Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

ripe fruit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how do you ripen fruit? It seems my fruit is always underripe. LIke today, I have this peach here; its like biting into an apple its so crisp. But its gotta be a week old at least, you'd think it would have ripened up by now.

Same with all the fruit i get, except for grapes or something.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stick it next to some bananas or just buy them ripen :p
    I don't know how to tell those kind of things, I just look to make sure nothing has big mushy thumb prints in them
    Do bananas give off a fruit ripening aura that will make the rest of it good? :p
    my_name wrote: »
    Do bananas give off a fruit ripening aura that will make the rest of it good? :p

They have special powers will make fruit ripen quicker. ;)
    Brown paper bag on the window sill.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Brown paper bag on the window sill.

Calvin wrote: »

Oooo, what did ya say that needed editing out?

Yeah, stick unripe fruit near bananas, they release ripening fumes or something. I hate unripe fruit, a lot of the chilled stuff that you get in supermarkets has a ripe window (between unripe and mouldy) of about 27 seconds.
    some fruit from some places never ripens. Its to do with how its stored before it gets to the shop. Ive bought green bananas efore to ripen at home and they never ripened, they just went bad, and peaches that have never softened, but just gone bad too. Id try buying fruit from a different place tbh. Ive complained about fruit that doesnt ripen before, its usually the company/shop buying shit cheap stuff to save themselves money, but its inedible.
    I think it's because fruit is intentionally picked when it's hard so that it can be transported and packed and handled without bruising. I might be making this up, but I think the fruit then gets sprayed with ripening hormones when they are in the last transport lorry. (that all sounds rather sci-fi but I'm sure I learnt that in a biology lesson at school, or I might have dreamt it)
    Calvin wrote: »
    stick it next to some bananas

:yes: BUT not for long or they go mouldy :grump:
    I would think sun would help but I really don't know for sure..

I had a nice ripe peach today myself.. mmm juciy :)
    I buy from a real good place, a garden fresh market thing. Everything is so much fresher and tastier and such than from a normal grocery store. But I think I found the problem, immediatly after I buy them I put them in the crisper drawer in the fridge, and I realized that its set at vegetable setting :p