Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

make your own saline

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anybody ever made their own saline spray? I know its just salt and water, but is there a certian ratio? Also, can you use just regular filtered tap water or would you use distilled water?

And I've heard sea salt is the best, but is there a real difference between sea salt and regular table salt? The only sea salt I have is in a grinder and its a pain in the ass to use, I have a freakishly weak upper body.

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    is it for your new piercing?

If it is, I used to just pour some salt into a cup and pour some warm water over the top so it would dissolve and keep stirring.

I had no mathematical ratio or what not, but then I live life on the edge! :p

Re: you being a bit weak. Get a big strong man (or Ed if you cant find one! :lol: - just kidding!) to grind some into a bowl for you so you can add it to the water. But tbh I never used posh salt, I had boring and ordinary plain salt and my ears havent fallen off!
  • Options
    If it's for a piercing, there is a ratio because too strong salt will irritate the wound more than help it heal. I think it's something like half a tea spooon of salt to one cup of water.

ETA: and the warm water should be cooled boiled water rather than warm water out of the tap, which is full of nasties.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    ETA: and the warm water should be cooled boiled water rather than warm water out of the tap, which is full of nasties.

:yes:
  • Options
    Yes, it is for my new giant bling :D Oh, very helpfull, ladies :D I knew there was a reason why I liked you ;)

Think I could make a big batch of it, all boiled and what not, stick it in a tupperware, then just pop some in the microwave when I need it? Or would that get the nasties back it.
  • Options
    dunno you lazy sod.
  • Options
    yup yup agreed. dunno whether I'm just making it up, but I think you're supposed to make each batch fresh. And, I think you are realy supposed to use sea salt rather than table salt.
  • Options
    Is this just to clean a new ear piercing?

I didn't realise it was so technical haha, when I clean my new piercings I just use boiled water in a cup, (warm-ish not hot) and put about half a teaspoon of salt in it, swirl it round then use a cotton bud/cotton wool to clean. am i doing it wrong? always works for me. hehe.

ps my_name what did you have done? :]
  • Options
    That sounds like what I was doing too, all proper and stuff, but it just too much effort and I was hoping I could make some in bulk and stick it in a spray bottle or something (because i'm too cheap to buy the stuff at the store) :o

I had the rook done a couple weeks ago and the conch on both sides a couple days ago :D

What have you got?
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    That sounds like what I was doing too, all proper and stuff, but it just too much effort and I was hoping I could make some in bulk and stick it in a spray bottle or something (because i'm too cheap to buy the stuff at the store) :o

I had the rook done a couple weeks ago and the conch on both sides a couple days ago :D

What have you got?

yeah i suppose it'd be easier to put it in a spray bottle, is a bit of a pain getting it ready every day.

oooh nice, you're brave having the conch done on both sides at once! i bet you cant sleep on either side now?! i want my rook doing next. in my ears i have tragus, anti tragus, 2 cartilege at the top and 2 lobe piercings. they're all in my left ear and in the right i just have two lobe piercings. anti tragus is my newest.
  • Options
    Oh the anti-tragus is a cute one, the tragus and anti tragus together must look awsome, :D have you got rings in them both?

Its not too bad to sleep on, the first 2 nights it was hard to sleep and I must have kept waking muself up, but pain from laying on it went away alot quicker than others.
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    Oh the anti-tragus is a cute one, the tragus and anti tragus together must look awsome, :D have you got rings in them both?

Its not too bad to sleep on, the first 2 nights it was hard to sleep and I must have kept waking muself up, but pain from laying on it went away alot quicker than others.

iv got studs in the both at the moment but i think im gonna change my tragus one to a ring when i get chance.

my anti tragus still hurts a bit when i lie on that side, sometimes i just take the pain or most of the time i turn over!
  • Options
    I want to see piccies you two!!
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    I want to see piccies you two!!

i did try, but it wasnt really happening! its harder than it sounds to take a pic of your own ear! haha. i'll try again tomorrow when im not so tired.
  • Options
    Alright, one more question, promise :p I found some saline nasal spray... in a nice squeeze bottle and all that. Its a nasal moisturizing spray and the ingrediants are: purifed water, 0.65% salt, dsp, benzyl alcohol, msp and benzalkonium chloride which is an anti infective thingy.

It sounds good enough to use, opinions?