Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Consequences of the smoking ban...

Yes you've guessed it, it's time for me, despite having given up for almost a week now, to comment on the smoking ban.

Tonight was the first (sort of) night out I've had since the ban and I don't know about you lot but I kinda wish the place I went to was filled with smoke. Admittedly I went to a rock pub to watch sweaty rock and rollers do what they do best but the place STANK of sweat, B.O. and farts. It was truly horrible. Both me and my mate (who also doesn't smoke) were disgusted by the smell and were it not for one of the best unsigned bands I've heard in aaaaaaaaaaaages, I would have left such was the stink. Now naturally in properly ventilated clubs/bars this wouldn't have been a problem but how many bars/clubs like that do you know? Granted I didn't come home stinking of fags but I had to breathe in air that in my opinion stank more.

To paraphrase a Bill Hicks skit, if giving up smoking means getting my sense of smell back living in the modern world, I'll take smoking.

Was just wondering what you all thought.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Was just wondering what you all thought.

that sweaty rockers need to discover the use of deoderant...
  • Options
    Box wrote: »
    that sweaty rockers need to discover the use of deoderant...

How very drole. You clearly don't understand rock and roll.
  • Options
    In my work local pub in Chelsea, a place where you could cut the smoky air with a knife before, there is now a bizarre smell that the cigarette smoke used to mask.

Not an improvement as far as the nose is concerned.

I am glad to see that the immense majority of shops have so far failed to put the obligatory 'no smoking' signs on their doors. Fuck the tosser who came up with such idea.
  • Options
    How very drole. You clearly don't understand rock and roll.

My heart bleeds! :lol:
  • Options
    I know exactly what you mean :grump:

I went out tonight to a 'sweaty rock pub' to watch my mates band and both me and my best mate noticed how much more disgusting it smelt without smoke being around. I kept getting a vague stench of sweaty feet all night. And this just wont be in rock pubs though, it'll be any pub where theres a lot of people and dancing going on.

Although it feels sooo good to come home and not have my hair stinking of smoke, I've come home feeling slightly unclean instead! im not sure which is worse. and lots of my mates kept doing disappearing acts now and then to go outside to have a fag. i do think its a good idea in the longrun, but tonight has made me think!
  • Options
    I went out tonight to a 'sweaty rock pub' to watch my mates band and both me and my best mate noticed how much more disgusting it smelt without smoke being around. I kept getting a vague stench of sweaty feet all night.
    Is there anything worse than sweaty, smelly feet? Even the odour from armpits is attractive in comparison.
  • Options
    I'm usually too pissed to notice any smells when I go out.
  • Options
    I know exactly what you mean :grump:

I went out tonight to a 'sweaty rock pub' to watch my mates band and both me and my best mate noticed how much more disgusting it smelt without smoke being around. I kept getting a vague stench of sweaty feet all night. And this just wont be in rock pubs though, it'll be any pub where theres a lot of people and dancing going on.

Although it feels sooo good to come home and not have my hair stinking of smoke, I've come home feeling slightly unclean instead! im not sure which is worse. and lots of my mates kept doing disappearing acts now and then to go outside to have a fag. i do think its a good idea in the longrun, but tonight has made me think!

I almost wished at times I still smoked so I could go outside and actually breathe some clean air (and yes, I realise the irony of that). But personally fag smoke is preferable to feet, b.o., sweat and farts.
  • Options
    My opinion is at least the smell of bo etc doesn't kill you and others around you.
  • Options
    Smoking only masked smells because you couldn't breathe in the first place. Usually tobacco smoke just added an extra layer to the bouquet, rather than getting rid of fart smells.

But BO doesn't give me cancer or trigger an asthma attack, so who cares:D
  • Options
    I think discussing the smell of pubs post-ban detracts from the much more serious implications and connotations the smoking ban has.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    My opinion is at least the smell of bo etc doesn't kill you and others around you.

:yes:

There was an article in the local newspaper asking for peoples' opinion's on the smoking ban. I can't believe some people were saying things like: (I'll find the link later for anyone interested)

'We should be able to smoke when and where we like'

'Our rights have been taken away'

:rolleyes:
    I am glad to see that the immense majority of shops have so far failed to put the obligatory 'no smoking' signs on their doors. Fuck the tosser who came up with such idea.

I've failed to notice any of the no smoking signs so far.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    :yes:

There was an article in the local newspaper asking for peoples' opinion's on the smoking ban. I can't believe some people were saying things like: (I'll find the link later for anyone interested)

'We should be able to smoke when and where we like'

'Our rights have been taken away'

:rolleyes:

Yeah, polarised opinions on this topic are increasingly prevalent.
  • Options
    Opinions are getting polarised because the ban has gone too far.

They should have always allowed either a small number of pubs to retain a 'smoking licence', or permit premises to have a self-contained, staff-free smoking area. That way everybody would have been happy and nobody who didn't want to breathe in smoke would have had to.
  • Options
    I think the pub i go to is gonna be fucked. About 70% of the people that go there smoke and already people that used to come in nearly every night just aren't bothering anymore.

I actually felt colder last night because the smoke wasn't there to make it feel warm, i think thats just psychological though :p but i think it did give the place an atmosphere, it feels empty without smoke.
  • Options
    I dont 100% agree with the no smoking ban. I'm attempting to give up using patches and the inhalor but I feel that resturants e.t.c should be on a smoking ban but they should have a few pubs where people who do smoke can go and relax. I can understand that it is meant to make everywhere a heathier place but just imagine if EVERYONE gave up. The government would put up prices on alcohol and petrol to make up for the loss of ciggarette sales.
    I think they should have thought it through. I've also noticed pubs are becoming emptier.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Opinions are getting polarised because the ban has gone too far.

