Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Consequences of the smoking ban...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Smokers, are being shat upon by the people in power simply because they are a minority and can't fight back. I'm looking forward to the day when you need a permit to smoke...

So what's more important then, you being allowed to smoke or me and the millions of other peopel going out, not being to breathe in smoke, not smelling of cigarettes and not having an asthma attack?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    So what's more important then, you being allowed to smoke or me and the millions of other peopel going out, not being to breathe in smoke, not smelling of cigarettes and not having an asthma attack?

See, when you misrepresent other people's stance, utilise hyperbole, polarise your opinion, and view the issue as black and white you lose any chance of sensible debate.
  • Options
    Don't you think how a pub smells is a moot point as far as the smoking ban goes? Inhaling second-hand smoke is detrimental to your health whereas the smell of sweaty feet and body odour is just unpleasant. I'd actually rather smell smoke than body odour, but that's personal preference, and certainly no basis for legislation.

I think thta you misunderstood my point - it wasn't about the smell of smoke.

However, I don't think that anyone would argue (except those who cannot see the wood for the trees) that smoke is harmful. The comment about the odours that someone can smell, within a week of a ban, would suggest significant levels of harmful smoke which were previously in the atmosphere.

This suggest that the problem was a large on and that therefore a ban was appropriate.

And I speak as a smoker.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    I suppose when they start providing more outdoor shelters for smokers at clubs/pubs it will improve slightly. But who wants to go outside for a fag when there drinking. I certainly don't.

Im still in the middle of deciding if I should give up or not, this ban is certainly making me think I should as I see no point in smoking no more. Im not sure if I see this ban as a good thing yet but time will tell, I can appreciate the comments from non-smokers

I still smoke in the work van :razz:
  • Options
    See, when you misrepresent other people's stance, utilise hyperbole, polarise your opinion, and view the issue as black and white you lose any chance of sensible debate.

Pretty much what I was going to say. Except I was busy making quiche.

And for the record Sofie, I am no longer a smoker but I will defend smokers' rights til my dying day.
  • Options
    Going out every night in the week before the ban to make the most of smoking inside I was pretty broke by July 1st...Smoking a bit less this last week I suppose I've saved a few quid. At the pub tonight it just felt weird not being able to light up - and since it's crap weather at the moment going outside isn't that appealing either. Perhaps it'll get better as more places stick up heaters; although, I'm sure the government will try and ban them next.

The ban goes way too far. There is no logical reason why pubs can't allow smoking in a different room if there's proper ventilation and it is a separate room. Forcing elderly working mens club members to go outside for a smoke in the middle of January is downright inhumane. There could have been some compromise but the smoking ban was all about making life uncomfortable for smokers and it will do just that. Meh, I'm sure one day smoking will have a revival and everybody will light up freely again. For now though and the forseeable future I think everybody's going to have to put up with this smoke-free nonsense.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I've failed to notice any of the no smoking signs so far.
    Come and visit my local town. There are millions of the gits here. Our local Woolworths has about six of them at the doors alone.
  • Options
    I am a smoker and as the week has progressed I'm more mixed feelings about the ban than i was before. I have cut down on my smoking which is a big plus but the atmosphere in pubs, clubs etc has completley changed. I don't know if anybody else has noticed it but firstly the insides have become totally sterile like...and empty...because everybody is outside even the non-smokers.

This week I have seen

4 fights on the street that probably would not have happened if smoking was still legal. One of the fights was caused because the pavement was so packed with smokers that one pissed up guy bashed into another pissed up guy. If this had happened indoors it probably wouldn't have kicked off because being outside gives the impression of space.

Several people receive on the spot fines for dropping cigarette butts on the floor outside a pub. Please note this pub did not have an ashtray or anything outside, there was no bin to place the butts in etc.

My friend's DJed at a night in Spitalfield's market and because they played inbetween when the bands were on all the people there would go outside during their set. Due to this less money was spent on the bar, the promoters could not meet their minimum spend guarantee and my friends lost out on getting paid.

I however am considerably lucky because where I work is a club that runs till 7am in the morning with and outside area that is covered and sheltered by a trainline. Also the cloakroom is outside and I can sit there and puff away Muhahahahahahahahahaha.

But honestly, the pubs have been so quiet this week....
  • Options
    I went to a big club on Saturday. It felt so different with the smoking ban. Definitely a positive as far as I am concerned. They were pumping some sort of scent out, and it smelled very fresh and nice. I could actually breathe.

At this club they have created a big roof terrace for smokers. I went up there with my mate who is a smoker. Most of the smokers were moaning that they were like "lepers" :rolleyes:
    (I don't see how, the terrace was pretty nice, completely covered, large, lots of seating)

The club was full to capacity. Yes, fab. :)
  • Options
    One club in particular in my town on a Sunday for months now it has been quiet but the past two Sundays it has been the busiest I've seen it for ages.
  • Options
    Im quite liking the smoking ban now. Went out saturday night paid £6 i think it was get in liquid now normally if you go out and then go back later in the night you have to pay again but now you can go out sayin ur havin a fag get a stamp on ur hand go somewhere else then go back later on in the night
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/6290462.stm :D

It seems that for some people at least there might be a reason to visit Stoke...
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    luvmeright wrote: »
    Im quite liking the smoking ban now. Went out saturday night paid £6 i think it was get in liquid now normally if you go out and then go back later in the night you have to pay again but now you can go out sayin ur havin a fag get a stamp on ur hand go somewhere else then go back later on in the night

I wish it was like that in Stafford.

