Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anxiety meds

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right now I'm on effexor for depression and anxiety. But I think I'm quite good with the first and the anxiety only hits occasionally. I was thinking about going in and asking my doc about my medicine. But before I do that I like to look up things by myself first so I know what they are talking about and can say what I think would be the best instead of the doctor just prescribing something. I was thinking, the most beneficial thing might be something thats anxiety only and not something thats taken on a regular basis, something thats an as needed thing. Does anybody know if theres something like that out there? Or just me hoping too much :p If not, I'd think about just coming off things completly and carrying a paper bag aound with me ;)

Comments

• Options
    Valium, Xanax, and Lorazepam
  • Options
    Oh it seems so obvious now :o
    What a dumb question.
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    Right now I'm on effexor for depression and anxiety. But I think I'm quite good with the first and the anxiety only hits occasionally. I was thinking about going in and asking my doc about my medicine. But before I do that I like to look up things by myself first so I know what they are talking about and can say what I think would be the best instead of the doctor just prescribing something. I was thinking, the most beneficial thing might be something thats anxiety only and not something thats taken on a regular basis, something thats an as needed thing. Does anybody know if theres something like that out there? Or just me hoping too much :p If not, I'd think about just coming off things completly and carrying a paper bag aound with me ;)

I suffer from that too. I've been on valium for a year and a half and sertraline.
    TBH if i were you i wouldn't go for valium or anything like that. they are highly addictive and thats a problem i now have. try valerien, its a hherbal alternative and very effective, you can by that on its own or kalms contain it.
  • Options
    when i was in hospital and feeling anxious i could go and ask the nurse for clonazepam, i found it took the edge off of things. also herbal remedies like lavender oil are pretty good.
  • Options
    I forgot about that. I use lavender furniture polish, lavender air freshener and burning oils and it helps create a nice calm area...
  • Options
    benzo's are meant to be only short term, but people seem to have them forever then cant get off them.

You should discuss it with your doctor.

Beta-blockers help with anxiety if you have physical symptoms (e.g racing pulse, shortness of breath, sweating etc), controlling that can help you calm yourself much easier.

Benzo's are sedating and addictive. Theres lots of them but the ones used most regularly are; Diazepam(Valium) which is a longer-acting medicine and usually taken 3 times a day, Lorazepam(Ativan) is a short acting benzo that is often used 'when required', and temazepam(dont know the brand) which ive only ever seen used for sleep at night.

Clonazepam(U.S brand-Klonopin) is similar to lorazepam, i think, but not as common. Xanax, mentioned above is, alprazolam and ive never seen that here in the UK so i wouldnt know.
  • Options
    I suffer from that too. I've been on valium for a year and a half and sertraline.
    TBH if i were you i wouldn't go for valium or anything like that. they are highly addictive and thats a problem i now have. try valerien, its a hherbal alternative and very effective, you can by that on its own or kalms contain it.

Oh I like the sound of that, I'll have to have a look. Thanks!
    That sounds nice. I know I'd be too tempted to use the others and end up having nothing left if I actually need it.
  • Options
    Taking benzo's is a dangerous move (although they are relatively safe drugs to use) the potential for addiction is high and the chemical addiction to benzo's is serious.

I would talk to your doctor carefully about alternatives, could you have a course of CBD treatment?
  • Options
    I've had over a decade of therapy, its just the physical symptoms I need help with, I can overcome most all of the mental feelings quite easily now, hence why I said I'm pretty good with everything.
  • Options
    I've had over a decade of therapy, its just the physical symptoms I need help with, I can overcome most all of the mental feelings quite easily now, hence why I said I'm pretty good with everything.

Please dont take this the wrong way but that does sound quite odd to me, I'm not in anyway saying you are nuts (how can I have any idea?) but surely if you have dealt with the anxiety you shouldnt need the meds?

If you dont have any mental anxiety yet you are still getting the symptoms might it be something else?
  • Options
    I have dealt with it. I used to not even be able to leave the house or often my bed and be quite depressed. I've been treated from 8 to almost 20. I've talked, learned and have been more than capable of being able to handle myself for several years now. When I get down I drag myself out of bed and up to keep from feeling that way. I've learned to express the feelings that bring me down in alternative ways and force myself to do alternative things to keep myself from feeling that way. I can now leave the house, I can go out in public, most of all, I can actually talk to people. I can ask for a refill at a resturant without throwing up. I do not freeze up, hyperventelate, cry and generally live like a hermit because I have been helped and have learned how to live a relatively normal life with a relative ease at handeling social situations. I don't spend days locked away with self destructive thoughts unhelpfull unable to even answer a phone. Almost failing school and going from job to job because I just can't bring myself to go. Yes, anxiety does still hit, as it does to most people. First day of school or work, end of the semester with tests and final papers, presentations. Things alot of people would feel anxious about. However, I still get quite choked up about them. I can do them and dont' even think about not doing it. All the techniques I've learned, though calming and able to make me complete the task, still do not take away the sweating, racing pulse and occasionally shortness of breath. In my, and several doctors minds, I have overcome the problems. The things I experience are no more severe than that alot of people may suffer, especially in the new situations, surroundings and public speaking. But when the time comes, the thoughts of past experiences often come to mind, and though I think other thoughts and use other methods I have previously leaned, it often makes it seem slightly worse. This is why I do not believe that medication is any longer necessary, but something to take the edge off in those extreme situations (a few times a year), would be very helpfull and benificial. Not even necissairly medication. As diamond suggested, an herbal remedy, I would be most gratefull for and would probably be the best route to take. I'm even taking a communications class at school (ok so its required, but still...) and I do hope that will also help.

And that is my extremly long and extremly unnecessary post for the day. Thats what happens when I'm bored at work :p
  • Options
    Re:Anxiety meds

your body can build a tolerance to it just like any medication and it seems from your question that you are experiencing a "rebound effect" which means that when the meds don't help (for whatever reason) you experience a rebound and yes it does make the anxiety worse...........see your doctor and also think about seeing an individual therapist so maybe you can address the underlying cause of your anxiety
  • Options
    :confused: I don't know where you got that things are worse. Also if you've read I've already seen people and the underlaying caues is delt with. Either way, I was only asking if something existed because I was having an oblivious day so I could inquire about it when I'm at the docs.
  • Options
    I take propranolol (beta blockers) and citalopram (anti depressants) for my anxiety, does help a fair bit.
  • Options
    And that is my extremly long and extremly unnecessary post for the day. Thats what happens when I'm bored at work :p

I think that summed it up really well - in terms of short acting one off things to take on very rare occasions then I dont see that low dose valium would be that risky.
  • Options
    anxiety medication

HI I want to get on anxiety meds, but need something that definitely doesn't have nausea side effects....see one of the reason i want to get on them is that one of my phobias are throwing up. What is recommended? and does anxiety medication just stop working for no reason? or can it make the anxiety and panic worse instead of better?