Agree. Unfortunately, with polarised opinions very little sensible discussion takes place. You just get people sniping at each other. It's a shame that the groups who make the most noise - and are subsequently seen as representing the only two sides of the debate - are the people with the polarised opinions. All this leads to is the diminished chance of having this clumsy and draconian law amended - and probably smokers being further vilified and treated like lepers.
    They should have always allowed either a small number of pubs to retain a 'smoking licence', or permit premises to have a self-contained, staff-free smoking area. That way everybody would have been happy and nobody who didn't want to breathe in smoke would have had to.

I'm not so sure about smoking licensed pubs, but as for "self-contained, staff-free smoking areas" I'm in complete agreement with you.
  • Options
    No-one is treating smokers like lepers.

I think it's great. Off out tomorrow night, and there's one particular bar that I like, but has always made me cough as it's usually so smokey, so it will be nice to be able to stay in there without feeling that way.
  • Options
    I'm not really a pub goer myself, although it'll be interesting to see how my favourite nightclubs fare...

I think I'll be more affected by walking outside now, in terms of trying to get in and out of places through groups of people who are smoking. Moving one group from one place to another isn't really going to solve matters. Sure, I believe I have a right not to breathe in harmful things (don't get me started on the Tube, I wish they could have sorted the air down there first) but places like South Africa have worked quite well e.g. in a resturant we went to, the smoking section was literally separated by a glass wall, so you could still see people, but not smell the smoke, rather than the 'non-smoking' sections in some places over here where you could still smell smoke, but only be sat further away from it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Is there anything worse than sweaty, smelly feet? Even the odour from armpits is attractive in comparison.

sadly enough it doesnt cause cancer, and oddly some people like the smell of sweat :s
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »

Smoker refused adoption

Smoke adoption ban

Smoke ban for foster carers

Of course not.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I can't say I have been out to anywhere that has been full of people dancing and jumping etc, but I have been to 3 different locals and each one still smelt of cigarettes, and that was about it.

Suppose it will take a while for the smell to fully disappear.

Just go out armed with a can of Haze!
  • Options
    I think that they should have done what they used to have in parts of the US - a smoking section which is entirely sealed from the non-smoking section, with everywhere designated non-smoking unless they could prove that a smoking section would be completely seperate. This has just taken it too far, pubs are going to lose revenue, it's going to cost bars and clubs and absolute fortune to keep people a) warm outside and b) from being able to smell the reek of BO/feet/farts. Plus, as go_away mentioned, the fact that getting into anywhere is much more difficult as you have to go through a crowd of smokers all huddled outside the front door of a venue.

I smoke occasionally (i have one a day and used to smoke when having a drink in the pub/club) and to be honest, i'm more likely to stay at home now and have a drink and a cigarette. If i go to the pub i'll drink soft drinks as alcohol makes me want a fag, and i'm not prepared to freeze my arse off standing outside having it. Although i'm in a minority, i can ignore my want for a cigarette to an extent that i don't have to go outside.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »

Coming from the person who classes people as lower class just because they smoke... (from here)

Smokers, just like people in the countryside, old people and virtually any other group of people who don't vote Labour, don't live in a big city and don't read the Daily Mail or the Express are being shat upon by the people in power simply because they are a minority and can't fight back. I'm looking forward to the day when you need a permit to smoke...
  • Options
    Does this thread just underline how much of an impact smoking had on the atmosphere in pubs/clubs/ Isn't it just supporting the backgroud for the ban in the first place?
  • Options
    Does this thread just underline how much of an impact smoking had on the atmosphere in pubs/clubs/ Isn't it just supporting the backgroud for the ban in the first place?

Possibly. Though I preferred it how it was. I was just interested if everyone's first trips to the pub were as buttock-clenchingly revolting as mine.
  • Options
    Possibly. Though I preferred it how it was.

But you have to see the non-smokers p.o.v. no this? If all those smells were hidden by the smoke then just how bad was the smoke?
    I was just interested if everyone's first trips to the pub were as buttock-clenchingly revolting as mine.

Not yet, but your tale was much as I'd heard from Scottish and Irish friends...
  • Options
    Coming from the person who classes people as lower class just because they smoke... (from here)

Wow. Katchika certainly has interesting opinions about class and smokers.
    Smokers, just like people in the countryside, old people and virtually any other group of people who don't vote Labour, don't live in a big city and don't read the Daily Mail or the Express are being shat upon by the people in power simply because they are a minority and can't fight back. I'm looking forward to the day when you need a permit to smoke...

As far as I can see the smoking ban is just a cynical vote winner.
  • Options
    Wow. Katchika certainly has interesting opinions about class and smokers.

Yeah I thought I'd stick that in just so you'd get a little perspective whenever she posts on topics about smoking.
    As far as I can see the smoking ban is just a cynical vote winner.

Yeah. Perhaps to counterbalance all those lost by things like loss of rural transport links, loss of post offices and so on and so forth. Maybe after people get fed up of the smell of farts, sweat and feet people will demand the law be repealed? Hope springs eternal...
  • Options
    But you have to see the non-smokers p.o.v. no this? If all those smells were hidden by the smoke then just how bad was the smoke?

Don't you think how a pub smells is a moot point as far as the smoking ban goes? Inhaling second-hand smoke is detrimental to your health whereas the smell of sweaty feet and body odour is just unpleasant. I'd actually rather smell smoke than body odour, but that's personal preference, and certainly no basis for legislation.