Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Glucosamine in small capsules

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so I'm aware most of you are under the age of 70, but I thought someone may be able to assist.

As you may or may not know, I have quite knackered joints and a large NHS shaped pain in my arse not doing a reet lot to help. Annnnyhoo, I've heard loads of anecdotal stories about the wonder of glucosamine, and figure it can't hurt to try, right?

Right. So my problem is that I'm quite shit at taking big pills, and everything I've seen thus far has been roughly the size of a sea mammal. Does anyone know of any brands of glucosamine that come in smaller capsules? I'm good with everything up to about your average cod liver oil type size.

Thanking you greatly :)

Comments

• Options
    I have a genetic joint/tendon/collagen condition myself, and was recommended glucosamine to stop me stiffening up.
    I haven't yet found any that aren't the size of pessaries.. but if you do, keep me posted.
  • Options
    You might find this an interesting read.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    You might find this an interesting read.

Interesting indeed! Cheers :)

I'll conduct my own independant medical trial, then, since ibuprofen seems to do very little for me other than dissolve my digestive system.

Ilora - apparently Holland and Barratt do tablets that are on the larger side, but can be broken up. I'm still investigating this, but may be worth checking out. They put the actual size of the tablet on the label (which I LOVE) so you can assess for yourself how doable swallowing it would be. They also sell it as a liquid, although personally I'd rather choke myself to death swallowing a pill the size of my fist than go anywhere near liquid meds again.
  • Options
    Im sure you can buy it as a powder. Some of the dogs where i work have it mixed into their food (and its not from the vet)
  • Options
    Blah wrote: »
    Im sure you can buy it as a powder. Some of the dogs where i work have it mixed into their food (and its not from the vet)

I think I'd be a little bit concerned about the taste, to be honest. Knowing that my dog will happily eat her own sick if she recognises something tasty in there, I wouldn't think they were too fussy. :sour:
  • Options
    I'll have a look at H&B. I just hate it when you buy a bottle of supplements, get home, take off the foil seal and realise that you can't swallow them - done it so many times and wasted so much monay. An 'actual size' pic is somewhat genius lol. I'll have a look into the liquid glucosamine, I'm not too bothered about taste, it's just the size of pills that bothers me :chin:
  • Options
    you can get tablet cutters (probably not the right term) but a little thing that cuts a tablet in half...might be cheaper/easier to look in to getting one of those from boots/superdrug etc.
  • Options
    Don't know about the ones you're looking for, but Tesco put their tablet sizes on the packet too :)
  • Options
    Don't know about the ones you're looking for, but Tesco put their tablet sizes on the packet too :)

They do indeed! It's been a major help to me over the years.

Speaking of which - Tesco value glucosamine - £1.99 - small tablets. Win. :yippe:

Only problem is the dosage is really low, but I can just triple up. Going to try them out.