Went out last night for the first time since the ban, and at first it was alright in the pubs etc, just nipping outside - I have to at home anyway and it was reasonable enough to do so.

But then by the time we got to bloody Zanzibar, and went to have a fag, it was a nightmare. You have to go down a particular set of stairs (fair enough for that one,as the other steps are the entrance as well as for going upstairs or downstairs, these are just for going up and down.), have a bloody great red S on your hand (which we can only assume stands for smoker.... unless Zanzibar prove us wrong), and your only allowed to stand on the steps right by the building. It was mental, you could barely move or breathe because the area is so small, you had to leave your drinks unattended by the door as obviously they're not allowed outside with you. The actual stairs and corridor leading to the "smoking area" were constantly packed as it's used for people going up and down between the two rooms anyway, and it just was... eurgh. Horrendous.

Thing is, it hasn't put me off smoking. I don't smoke because I can smoke when I go out, I smoke because I smoke daily, and yeah I am addicted. So when I am out, I can put it off, but eventually, I am going to need a fag. And it's just a nightmare. Me and my friend both got burnt last night by people flicking ash just because we were so confined.

I do see the point of the smoking ban - I wont say I support it because I do think the extremety of it is mad - but I think more needs to be done to make things easier for smokers when in nightclubs etc rather than it just feeling like we're being penalised. I support everything else they've bought in, and now Stafford's bought in all these special bins, I'm totally fine. Just last night was ridiculous.

And on that note, since I've got myself all stressed, I'm going for a fag :D
  • Options
  • Options
    Over here they have applied a partial smoking ban. All pubs and restaurants that were big enough had to set up different enclosed places for smokers (which have really been effectively set up, most have glass doors and proper ventilation). And the pubs and restaurants which aren't big enough (there's a minimum of square metres) have had to opt for being all non-smokers or smokers.

I think this works out excellently well. The ones who don't want to go near the smoke don't have to, and the ones who still want to enjoy a cigarette while having a drink can do so. I fail to see why they can't apply something like this over there.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote: »
    Over here they have applied a partial smoking ban.

Wheres over here ? It sounds like a very sensible idea. Cant see it taking off in the UK then :p
  • Options

I think that just about says it all to be honest :)
  • Options
    I think this works out excellently well. The ones who don't want to go near the smoke don't have to, and the ones who still want to enjoy a cigarette while having a drink can do so. I fail to see why they can't apply something like this over there.

That system sounds better than the blanket ban we have.
  • Options
    I went round the pubs for the first time since on Fri night and found it a real improvement. I could see everyone in the bar, I could breathe all night, came home not stinking of smoke and the day after hadn't actually lost my voice due to the smoke effecting it.

To be honest there weren't even that many people smoking on the streets at pub door etc either and none of the smokers with us were bothered.
  • Options
    In Stafford, I hang around at Weatherspoons, The Yard and The Oxleathers. The Weatherspoons has a beer garden so smokers just hang out there and light up. At the other two pubs, they tend to go outside the main doors with their drinks and have a smoke.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Wheres over here ? It sounds like a very sensible idea. Cant see it taking off in the UK then :p
    Over here is Chile. You're welcome to move :p
  • Options
    Went out clubbing on Friday. It has a big terrace with leather sofas so you can go smoke and chill out there. I don't smoke but my mates do and when you're roasting it feels reaally nice outside. But inside towards the end of the night it did start to smell of sweaty feet and some farts. Gross!! :yuck:
  • Options
    When i went clubbing on Saturday, it was no different everybody was still smoking. Infact towards the end of the night we had a few spliffs going round.
  • Options
    Went out Saturday night. It was a warm night so outside the bar was busy, but inside was quiet. It was good though as we got some nice sofas and could watch these breakdancers.

In another pub though, the garden was rammed. It's good to see more outside seating, for everyone.

Saw a big fight outside one bar, the bouncers were just watching. I guess it makes it easier for them, with people away from their premises.
  • Options
    I think it's quite clever/sneaky of the Gov't to implement this bullshit piece of legislation in the summer where stepping outside for a fag is relatively kerfuffle-free because it's nominally summer. Thus once the weather gets really shitty and cold, people will be used to the ban and thus may be deterred from stepping outside owing to the shite weather. Can't really see many people sitting in outdoor terraces come November.

I wonder if Dave Cameron will repeal this silly law when he gets into power...
  • Options

Lol no chance unfortunately.
  • Options

It's never been about the customers though really. It's about the staff that have to work. Every other industry has safety measures it has to adhere to, so bar staff should be no different.
  • Options

Are you kidding? As long as him and his toff buddies can still smoke in parliament, he won't give a shit about anyone else.
  • Options

Why is banning a disguting habit silly?