Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Consequences of the smoking ban...

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I blame only being 6'1" on both my parents' smoking through my pregnancy.
  • Options
    Altho Im a non smoker it really pi-sses me off that some bloody
    do good bureaucrat is telling us how and what to do with our lives
    yet again. This country prides itself on being a democracy,
    and I define a democracy as freedom of choice.
    Just stand by a busy road junction in the rush hour d'ya call that healthy...?
    But they wont ban cars from being used in public will they?

Im sick of this bloody government! Advise us, yes! but let us make
    up our own minds
  • Options
    daveboy wrote: »
    Altho Im a non smoker it really pi-sses me off that some bloody
    do good bureaucrat is telling us how and what to do with our lives
    yet again. This country prides itself on being a democracy,
    and I define a democracy as freedom of choice.
    Just stand by a busy road junction in the rush hour d'ya call that healthy...?
    But they wont ban cars from being used in public will they?

Im sick of this bloody government! Advise us, yes! but let us make
    up our own minds

What on earth are you on about? All the government has done is ban smoking in public places; not make it illegal everywhere.

Smokers have had the freedom to smoke wherever (pretty much anyway) for years.
  • Options
    I blame my asthma on my mothers smoking.
    The number of children with asthma is at an all time high.

The culprit? Not cigarettes actually, but cars and general build-up area pollution
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    The number of children with asthma is at an all time high.

The culprit? Not cigarettes actually, but cars and general build-up area pollution
    I thought it was something to do with the cleanliness obsession as well?
  • Options
    I don't see why i should have to risk my own health to be in the same building as someone else who chooses to smoke. I think it is a good thing this has happened.
    It's not Polonium mate. If you lived to the grand age of 5,000 years you would still not have been put your life at risk from sharing a building with someone who smokes. Sharing a broom closet with a chain smoker for 20 years, maybe.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I thought it was something to do with the cleanliness obsession as well?

That's allergies which can bring on asthma.
  • Options
    dno you know, because i could never smell the smell of smoke since i was already around it and my chest used to get tight when i sat with my auntie and mum when i was young, then i was diagnosed with asthma. Tends to make me cough when my mum smokes infront of me, so i think the smoke does do me harm.

Of course it does you harm if you're asthmatic, but that doesn't mean it directly contributed to your having it in the first place.
  • Options
    I think it does though to be honest, like everything else it contributes and i'd just rather not be forced to inhale other peoples smoke, if they want to smoke it shouldn't be where others are affected.
    It probably contributes to the severity of it, but I doubt that it's a direct causal factor of your asthma, but nevermind.

Nobody (or, nobody sensible) is saying that you should be forced to inhale other people's smoke. What I (and most people) am objecting to is that we are being forced to go outside in the rain/cold/whatever when there are other, perfectly plausible, solutions.
  • Options
    What solutions would that be, then?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    What solutions would that be, then?
    A separate, ventilated room? Or would that still be too close for you?
  • Options
    I would be fine with it, as long I didn't have to go anywhere near the room in order to go elsewhere.
  • Options
    I would be fine with it, as long I didn't have to go anywhere near the room in order to go elsewhere.
    Well, no. Of course not. Although I don't see how being near it would affect you since it *would* be entirely separate from you.

I don't know why I'm even explaining this since it has been suggested about 328141717874174 times before in this thread and others about the ban.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Franki wrote: »
    Well, no. Of course not. Although I don't see how being near it would affect you since it *would* be entirely separate from you.

I don't know why I'm even explaining this since it has been suggested about 328141717874174 times before in this thread and others about the ban.

That^

The smoking ban is aload of bollocks, mate spoke to acop, even tehy disagree with it seems, but enforce it grudgingly.

I think this state is getting too pissy about trivial issues, ignoring big ones by distracting the public with b alls like "hunting ban!" "smoking ban!". The harm of passive smoking is still not confirmed anyway... sigh.

Ah well, we could have seperate rooms, but apparently the existence of smokers annoys people enough to ban it outright, incase a little puff of smoke amy escape and kill them.

Fucking hell. Ernesto would laugh at this, being an asthmatic cigar smoker. :D
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    A=People smoking everywhere
    B=People smoking only outside
    C=People smoking inside in closed off rooms.

A<<<B<<<C
    I think pretty much everyone agrees on that.

The fact is, your country was in A, and now it's in B. It's not in C, which would be perfect, but B is definitely better than A. I'm not going to complain about a situation that's better than it was simply because it's not perfect.
  • Options
    A=People smoking everywhere
    B=People smoking only outside
    C=People smoking inside in closed off rooms.

A<<<B<<<C
    I think pretty much everyone agrees on that.

The fact is, your country was in A, and now it's in B. It's not in C, which would be perfect, but B is definitely better than A. I'm not going to complain about a situation that's better than it was simply because it's not perfect.
    I am. Because it's cold outside, and rainy, and the other solution was, I'm sure, suggested, so why it isn't in place is a mystery to me.

I'm not complaining about the principle, I'm complaining about the fact that I'M GONNA GET FUCKING WET.
  • Options
    Why is it now that if pubs have smoking rooms, they can't be used? :confused:
  • Options
    Because they're indoors. So it's against the law. Obviously.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    or have they just forgotten to take the sign down?

Probably just forgotten to take the sign down lol
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    just thought i'd ask here, when wandering round town yesterday how come there was an amusement arcade shop thingy and outside it had a sign saying "smokers welcome here" when its an enclosed building? or have they just forgotten to take the sign down?
    Orrrrrrrr they are doing as a lot of places are doing and deliberately flouting the ban.
  • Options

Perhaps now you'll realise how stupid and ill-thought out this law is that provisions are not made for separate smoking rooms, cigar clubs, shisha cafes and all manner of places where the raison d'etre is smoking...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    No, it's actually:

B<<<A<<<C
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    That^

The smoking ban is aload of bollocks, mate spoke to acop, even tehy disagree with it seems, but enforce it grudgingly.

I think this state is getting too pissy about trivial issues, ignoring big ones by distracting the public with b alls like "hunting ban!" "smoking ban!". The harm of passive smoking is still not confirmed anyway... sigh.

Ah well, we could have seperate rooms, but apparently the existence of smokers annoys people enough to ban it outright, incase a little puff of smoke amy escape and kill them.

Fucking hell. Ernesto would laugh at this, being an asthmatic cigar smoker. :D

It's amazing how addicted to cigarettes you must be, defending the tobacco companies that are laughing at you like that.
  • Options
    Something else good to come out of the smoking ban:

at my work place, they closed the smoking room (thank god, I had been asking for it to be closed for years as it was right next to my desk and STANK), but they have now invested money in a small outdoor area. They have put up seating and a shelter. Went out there with my mate (who is a smoker) and it was very pleasant to get away from my desk and get 5 minutes of fresh air. I would never have gone in the smoking room (actually, I did once, to close the blinds, and the smell made me choke, even the smokers didn't like it).
  • Options
    Kat,

I was at a hotel the other week and to get to the smoking rooms you had to walk along a corridor of non-smoking room. Towards the end was a door leading to the smokers room and the minute I opened it the stentch hit me. And that's with my dulled-by-smoking-sense-of-smell.