to not use the phrase "How old do u ave to be?" :p
    Old enough to not use the phrase "How old do u ave to be?" :p

So true! It's 18. If someone is willing to tattoo you when you're younger than that, I can guarantee it'll be a shit job- TRUST ME. I got lucky and mine was fixable, but that's not always the case.
    Its suppose to be 18, but a lot of places dont give a rats ass. My mate who is 16 use another mates passport (who is 18) and the picture looks nothing like him but they accepted it.

I agree with the others though, some places will do them for you whatever age you are. A guy I used to work with got one on his wrist when he was just 14! But if you're going to get something as permanent as a tattoo you want a good job, so you don't want to go to the kind of places that will tattoo a 14 year old.
    Lots of people I know have been getting tattoos since they were 15. In year 11 quite alot of the lads had them. Now loads of people got them in 6th form when they were 16/17. I dunno how the places check though - alot don't care as long as you pay them.
    If a tattooist is happy to tattoo someone underage, then what else are they going to be happy to do? They'll be happy not to undergo proper hygiene routines, wear gloves, use fresh needles etc.

Not worth the risk.
    Go and get one of these: Clicky
    Go on. Don't be a pussy.
    I don't think it's fair to say that if a person disregards one rule, they will disregard others and quality.
    katralla wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair to say that if a person disregards one rule, they will disregard others and quality.

Perhaps not, but all of the tattoos I've seen that have been done on under-agers are not good. It should be one of the main priorities of a tattooist to check their clients age- if they're not checking things like that you've got to wonder what other rules they're ignoring.
    Dobbin wrote: »
    Perhaps not, but all of the tattoos I've seen that have been done on under-agers are not good. It should be one of the main priorities of a tattooist to check their clients age- if they're not checking things like that you've got to wonder what other rules they're ignoring.

Yep, someone who does this obviously doesn't give a shit about losing their licence (is there a licence rule yet?) which means they don't give a shit about losing their licence when following health and safety rules either.
    I don't see why you think that. I break laws with abandon, but that doesn't then mean I'd go out and steal a car or murder someone, or that I'm more likely too either.
    I can see your point, but it makes more sense when you turn it round.

I would have thought that as a general rule of thumb, the places where talented artists work, that have high standards of cleanliness and stick to industry guidelines and health and safety laws will also enforce the age limits.

Somewhere with high standards for most things, generally have high standards all round. It wouldn't be worth them losing their license for one thing.
    It doesn't make any difference if you turn it around. The fact that I don't go around murdering people doesn't make me less likely to to take drugs, for example. I do think there ought to be an age restriction on permenant alterations to ones body though if I'm honest, I'm only arguing this because I find the theory of age-restriction ignorers more likely to have lower standards across the board to be flawed logic.
    If you enforce the age restriction, then it would appear you care about keeping your license and your reputation.

If you care about your license and your reputation then you will put the effort in elsewhere, you'll autoclave and clean properly, and generally put the effort in.

If you accept underage clients, then you're less fussed about keeping your license (it's pretty easy to get caught on this one), less disciplined and more likely to be less bothered about other standards.

It's not a definite standard, but as a general rule of thumb, going somewhere that blatantly flouts the basic rules isn't a good start.

And I would have though that trying to compare it to all the laws of the land and moving onto murder was a weak simile.

If you accept underage clients, then you're less fussed about keeping your license (it's pretty easy to get caught on this one), less disciplined and more likely to be less bothered about other standards.

then you're less fussed about keeping your license (it's pretty easy to get caught on this one)

maybe

less disciplined

what makes you think that?

more likely to be less bothered about other standards.

again, no- I don't see any corralation, what makes you think that?
    I'm giving up on this one as well evidently see things completely differently and my experiences have given me a different impression to yours.

Places I have worked with high standards, tend to have them across the board.

Places that don't give a damn about one thing, tend to slide on several other fronts too.

That's just been my experience, be it NHS, leisure, PPE equipment.....
    im 16 i have 1, with my parents consent, it turned out really good :)
    misty15 wrote: »
    im 16 i have 1, with my parents consent, it turned out really good :)
    Are your parents braindead by any chance????? :eek:
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster

a friend of mine had her first one at 15 with her parent's consent. They arent brain dead. :rolleyes: You have no idea what the tattoo is like, what it means, how mature misty is. Why be so judgemental without knowing any other facts!
    Even with consent, isn't it still illegal to tattoo someone under 18?

Braindead might not be the right word, but I'd have to say it's pretty irresponsible giving your child the go ahead to break the law.
    Yes, I am being judgmental and I have no problem saying it. It's absurd to let a child have a tattoo. Any parent who consents to that, needs their heads looking at or banging together IMO.

Tattooing minors is illegal. FACT.

Thats a bit unfair.

i don't really see what the big deal is. If your allowed to have sex when your 16 then its pretty pointless not allowing a 16 yold to get tatted.
    Yes, I am being judgmental and I have no problem saying it. It's absurd to let a child have a tattoo. Any parent who consents to that, needs their heads looking at or banging together IMO.

Tattooing minors is illegal. FACT.

Would you be saying that if a 'MINOR' one month till their 18th birthday got a tattoo done? It's all subjective. Maybe that person was mature enough to understand that a tatt is a permanent thing and like someone else said, we dont know the circumstances. I disagree with tattooists blatently doing it on 15 year olds etc and breaking the law but I wouldnt go so far as to call the parents 'brain dead'.
    18, or 16 with an adult's permission (mom or dad) saying its ok
    Tattoing under 18's is an offence under the Tattoing Minors Act 1969. Although there is no lower age limit for body peircings, the last place I went to where explaining that if they do under 16's (and under-age tattos as well) they can be charged with actual bodily harm on a minor.

Kids will get them done underage, but decent places will have safeguards to prevent most under-age cases. There is no way I will let my kids get tattos dine underage. There fior life are very painful and expensive to be removed and should only be done after full consideration.
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Even with consent, isn't it still illegal to tattoo someone under 18?

Braindead might not be the right word, but I'd have to say it's pretty irresponsible giving your child the go ahead to break the law.

Indeed. I think braindead was a bit harsh, and I agree with kaff here. But then, having thought about it, if my kid wanted a tattoo at 16/17, then I would have to sit and talk to them about whether they really wanted it and if they knew it was permanent and if they'd really thought about it properly. Then maybe I'd consider it. But if they did it without telling me.....:grump:.

Saying that though, Rich got his tattoo at 15 (he told me he'd had it 7 years and I was trying to do the maths and he was like "yeh, I got it done just before I turned 16", so I was quite shocked), and he said his mum was jealous of it :p.
    DC85 wrote: »
    If your allowed to have sex when your 16 then its pretty pointless not allowing a 16 yold to get tatted.

You don't have to wear that sex upon yourself for the rest of your life.

I consider myself pretty liberal, but there's no way in hell I'd let a child of mine get tattooed before they were 18. If they wanted them enough, they'll still want them when they turned 18, and after that it would be up to them. But I'd damn sure be pulling the 'don't come crying to me wanting laser surgery in 5 years' line on them, because I'd say 99% of the people I know who had tattoos even under 20 wound up hating them within 10 years.

Oh, and if they were that 'mature', then not only would they have the patience to wait until it was legal, they would understand why they had to, and why it was a good idea.