Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Windows XP or Windows Vista

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What's better?
We run Windows XP, and wanted to switch to Windows Vista, but we've been hearing... horror stories about it.
In your opinion, what's best, XP or Vista?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    XP. wait a while before switching to Vista.

(Ignore all CoolMe's replies :) he works for redmond)
    Does your computer work okay? If so, don't change anything.

In my (vast) computing experience, XP is the worst operating system I've ever used. Even on top spec PCs it's sluggish and both at work and on home computers I regularly have to crash programs because the OS hangs so easily.

If XP works and you're happy with it then don't change it. Simple as.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    XP isn't great.

Vista is far worse.
    Nearly two months ago, I bought myself a new Compaq laptop, with Windows Vista Home Premium installed on it. A lot of people seem to struggle with it, but not me. Speaking from experience, I have had very few problems with it. The only part that was slightly annoying was setting everything up. Mainly because it took an absolute age to get started!
    The code is: Never go with the latest MS Windows until it has been mainstream for 2+ years, for stability reasons. I went W98SE in year 2001, 2000 SP4 in year 2004 and finally WXP SP2 in 2006. Vista will probably wait until 2009/10 until it's in my hands. Also, average PC's at this time won't handle Vista very well. I run WXP on 2 gigs of RAM. I'll wait until I have at least 4 gigs of RAM before I consider Vista.
    noog wrote: »
    XP. wait a while before switching to Vista.

(Ignore all CoolMe's replies :) he works for redmond)

I'll be the Biast person amoungst this topic:p

Vista depends on your Computering needs, for example if you just go on the internet and check your email, maybe some word documents or Excel then i would go with Home Basic - It does not come with the Areo theme hense not requiring alot of Resources.

If your more than an average user go for Home Prem. (This is where i buy you over :) )

I'm Currently using Home Prem and have ever only experienced 1/2 Blue Screens but that was not down to Vista, down to my GFX Card + Media Center.

If you are considering getting vista you need to take a look at your current PC if you are thinking about upgrading i would recommend 1GB of ram+ (Thats me)

And if you want to go be a dare devil you can go buy a Readyboost USB (Like me:angel: )

~~~~~~~~~~~

At the end of the day, Vista did just come out so you can expect problems but nothing is perfect :)
    Vista = a load of crap.
    Sofie wrote: »
    Vista = a load of crap.

You can only support that if you have evidence
    I like my XP. Wouldn't change. Not for 458904890302 dubloons.
    Vista is all about selling people something they don't really need - same as with the latest version of MS Office as well as making the programmes hugely inflated and extra slow so you're encouraged to go out and buy a new PC along with it.

Vista is just rubbish - doesn't offer anything XP can't do that is also useful.
    CoolMe wrote: »
    At the end of the day, Vista did just come out so you can expect problems but nothing is perfect :)

Please rephrase that : Because Microsoft are so appalling slack and arrogant, they push out a half-developed operating system before it is properly tested and try and force people to pay for it even when it is not needed (and in the UK, you have to pay MORE for the inconvenience).
    Results 1 - 10 of about 2,120,000 for vista sucks. (0.09 seconds)
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,820,000 for vista owns. (0.10 seconds)

Clearly, Vista sucks.
    http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=vista+rocks&word2=vista+sucks

tbh :p

tbh, I've used it, I dont mind it but wouldnt buy it, only use it as I got it with a laptop and pc
    Neither - downgrade to Win 2k. It's the best OS Microsoft have ever done and I still run it today as it's much better than the pretty, happy clappy ones they've done since.
    Neither - downgrade to Win 2k. It's the best OS Microsoft have ever done and I still run it today as it's much better than the pretty, happy clappy ones they've done since.

Although I use WXP now, I do agree with you there 100%!
    CoolMe wrote: »
    You can only support that if you have evidence

It's called an opinion.
    Sofie wrote: »
    It's called an opinion.

Nope, it's a well established fact amonst those people who aren't being paid to spread microsoft's lies :)
    Ooo i must say 2000 is a fucking lovely OS
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Ooo i must say 2000 is a fucking lovely OS

That's why I still use it :)

(and not at all to do with the fact that my laptop is approaching it's 7th birthday and I doubt it could run much else)