Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

tanning with fair skin

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have fair skin and freckles and thought i could make do with fake tan, i use the dove summer glow but the problem is it rubs off on white clothing and i'm worried that if i go swimming the chlorine is going to strip the colour and leave me streaky.
Any advice on how to get a real tan like on a sunbed or is it likely to just turn me into a lobster?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have the same skin as you (pale and freckles), and I find all those gradual self-tan moisturisers don't do a very good job. They tend to build up on my elbows and under my arms, and because I'm so pale the difference is really noticeable.

I use St.Tropez which I do at home. It's expensive, but cheaper on the internet, and I rarely get lines of streaks with it. And you can adjust the shade. However, it only last a week or so. If you wanted something longer, spray tans might be better, as long as you go for a real pale shade so the difference isn't too shocking. I wouldn't advise sunbeds though, really bad for your skin.
    if you want a real tan i suggest building it up really slowly, ie one week do 5mins on a tanning bed, then 7, then 10 etc (and try to go twice a week) and your tan should get darker and be maintained.
    If you were comfortable doing injections (tiny needles, same as insulin users) then you could use Melanotan II - but most people probably wouldn't go that far..
    do you use that cheesy?
    I have done, I loved it except it can make freckles/moles really dark or even new ones appear and I hate having excessively dark freckles on my face so I don't bother really unless I'm really desperate lol :D
    sunbeds are really dangerous, especially if you have that complexion.
    i'm super pale and don't really see a problem with it, if you have fair skin then tanning will only put you in danger of skin cancer, it's society's problem that tanning is viewed as desirable, i think that a lot of people look better pale than old and tanned.
    Amira wrote: »
    if you want a real tan i suggest building it up really slowly, ie one week do 5mins on a tanning bed, then 7, then 10 etc (and try to go twice a week) and your tan should get darker and be maintained.

You'll need to do less than that - most of the sunbeds are intensive stand up ones. I tan quite easily but when i'm starting out i have a couple of 4 min sessions, then about 4 6min sessions, then 8. If you're really that pale i would actually start with 2 minutes, it won't feel like you're making a difference but it builds up your tolerance.

Disclaimer: Sunbeds have been linked to cancer.
    I have fair skin and freckles and thought i could make do with fake tan, i use the dove summer glow but the problem is it rubs off on white clothing and i'm worried that if i go swimming the chlorine is going to strip the colour and leave me streaky.
    Any advice on how to get a real tan like on a sunbed or is it likely to just turn me into a lobster?

Really, don't do it. I am pale and used to use sunbeds/fake tan etc. It is so damaging for your skin, and in the end I decided to be happy with how I am. I also got badly burned on a sunbed when I was younger. Painful.

I was born pale, don't really get why people are obsessed with being tanned.

In the olden days, like in the 50s, women were pale and beautiful. I think you should just work with what nature gives you. At least you will stand out from the crowd.
    You'll need to do less than that - most of the sunbeds are intensive stand up ones. I tan quite easily but when i'm starting out i have a couple of 4 min sessions, then about 4 6min sessions, then 8. If you're really that pale i would actually start with 2 minutes, it won't feel like you're making a difference but it builds up your tolerance.

Disclaimer: Sunbeds have been linked to cancer.
    Don't shout at me, im not big on tanning and the last time i used a tanning bed i was on it for 15mins and it did nothing...but then again it wasnt one of the stand up ones.
    Amira wrote: »
    Don't shout at me, im not big on tanning and the last time i used a tanning bed i was on it for 15mins and it did nothing...but then again it wasnt one of the stand up ones.

I wasn't shouting :)

Yeah, the ones you lay down on you can stay on for longer - i wasn't sure which ones you meant so i thought it would be better to clarify than have someone burned to a crisp!