Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

So Smokers - Where you going tonight?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Makoto wrote: »
    I won't miss the stink of old fags on my shirt and on my skin after a night out.

Go to a lot of gay clubs then ? :p
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    I think this will help a lot of people to give up, maybe.
    and piss a lot of people off may be ...
    cancer operates by continued exposure to a carcinogen and proliferates through dna damage - somewhere the non smoking ban got it wrong: do not smoke outside within 5m of an entrance because of the effects of passive smoking... :yeees: its just OTT bollocks.
  • Options
    Ooh i went out and got all drunk an the like. I am going to miss my smoky nights out :( Although i won't miss the ruined shoes. Or the accidental burns i give myself.
  • Options
    I gave up 14 weeks ago today! :D
  • Options
    I was only ever a social smoker- so I guess I'm now a non smoker!
  • Options
    Nothing changed at our local last night anyway everyone was still smoking inside :p
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    Nothing changed at our local last night anyway everyone was still smoking inside :p

tut tut ;)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Have the lot of them shot.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    I've already walked in the pub with a fag and been shouted at. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Hooray! Went to pub last night and it was nice to not have it stinky.

Smokers seemed quite good and were all outside, granted the weather was ok though.

I'm really pleased, especially regarding restaurants and cafes.
  • Options
    So how is this going to be enforced ? I can't see coppers turning up every time someone calls 999 to report a smoker.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    I've already walked in the pub with a fag and been shouted at. :D

I feel quite sorry for the smokers tbh and the pubs etc just don't seem the same.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    So how is this going to be enforced ? I can't see coppers turning up every time someone calls 999 to report a smoker.

It is up to the council, who have employed enforcement officers. Largely though, it is up to the bars/clubs, as they face big fines if they allow people to smoke.

I think it's a step towards a social change. In the 50s people used to smoke on the bus and on planes, now that is seen as unacceptable (although you wouldn't know it on the top deck of many buses in Brum) and people just take it as given. So hopefully, in years to come people will look back and be surprised that it used to be legal to smoke in enclosed public places.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm hoping that one day people will read that there used to be people who smoked and they'll think "What the hell was wrong with them, was the general IQ so low back then?" But that's still a ways off, if it's even coming. :p
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    katchika wrote: »
    It is up to the council, who have employed enforcement officers.

Top work to Kirklees Council for employing a 20-a-day councillor in that role.

Duh.
  • Options
    for one im looking forward to not having a croaky voice everytime i get up in the morning after a night out cos of all the smoke around me. woop.

Thats cos of the alcohol, not the fags :p

I went out yesterday having stopped smoking a couple of weeks or so ago, absolutely loved it, came home smelling of the same aftershave I went out in haha. From the comments of smokers I've spoken to it isn't really that bad - most of them smoked a lot less because of it.
  • Options
    I went to the pub last night and i didnt have to put my jumper in the wash or have a shower to get the smell of smoke out of my hair before bed. :thumb:
  • Options
    I went to a very crowded bar last night and felt someone brush up against me and my first thought was see if my clothes got burnt by a cigarette - then I remembered smoking had just been banned indoors.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    I'm hoping that one day people will read that there used to be people who smoked and they'll think "What the hell was wrong with them, was the general IQ so low back then?" But that's still a ways off, if it's even coming. :p

I don't think your IQ has much to do with whether or not you smoke.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    I don't think your IQ has much to do with whether or not you smoke.

I think it's because we all know that it's doing us damage and we do it anyway :)

I chainsmoked on saturday night, just because i could.
  • Options
    I think it's because we all know that it's doing us damage and we do it anyway :)

But so do people who eat take aways, drink alcohol at the weekend, even spending time in a busy street with lots of traffic...

It was a bit of a sweeping statement in the first place.
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote: »
    But so do people who eat take aways, drink alcohol at the weekend, even spending time in a busy street with lots of traffic...

I'm surprised they haven't tried banning the consumption of alcohol in public places yet. That'll be the next thing.
  • Options
    I'm surprised they haven't tried banning the consumption of alcohol in public places yet. That'll be the next thing.

It is in some places isnt it?
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote: »
    It is in some places isnt it?

I think it might be on the street or something, but wouldn't surprise me if they tried banning it all together.

Even if you take your car for an MOT and you're a smoker don't they have to wait 20 minutes before touching your car or something ludicrous? I think that's taking it a bit far.
  • Options
    all these people sayin "oooh it was so nice it didnt stink"

people have been smoking hundreds of fags n the pub every day and night, for years

the smell of smoke doesnt just disappear because no1s smoked in it for about 12 hours

might not be AS bad, but ya can still smell it

i'd day its the smoke more than the smell that you can notice

its all in the mind man!
  • Options
    You would be surprised how quickly you can notice a difference though!
  • Options
    true true, but it'll still stink of fags for a long time :)
  • Options
    The smoking ban has been in Wales for ages so its weird hearing everyone talk about it. I work in a pub and everyone I've talked to has said how great it is. Pretty much all the regulars smoke and most of the bar staff and everyone agrees its much nicer. The smoking ban has worked really well here and I honestly hven't heard a single person complain about it
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    true true, but it'll still stink of fags for a long time :)

A lot of pubs round here closed to get cleaned. Ours didn't but it only took a day or two for the stale smoke smell to clear
  • Options
    Are there any other non-smokers troubled by how taboo smoking is now, that whole "ew, put your cigarette out, you're gonna, like, kill me" bullshit that smug people can get away with yet alcohol is as acceptable as ever?